The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cottage cheese?

cottage cheese?

Whats the consensus on cottage cheese? yay? nay? also, in general is it higher in carbs and fat then in protien? or visa versa.
    D.
    dieting newbie.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Has lots of great protein, not TOO many carbs and you can get it with little to no fat. IMO, TASTES TERRIBLE!!!
    "damn...can't beat logic like that.
    NAte is exactly right." - Tryska

im dieting to lose fat not to sample the best foods in the world if it tastes a little "not so hot" but it works.. im all about that
    d.
    short and plump

Cottage cheese is an exellent source of protien. I eat low fat and it has about 30 grams of protien per cup (2 servings according to carton) and mixed with brown rice it's a great meal. I love the tase of cottage cheese - just had some for breakfast.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

More power to you!!! I tried to eat it, but after multiple dry-heaves, I just couldn't do it. I think to me it's the texture.

Originally posted by NateDogg
    More power to you!!! I tried to eat it, but after multiple dry-heaves, I just couldn't do it. I think to me it's the texture.
    heh if it was high in protein and low in fat, carbs i would eat cardboard.. wait most protein bars taste like cardboard anyway
    d.

Originally posted by White_lightning

heh if it was high in protein and low in fat, carbs i would eat cardboard.. wait most protein bars taste like cardboard anyway
    d.
    lol, good point.

White-Lightning - I have been eating low-fat cottage cheese for about 7-8 months now and must agree with NateDogg with regard to the taste. I find it hasn't hindered with my weight loss and is a good source of protein. I browsed around the newsgroups and found its ideal to take before bed because of the slow digesting caesin protein. After about 7 months of dieting I couldn't care about the taste, and results seem to matter more.
    Thalapathi.

ps: however I do find that different brands of cottage cheese taste really different. My favorite has been the friendship brand which seems to taste better than other brands I have sampled.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 06-06-2002 at 12:52 PM.

Gee, am I the only person who likes the taste of cottage cheese? I don't even bother with getting low-fat; the full-fat kind tastes much better. It still has only 9g of fat, 26g protein, and1 10g carbs per cup(Well, the brand I eat anyway)

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

B&I- Whats the brand of cottage chesse you use? I have tried about 5 different ones and each of them taste different. Some seem to be better than the other, but I still dont "like" how it tastes.
    Last edited by thalapathi; 06-06-2002 at 12:58 PM.

Originally posted by thalapathi
    B&I- Whats the brand of cottage chesse you use? I have tried about 5 different ones and each of them taste different. Some seem to be better than the other, but I still dont "like" how it tastes.
    Since dairies tend to be fairly localized in terms of distribution, the brands in Ohio are probably totally different than the ones here in Michigan. They are some national brands--Breakstone's I believe(Which I don't like) Since you're relatively close, there might be some overlap in terms of brands. I can't recall the brandname of the kind I eat off the top of my head, though.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesnít realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

It all tastes the same to me and I LOVE the stuff!!!
    straight out of the carton w/ some pepper

Jedi Master
    hey stpatrick44,

i think i'll try that. cottage cheese with pepper. my wife's gonna look at me like I'm a freak-a-zoid tho'.

Add sugar free jam and it is the best thing in the world. Seriously natedogg try it.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Grasshoppa
    Am I the only one that wouldn't mind eating cottage cheese at every meal because it tastes good? =)

I eat 1% knudsen cottage cheese...tastes awesome. The nonfat that I used to get at trader joe's did taste like crap though.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Wannabebig Member
    Do any of you live near Oberwies Dairy's? Oberwies has THE best cottage cheese. I've tried many different kinds from the store and Oberwies is king!!

You guys should also try it with raisens (sp?) -- pretty good.
    I also have a hard time eating CC though. I have to try really hard to get it down. But the raisens help out a LOT.

I want to try putting cottage cheese and tuna in the blender some time. Even though I just nearley puked just typing it, I think it would be a killer snack, if it actually tasted decent.

Ecoli die
    I love the taste. Especially with some salt and pepper and fruit in it (pears, peaches, grapes). I eat 1% at least 1/2 a cup every night. sometimes I have it 2 or 3 times a day especially when I'm out of HB eggs.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Originally posted by smalls
    Add sugar free jam and it is the best thing in the world. Seriously natedogg try it.
    I actually might have to try that one, thanks smalls!

Cottage cheese is a must!

Cottage cheese has a great ratio of carbs/fat/protein and is a staple of a solid bodybuilders diet. It has been mentioned a few times already but I'll throw my 2 cents in on this one. I tried cottage cheese a while ago and thought it was disgusting but after trying a few brands I found one that was delicious. Now I love the stuff and eat at least 2 servings per day. So my advice to you is to shop around and buy a few brands to see what you like best.

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    Am I the only one that wouldn't mind eating cottage cheese at every meal because it tastes good? =)

I eat 1% knudsen cottage cheese...tastes awesome. The nonfat that I used to get at trader joe's did taste like crap though.
    Rock on!! I eat knudsen 1% every day.. can't live without the stuff becasue it tastes sooo good!

A little bit of fruit in it helps it out a bit. If I get late night cravings it's one of the things I reach for.

I guess I'll try the different brands thing maybe it'll help.
    Thanks
    -Chris

Originally posted by thalapathi

ps: however I do find that different brands of cottage cheese taste really different. My favorite has been the friendship brand which seems to taste better than other brands I have sampled.
    w00t! finally. someone who understands my love for friendship cottage cheese. i have been talking about it for like a year now, and no one around here understands why i love it so. evr other one just plain tastes nasty, after having it.
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

I used to love cottage cheese, now it's F'n nasty.. I mix my flaxseed oil and cottage cheese together as my last meal of the day, in hope of both of that nasty $h!t would cancel out the nasty taste of each other, instead makes a whole new crap taste..

Originally posted by jcybex
    hey stpatrick44,

i think i'll try that. cottage cheese with pepper. my wife's gonna look at me like I'm a freak-a-zoid tho'.
    lol that's ok when you're all pumped up from the protein, she'll look at you like a God.
    Last edited by Saint Patrick; 06-06-2002 at 08:06 PM.

Cottage Cheese Rocks! I just had a scoop of it in my salad today for lunch. Knudsen is probably the best brand I've had throughout the years (small and large curd). I just tried this brand called Berkley Farms and it tastes pretty good for being lowfat. The key to eating cottage cheese is pepper gotta have the pepper on it! Maby cottage cheese is one of those foods you have to grow up eating in order to appreciate??? My wife hates the stuff. I've eaten it all my 25 years.