Thread: Help! Smith machine

Ecoli die

Help! Smith machine

A friend wants me to work out at his gym and he doesn't have free weights, just a smith machine. Do I add 45lbs to the smith machine to compensate for the olympic bar?

Example: Olympic bar load with 140lbs do I load the smith with 185lbs?
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Blue veined member !
    the bar of the smith machine at my gym aqlready weighs 45lbs. Press with it and if u feel some resistance it`s probably the same. If i was you I would leave it alone and train somewhere else..tell your friend smith machines are hellspawn and should be burned lol.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

I like the Smith . . . Sometimes, but not for every movement, nor in place of FREE's exclusively.

I rotate between FREE's and Smith on some heavy movements when a spotter is not available or I have an injury which negates my ability to properly balance the load.

It's also great if one gets stuck on a weight and requires a mental boost to get past that plateau.

Everything in moderation.
    Last edited by MRJ; 06-06-2002 at 05:38 PM.
    Best Regards,

Ecoli die
    He just called and backed out. Decided he didn't want to work out, likes being a wimp.
    Now in pain, only working out the walking sticks.

Go to the gym anyway and start developing friends there.

After a bit you'll know who is/is not serious, who knows/who doesn't . . . Work your way into the core group by showing you ARE serious & you'll never be without a workout partner again.

Every time you show-up you'll have many.

I haven't had a w/o partner since I can remember and I'm doing fine.
    Last edited by MRJ; 06-06-2002 at 05:52 PM.
    Best Regards,