The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Seeking advice for weak chest lifts

My chest lifts seem to be dwindling and falling behind the rest of my lifts and I'm looking for any advice that may help. My bicep/back/shoulder/leg/and even triceps are moving up at a much faster pace than chest which seems like it's almost stalled.

My workout pattern is Back/Bicep on Mondays, Legs/Shoulders on Wednesdays, Chest/Tri on Fridays. Every 8 weeks I switch between 4x6s and 3x12s. And every 4 weeks I switch between dumbell and barbell on applicable lifts.

My chest/tri workout specifically includes: (i'm including the weights I'm currently at)
    -Bench (175, 4x6)
    -Weighted Dips (45, 4x6)
    -Decline Bench / Incline Bench (I switch between these every 16 weeks) (70, 4x6 dumbell)
    -Skullcrushers (80, 4x6)
    -Standing Tricep Extension (75, 4x6)
    -Closegrip Bench (115, 4x6)
    -Floor Press (145, 4x6)

If anyone wants additional info in order to give better advice I'm more than willing to give it, for reference, my deadlift is 255 4x6 and squat is 295 4x6. Should I make changes to my chest day or something? Any advice is much appreciated

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Are you gaining weight? If not it's time to up the calories.
    Consistency
    My Journal

yeah if youre not gaining weight you wont be gaining to much strength barbell / dumbell presses.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old
    prepping for my first show!

Wannabebig Member
    Ok, well my side goal when I started hitting the gym again was to get rid of some fat. I've dropped 30lbs since October. Makes sense though, I guess I figured if my other lifts were going up so should my bench and chest related lifts. I'll start trying to get some more calories in, but good calories.

Quote Originally Posted by jnewsom View Post
    Ok, well my side goal when I started hitting the gym again was to get rid of some fat. I've dropped 30lbs since October. Makes sense though, I guess I figured if my other lifts were going up so should my bench and chest related lifts. I'll start trying to get some more calories in, but good calories.
    You should be very happy that you have been gaining strength while dieting. Typically you need to choose 1 of 2 goals. Gain muscle, or lose fat. You shouldn't really expect to build muscle when you aren't supplying your body with enough calories to maintain it's composition. If you are still wanting to lose fat, keep dieting, and try and keep all your lifts while losing weight.
    Consistency
    My Journal

you don't need to gain weigh to get stronger; as for your lifts, all the numbers except for the deadlift seem to be right in line with the others. If you've been doing 4x6 for the past x amount of months, change up the rep scheme... maybe 5x5m or 5x3, or 4x4, etc. Also, watch the "So you think you can bench" video by Dave Tate...or at least that's what I believe it's called.

Oh and again your deadlift is well behind your other lifts. focus on that, not bench.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

cards i agree with everything you said except you dont need to gain weight to get stronger.. yeah you can gain a little bit of strength but youre not going to jump from a 150 lb Bench to 250 lb bench without putting on weight / mass.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    you don't need to gain weigh to get stronger; as for your lifts, all the numbers except for the deadlift seem to be right in line with the others. If you've been doing 4x6 for the past x amount of months, change up the rep scheme... maybe 5x5m or 5x3, or 4x4, etc. Also, watch the "So you think you can bench" video by Dave Tate...or at least that's what I believe it's called.

Oh and again your deadlift is well behind your other lifts. focus on that, not bench.
    Changing rep ranges/techniques will only get you so far. If you aren't gaining weight how do you gain muscle to move more weight?
    Consistency
    My Journal

CNS adaption, plenty of people get stronger without gaining size.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    CNS adaption, plenty of people get stronger without gaining size.
    like i said you can gain some strength without adding size but you wont gain 100lbs + on your bench without adding weight.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

I don't think CNS adaptation is good advice for this guy who is on a diet wondering why his bench is stalling.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the advice, I'll check out that video. And I'll see what I can do about my deadlift haha. Are you saying the bench is in line as with the other lifts as well? Well I've been on the 4x6 scheme for a 4 weeks this rotation, before that I was on 3x12. I can try switching to something else for the next 4 weeks.

do a variation of things man, incline / decline dumbbell, barbell. I move my focus around instead of just flat bench press. IMO flat bench press is probably the worse for chest development. I myself really don't do to much flat benching anymore. but thats another topic.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    do a variation of things man, incline / decline dumbbell, barbell. I move my focus around instead of just flat bench press. IMO flat bench press is probably the worse for chest development. I myself really don't do to much flat benching anymore. but thats another topic.
    I don't know if you skimmed the original post or if you're saying I should change up more often than I am, I do different chest lifts, not just the flat bench. Are you saying I shouldn't always do flat bench?

In reference to the deadlift problem, today I spent a little extra time on it and tried to up the weight more than I normally do. I ended up failing after 5 reps of 285lbs instead of 255lbs. Does this seem inline or should DL be even higher, perhaps past squats?

Does this seem inline or should DL be even higher, perhaps past squats?
    Yes deadlift is almost always higher than squat

I don't know if you skimmed the original post or if you're saying I should change up more often than I am, I do different chest lifts, not just the flat bench. Are you saying I shouldn't always do flat bench?

In reference to the deadlift problem, today I spent a little extra time on it and tried to up the weight more than I normally do. I ended up failing after 5 reps of 285lbs instead of 255lbs. Does this seem inline or should DL be even higher, perhaps past squats?
    If you're anything like me my bench press took forever to go up. It seemed like the more i focused on it the less progression i got. Remember its a marathon not a race. Figure out what works for YOU and stick with it. Remember you're strength is going to stall faster if you're not eating enough calories.

also, yea you're dead lift should be more than you're squat, but don't worry it will catch up. mine was higher for a good 6-12 months before it caught up.
    5'6
    191.5lbs 8% BF
    25 yrs old