The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

Cutting Heavy for Marines - Need HELP ASAP!!!!

So as of now I am 5'8 213 pounds. I was 236 pounds about two and a half months ago. My target weight is 194 lbs. Only problem is, for the last two weeks or so, i've plateaued and can't get below 213. I have tried literally everything. I've been on a very strict diet, getting my protein when I need it but essentially going hard on the fruits and veggies. I run about 40 minutes every day and hit up different machines at the gym to vary my cardio. I also PT with my recruiter and other poolee's once a week. Now i'm down to a month and a half left before my next weigh in and I really want to be down to 194 by then. I think i'm going to turn to supplements to help me now, because thus far i've been all natural. I have heard of two things over and over again. One is Oxyelite pro and the other is jet fuel. All i'm asking is which is the best for cutting weight quickly, and if they aren't the best what is??? Please help! Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by Clayton; 02-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Get off the treadmills and run outside everyday. You won't be on a machine in the Corps, so why would you train on one?

Fruit sucks, cut that out entirely.

Up the running to two hours. I guarantee you'll start losing weight again. Jet fuel and oxyelite are both just the same repackaged, reformulated crap that's been out for years. The former is caffeine, synephrine, guggulsterones, yohimbine, etc. etc., the latter is caffeine and DMAA. Waste of your time and money- even if they DO help, they're not going to shave weight off as quickly as you want to.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton View Post
    I've been on a very strict diet, getting my protein when I need it but essentially going hard on the fruits and veggies.
    That sounds horrible.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    RhodeHouse and Belial: I totally get what your saying. See before I started dropping the weight I was a linebacker for my high school and was a pretty big muscle head in the gym, so i pretty much am used to being there. Today I started my running outside, especially with the weather being beautiful in central pa right now. Mapped out my 3 mile path on google maps and made sure my run has some hard terrain to cover too. I'm hoping that the running will help me get over this little bump. I plan on starting out with just 3 miles a day and then upping it (been a while since I ran consistently outside.) And JacobH, bro, lets be constructive here bud i don't think we need any more trolls

First, I must ask how does your weight look at your height, Is it muscle or fat? I ask because weight standards don't mean anything if its muscles "you can get a waiver".

I think one of the most important things you need to make sure of is that you can do about 5 pull ups minimum, 100 crunches and make the 3 mile run in time.

The biggest mistake is going into the Marines and you get kicked out of your platoon because you can't pass the first IST test.

I can conclude by saying from experience, you will lose the weight easily in bootcamp, so your most important focus has to be passing the fitness test with ease. If you can already, disregard my advice but if you can't, I would highly advise delaying your entry.

And JacobH, bro, lets be constructive here bud i don't think we need any more trolls
    Not trying to troll man, I was just putting it out there that what I qouted from you originally just sounds like an awful base for a diet...especially on a bodybuilding forum. I understand you are dieting to simply make weight, but I think for anyone who is weight-training, (which I assume you are) protein comes FIRST. Fruits and veggies are LAST. Thats what I was implying by saying it sounds horrible. Because to me, it really does sound horrible. I assume you want to keep some of that muscle going into the marines.
    Consistency
    My Journal

Wannabebig Member
    Oh ya trust me i'm used to my meats and protein shakes it sucks major ass. I can post my before and after pics. I'd say most of it is muscle and thats all well and good but as you know the marine's weight requirements are crazy. I already passed my ist with flying colors so i'm not worried about that, and I have friends that have lost between 40 and 50 pounds at boot camp, that is pretty common. For me, I still have that gut from lifting heavy. I wouldn't mind sacrificing some muscle for some weight loss (ik, i can't believe i said that.) Its just that I really would love to be down 15-20 lbs in the next month and a half or so. Running will be a great start, my diet is good, i just wish there was a supplement that could help out a little. We can only dream!
    Last edited by Clayton; 02-28-2012 at 05:03 AM.

I wouldn't sweat it man. As i said, if you are passing the IST you will easily get a weight wavier. Once in bootcamp, your gut will be gone after the 3 months, i promise. You are better off working on just improving your fitness stuff and forget about the stress of losing a gut that will leave once in bootcamp.

All of your weight goals will be accomplished in bootcamp. After bootcamp you probably be back asking us how to put on 10lbs because you lost 30.
    Last edited by blackboard; 02-28-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Fruit sucks, cut that out entirely.
    Quote Originally Posted by JacobH View Post
    That sounds horrible.
    Indeed. Read up on Ketogenics.

the marine's weight requirements are crazy.
    Not sure if srs...

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    huh... I'm 10 lbs inside the max weight requirements for my height and I consider myself to be fairly soft right now.

Banned
    Before I joined the United States Army I poured through the internet looking for any kind of information that could help me. I wanted so badly to know what it was like to be in the Army. I already knew what it was like for the Soldiers I'd already met, but none of them were females like me. Let's face it, there is a difference between males and females in the military, and I wanted to know that difference. Unfortunately I never found any helpful information, so I up and joined the U.S. Army and experienced it myself.

Marine Corps weight standards are not that strict. Being a Marine, i have seen plenty of overweight or out of shape guys come and go. But like people have said, bootcamp will get you to lose a substantial amount of weight so dont sweat it. And you lose evem more weight at SOI. Do what you can now but dont kill yourself stressing out about it.
    Last edited by 03mach421; 03-20-2012 at 12:59 AM.
    6'1"
    200lbs
    Dead: 425
    Bench: 270
    Squat: 350