Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: An idea to keep less bombouts at big bench meets

Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    Baffon Mendelson? Only the 1st man in the world to bench 715 raw. Put your money where your mouth is.
    You must be joking right?

He's a super raw bencher, but Mendelson can't bench in a shirt to save his life. This is a thread about equipped benching so try and stay on topic

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    Yes, Bafoon Mendleson. He has more bombs than actual lifts....yet as soon as he bombs, he hits the computer to post how he hit a 1200lbs 1 board in training. I cant stand him and I wish he would simply go away

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    Baffon Mendelson? Only the 1st man in the world to bench 715 raw. Put your money where your mouth is.
    I'm not talking about his raw lift, dipshit. I'm talking about his consistent bombing in gear. i can miss 1000 or 1100 on the bench just like him.

Banned
    April, I'm gathering that you're missing the whole point. The idea is about competition. If one guy benches 700 to start, everyone has to do the same in order to move on. When you mniss, you're out.

The only event that I clearly remember at a strongman contest was the Deadlift Last Man Standing. I don't even remember where they started or how heavy it got. 12 guys started and 1 man beat everyone else. That's competition. It doesn't matter what the weights are. It's about going through the gaunlet against 10-12 other guys and winning. Being mentally and physically conditioned to kick ass no matter how many atempts there are.

Geared powerlifting is a joke, as we've all mentioned. This is a way to make it watchable. If some jackass comes in with a shirt too tight and bombs on the first attempt, at least we don't have to watch him bomb 2 more times.

i love the idea and hope that Gene makes this reality.

Lets get back on topic Vincent is brilliant!

As for Mendy namecalling is not necessary. Anyone who has been in the sport lfor any amount of time knows what he's all about. No question that physically he is probably the strongest bencher alive. But unfortunately he is the worst technichian in the game and has been for quite some time.

Yeah I know this coming from a guy that just bombed.......... again. I used to be consistant............ does that count for anything? LMAO!

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    April, I'm gathering that you're missing the whole point. The idea is about competition. If one guy benches 700 to start, everyone has to do the same in order to move on. When you mniss, you're out.

The only event that I clearly remember at a strongman contest was the Deadlift Last Man Standing. I don't even remember where they started or how heavy it got. 12 guys started and 1 man beat everyone else. That's competition. It doesn't matter what the weights are. It's about going through the gaunlet against 10-12 other guys and winning. Being mentally and physically conditioned to kick ass no matter how many atempts there are.

Geared powerlifting is a joke, as we've all mentioned. This is a way to make it watchable. If some jackass comes in with a shirt too tight and bombs on the first attempt, at least we don't have to watch him bomb 2 more times.

i love the idea and hope that Gene makes this reality.
    I always thought that exhibition contests should run with the old system of picking weights instead of the rounds (similar to how OL does it). Lowest to highest, no restarts. This way if you pick a manageable weight to open, you get rest for a bigger attempt and it makes it easier on the audience. I also like your suggestion too.

These type of expo meets and exhibitions need to cater to audience more. What makes the event fun and watchable? That will move towards more outside sponsorship besides gear companies and the occasional supplement company. More money and the best competition will come out and lift creating a more intense meet. Not having 80% of the meet bomb is a start. I always liked how WPO presented meets (lighting, card girls, etc.), just a shame finances fell through. But the collection of talent on those stages was very impressive.

I really wish the SPF and XPC could pull their talent together for one RUM style pro meet once a year and have the best talent on one stage regardless of fed. Make a uniform set of rules and throw a ton of cash. IF you want the cash, conform to the rules.

Rhodes, another good thing with starting and having everyone lift the same weight? You don't have to waste time loading!!!
    Reason 1 why PLing will never be on live TV.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I will give my input on this since I competed in this meet, and actually had a good day and placed 2nd, and went 2 for 3 on my attempts. Take the boards away, and work the shirt in a full range of motion--when doing lighter sets, just press the weight up when the shirt locks up. I competed in a meet 1 month before this meet. My opener was 720. I did touch this once in training, but most of the time used 1 or 1/2 board. At that meet, had trouble touching the 720--it would hang up right where the 1/2 board was, then struggle that last little bit. Bombed. I was fuckin pissed!! Something had to change. Went back to the gym, and asked Kara Bohigian Smith for help. I handed over the reigns to her and her husband Craig for my shirt work. First thing they said was we are getting rid of boards. I had 2 shirted sessions with them before the meet. At the XPC meet, I lowered my opener to 705. Went out and touched with ease--same shirt, same bodyweight. Some of it was mental, but the groove of the shirt felt so much better going down. It is amazing when you dont burn up alot of energy trying to touch--the weight goes up alot easier. lol. Kara and Craig are continuing to work with me on technique and set up/ mobility issues. I am positive I will hit a PR in my next meet, and I have been around a while and getting old (44). Kara is sure I will go 800 at 242 in the future as well as long as I can keep the injury bug at bay.

Smitty you have one good meet and now all the sudden your a pro? LOL! Just messing with you! You found your issues and corrected them and came back for more! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    April, I think you are a bit naive, the point of starting with around 700 is to get guys to use more reasonable shirts. I know most big time benchers say they can touch anything in their shirt. That is often not the case. This number hunting is what has made benching unwatchable. At the recent XPC 25 out of 36 benchers bombed. Due to no fault of the XPC mind you. Do you think for one second those 25 lifters planned on bombing? We are not to be trusted. And yes, this would absolutely be an exhibition, but still a contest.
    I guess it is kind of unreasonable not to be able to bring the bar down and touch with 700lbs. looking at it that way. If I was a spectator that watched one of these events and knew nothing about shirts, I would probably find that really strange. I won't even do a meet with a shirt until I find one I am comfortable touching whatever I would open with and pressing it easily every time, so I guess it's hard for me to imagine anyone going into a meet just guessing what they might be able to touch with. Pretty much everyone I have lifted with that competes with gear has known what they can touch with and have done so at least once or twice before a meet and has not had a problem with an opener unless it was way out of groove or something like that. So that's the way I am thinking about it I guess. But from what you mention, I guess a lot of big lifters are not doing this now.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Smitty, I could not agree more on how guys should train in a shirt. I actually pulled out of the Ironman because I had been touching in the gym and knew I was no longer going to be able to fit into that shirt. Weights that I needed to touch were just not working.

That said, it still doesn't fix the problem of bomb outs at meets. We can't go around saying guys aren't allowed to train with boards lol. I agree with what was said earlier, if these pro meets are going to be brought out from "underground" so to speak, they HAVE to be more interesting to watch.

Unless I'm reading April's response incorrectly, I don't think she's against the idea? Just voicing her thoughts on why some people may not be on board. It's an understandable argument. Any time you bring something new to a meet format, things will get interesting.

So Rob, does your response indicate you'd be on board with such an approach?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Travis. I am busting Vincents balls and he knows why. I have been in this sport for 20 years and have had my share of good meets to go along with a few bad meets. One thing has and always will be consistent about me is I say where I'm going to lift, when I'm going to lift and how much I'm going to lift. I did the rep thing at the Olympia and Dallas and although it was fun I didn't really consider it a real meet. If its going to be a real meet the lifters need to pick their weights not the meet directors. If a concern is bombouts then pick the best consitent lifters you can and enforce the two strikes and your out rule like they did in the WPO days. I am am going to compete in a meet it will always be on my terms no one will ever tell me what my attempts will be. Also for a successfull meet the equipment has to be legit. I have been to meets where warm ups were shit and lifters performances were shit. I have been to meets where warm ups were kick ass and performance on the platform was kick ass for the majority of the lifters. If the equipment, platform, and warm up is sufficient lifters will perform. I know this to be fact having lifted on the stage of the Arnold on two occasions. 1st year the warm up cituation was horrific and majority of the guys bombed. I was lucky to sneak one in for the win. I bitched to KK about it and the following year the warm up area was better and the majority of the lifters all performed well. I am not picking on the WPO but thats just an example. I have been to other big meets were situations were similiar to both examples.

LOL Rob. As you know, I have had my fair share of bombs at meets over the past few years. The last meet I bombed literally made me sick to my stomach. Had enough, and needed to do something different. I think it is definately a state of mind thing--either PR / break a record, or not. That is what we are all after. No one goes to a meet and thinks they are going to bomb out. But also there really is no consequence if you do bomb out. Maybe that could be an incentive for the XPC at the Arnold?? If you bomb out at the meet, then you will not be allowed to compete the following year? Hell, I dont know!!
    I agree Travis, no way to outlaw boards. lol. All I am going to do is worry about my training and my teams training. That is the only thing I can control.

I would tend to disagree. There are always consequences. If you bomb at a meet you just wasted however many weeks of training, suppliments, entry fee, travel costs. And I agree that everyone has to find what they need to do to correct their problems they are having after they have a bad meet. Boards no boards it all up to the lifter on how they train and prepaire for a meet. Many successful lifters have used boards for years and haven't had issues. Many successfull lifters have had success with out boards as well. Bottom line is find what works for you and fix what ever issues you the individual have be it strength, technique, or injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Unless I'm reading April's response incorrectly, I don't think she's against the idea? Just voicing her thoughts on why some people may not be on board. It's an understandable argument. Any time you bring something new to a meet format, things will get interesting.
    You're correct Travis. I'm not against it. Just bringing up points that will be brought up if you try to get someone to promote this. I guarantee at least some lifters will want to know if they break a record, will it count and be viewed as legitimate? And the promoters are gonna want to know good lifters are going to show up when you change it to a different format like that. Although if someone comes up with a $10,000+ prize for the winner at least (and maybe a few grand for 2nd and 3rd), I'm sure a good amount of people that have a shot at winning would show up regardless of format (if someone can find that amount of sponsorship money).
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    Travis. I am busting Vincents balls and he knows why. I have been in this sport for 20 years and have had my share of good meets to go along with a few bad meets. One thing has and always will be consistent about me is I say where I'm going to lift, when I'm going to lift and how much I'm going to lift. I did the rep thing at the Olympia and Dallas and although it was fun I didn't really consider it a real meet. If its going to be a real meet the lifters need to pick their weights not the meet directors. If a concern is bombouts then pick the best consitent lifters you can and enforce the two strikes and your out rule like they did in the WPO days. I am am going to compete in a meet it will always be on my terms no one will ever tell me what my attempts will be. Also for a successfull meet the equipment has to be legit. I have been to meets where warm ups were shit and lifters performances were shit. I have been to meets where warm ups were kick ass and performance on the platform was kick ass for the majority of the lifters. If the equipment, platform, and warm up is sufficient lifters will perform. I know this to be fact having lifted on the stage of the Arnold on two occasions. 1st year the warm up cituation was horrific and majority of the guys bombed. I was lucky to sneak one in for the win. I bitched to KK about it and the following year the warm up area was better and the majority of the lifters all performed well. I am not picking on the WPO but thats just an example. I have been to other big meets were situations were similiar to both examples.
    Fair enough. I see your point.

The two strikes thing would probably help as well.

Man do I ever remember the warmup room as well (I wasn't competing) what a hectic place that was at the WPO

I completely understand your point about wanting to pick your own weights, take 3 attempts and that's it. No nonsense, no fluff just lifting. I don't bomb hardly ever. it's happened a couple of times, but not very frequently so for me, the traditional system isn't a problem. I like it the way it is.

What is your personal opinion on the overall status of the bigger bench meets though? You've been around the sport a lot longer than I have so I'm interested.

Obviously I have no impact on the success or failure of this idea, I'm just expressing my opinion. I'm just a goofball who's too lazy to squat.

I like the idea; the continual jumps would actually make it seem more like competition opposed to a bunch of people going for individual personal records

What if they did something along the lines of raising entry fees, and giving the extra back if you don't bomb? (ie. instead of charging $100, charge $250 but if you make a lift you get the $150 back). The extra money from people who bomb could be used for meet expenses or prize money

My gym does a similar thing for a weightloss competition we run every year... not sure if it would work in this situation but it'd definaetly make me pick my attempts smarter lol
    I'm weak now, but not for long

This is like they did in the NFL with the incline press at the lineman challenge for a number of years at the pro bowl. It wouldn't be a powerlifting contest per say, but it would be a great competition which could be done with any or all if the 3 lifts which would speed up meet time and make it more interesting for sure. Internal competition is great, but this would be fun to watch.

Just get under the bar!

Banned
    If powerlifting "thinks" it can ever become a mainstream, viewer friendly "sport" changes need to be made. i understand that Vincent's idea is not considered a true powerlifting event. Powerlifting sucks to watch. i love lifting, but you couldn't pay me enough to watch it because of all the bombouts, not just the bench only huys, either. The sport is boring as all hell. The only people that care about it are us lifters.

Take a look at what CrossFit has done. There's a commercial on TV with Ochocinco promoting Reebok and CrossFit. Powerlifting will never be popular like that, but Crossfit is kicking Strongman ass on TV. Didn't they move Strongman for the CrossFit games?

It's been proven just recently in the XPC meet that majority of egotistical powerlifters are incapable of choosing weights they can touch, let alone lift. What happened to the days of not being able to press the weight? Now we can't touch it?????????????????? This is just a retarded concept for me. I get that ridiculous gear is here to stay. That doesn't mean all multi-ply contests have to be embarassments to the sport. We can still have meets were 85% of the lifters bomb out.

Why can't we have a meet where reasonable numbers are chosen and we can all compete to see who is the best that day? I get the whole "I'm a powerlifter and I'm a control freak so no one's gonna tell me what weight to lift blah, blah, blah..." Strongman weights are chosen and the guys just lift them. Why can't powerlifting take a page from that book for a few contests a year where we don't look like douchebags that can't make the bar touch our chests or can't squat deep enough cuz the gear is too tight???????????????????????????????????????? Maybe I'm fucked up? Maybe it would be fun to watch guys actually lift weight instead of pray for the bar to be in the right groove with the sun and Jupiter's moons aligned properly in order to maybe touch their chest.

I know I'm asking for too much. Lowering weight contests are here to stay.

Travis I will PM you.........

I love Vinny's idea and think a contest in this format would be great. I expressed my support on Outlaws a few weeks ago but the post is too far back to find now. Basically I said the increasing weight/last man standing format (vs. the round system) is very exciting to watch and can make things much more entertaining for the spectators. Hype it as a specialized meet like a pro challenge or bench-off. Not trying to change the traditional 3 attempt style, but mixing it up like this could be a real success. Also the preparation for this sort of meet, getting accustomed to touching lighter weights and conditioning yourself to make more attempts, could be very beneficial when you return to a regular format competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
    Kara is sure I will go 800 at 242 in the future as well as long as I can keep the injury bug at bay.

At LEAST.

Thank you for the props Smitty, but you did the work and put it all together at the meet! Just think what training is going to be like if one of these last man standing meets happens...Craig will have you pushing the prowler and flipping the tire between sets for endurance lol!

Hi Kara. Glad you are posting here .

Hey Chris! The forum looks great. Glad my account was still good Hope you've been doing well!

My thoughts on this. Probly not wanted..i have bombed a lot lol

First, i dont think a lot of lifters are just "guessing" at what numbers it takes to touch. They might be using boards or not, but for the most part they have done what they are opening with in training or have done it at a meet. I have seen lifters use boards exclusively in training and touch just fine. I have also seen lifters touch everything in training and bomb at a meet. Just saying a blanket statement like "dont use boards" or " just open lighter" doesnt always work.

Second, this idea could work, but a lot of big lifters might not like the fact they might not get a shot at a record or even a pr. Money can change this some, but who knows.

Third, how does the starting bar weight get chosen? This format could result in 6-8 attempts. The lifter doesnt get a say in any of his attempts. All chosen before by a person who doesnt know what that lifters training has been like or what that lifter is capable of?

Seems like a long shot. I dont know.....maybe?
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

This reminds me of a thought i had a while back about big meets and format changes. Since this is march and the ncaa bball tourney is going on lol. What about a tournament style format? 3 weight classes. 6-8 lifters per class. 2 lifters are matched by closest best lifts in prior meet. Lowest number picks a number and both lifters have to attempt it. One misses they are out and moves on to the next "round". Last man standing wins.

Example: vinny vs. Paul
    i pick starting weight since vinny has benched more than me(840 vs 850).
    I pick 750 and we both hit it. I got 1st pick so vinny gets to pick next weight. He picks 805. He hits it and i miss. Vinny wins and moves on.

You would have to have at least 8 in each of the 3 classes for this to work, but it also allowa to keep lifters in the meet ans still gives them the ability to picks some of their attempts. I dont know. Probly stupid. One thing for sure. Rob will say i over thought the whole thing lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden