The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guys and girls, I like all the ideas. I may have added to this, but I don't want to be a problem. I love this sport. I love multiply lifting. I wish everyone the best with whatever they choose. Anyone who knows me knows I never root for people to miss, especially those i compete against. I just do my best to be better that day.

This is my idea. I presented it to Gene and he likes it. I am hoping we can put something together to show everyone just how f%cking cool it can be. I want benching back at the Arnold. From what I gather multiply powerlifting is in, but benching is not necessarily. That says something right there.

I apoloqize if I offended anyone as that was not my intent. My true intent is to be a part of what I think will be one of the most exciting bench contests that has been put on in some time.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

OK I have talked this over with Vincent and even talked with Gene about the possibilities. All I can do is keep an open mind and what ever is decided for the next big meet I will consider it. I say fuck all of you guys that can't bench over 850 lbs. I'm all for starting at 900 lbs and moving up from there. If I have to start at 700 lbs I'm going to have to do about 10 singles to hit a PR. I'm sure guys like Roadhouse have awesome cardio and stamina and can do 10 sets of compitition reps all ego aside. Some dude that benches 400ish doesn't impress me when he runs his mouth.

Like I told Gene I will listen to the meet options and decide if its worth my time or not. Becuase despite what some of you little people may think this old fucker still has a lot in the tank!

Boom....stuff just got real! Lol.....hey, wait a min, i cant even bench 850. Damn rob, why you gotta be so mean? Lol
    Sponsored by:
    OverKill Strength Equipment
    APT ProWristStraps

Success is usually achieved by always doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability." John Wooden

Rob, your post reminded me of something I forgot to add in my first post. My enthusiasm for this format is more for the "last man standing" concept than anything. They do this with some of the events in Highland Games and the crowd loves it...but the guys choose where they want to open. If a similar style was done for bench and the bar started at 700, you wouldn't HAVE to come out until 900++ or whenever you felt like it. I realize this doesn't solve the problem of bomb outs, but I'm not sure requiring low openers is a complete solution either. I hope y'all will continue brainstorming and talking about it some more. I just think from a fan/spectator standpoint it would be cool to see you guys get on a roll and keep going 'till one person is left kinda thing. Rob, we've all seen you have days where you just grind out lift after lift and it looks like you could still go up for 2-3 more attempts. That's what I'm talking about when I say it would be cool to watch!
    Last edited by kara; 03-17-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Kara I'm much older now I dont know how much grinding I want to do anymore.... LOL! Like I said I will keep an open mind. Vincent and Gene are good friends of mine and I have a lot of respect for both of them. I'm all for having a good time but not going to say yay or nay till I hear how it will actually pan out.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
    I handed over the reigns to her and her husband Craig for my shirt work. First thing they said was we are getting rid of boards. I had 2 shirted sessions with them before the meet. At the XPC meet, I lowered my opener to 705. Went out and touched with ease--same shirt, same bodyweight. Some of it was mental, but the groove of the shirt felt so much better going down. It is amazing when you dont burn up alot of energy trying to touch--the weight goes up alot easier. lol. Kara and Craig are continuing to work with me on technique and set up/ mobility issues.
    ^^ shirt bench guru imo.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Why can't we have a meet where reasonable numbers are chosen and we can all compete to see who is the best that day? I get the whole "I'm a powerlifter and I'm a control freak so no one's gonna tell me what weight to lift blah, blah, blah..." Strongman weights are chosen and the guys just lift them. Why can't powerlifting take a page from that book for a few contests a year where we don't look like douchebags that can't make the bar touch our chests or can't squat deep enough cuz the gear is too tight???????????????????????????????????????? Maybe I'm fucked up? Maybe it would be fun to watch guys actually lift weight instead of pray for the bar to be in the right groove with the sun and Jupiter's moons aligned properly in order to maybe touch their chest.

Quote Originally Posted by kara View Post
    They do this with some of the events in Highland Games and the crowd loves it...but the guys choose where they want to open.
    The general format for HG height events is like this:

Each competitor will be allowed three attempts at each height.

Each competitor may enter the event at any height in the competition.

A competitor may pass any height they choose, but each height attempted must be cleared before attempting the next height.

If a competitor has passed a height it is not considered a miss or a make and will not count for or against the competitor.

When a competitor has missed three attempts at one height then he will be eliminated from the competition.
    So for our Weight over Bar, it might start at 12' and go up 1' until there is 3 competitors left.

12', 13', 14', 15', 16' (only three guys make this), Height is then decided and agreed upon by remaining competitors. Could be 16'3", 16'6", 17', etc....

So for benching that format could be used, and start the weight as low as the smallest bencher in the comp wants. Everyone can pass until they feel it's their time to come in.

Perhaps the money in HG is a factor (along with it being one of several events obv), but pretty much no one ever 'no heights' (bomb) the WOB.
    Last edited by C. Smith; 03-17-2012 at 06:17 PM.

Craid I understand the concept but how tough is it to choose your warm ups to assure that you don't get warmed up to early?

Passing on attempts ruins the whole concept. There will be plenty of guys who think they'll be able to hit a heavy opener, just like at a meet. There are plenty of meets during the course of the year where guys can go for over 900 and 1,000. Also, no offense to anyone, but the majority of the Arnold crowd does not care what big name benchers compete there. They don't know who they are. They just want to see a spirited competition.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

Wannabebig New Member
    Rob - it's not that tough at all. I know beforehand what attempt I can make 100% of the time, which in a format like that is essential, and I'm always coming in and getting that. I'm trying to win a competition, not set a PR. If I set a PR while doing that then it's just an extra bonus.

So say the attempts start at 650, and go 650, 700, 750, etc... you would have an idea of when to start warming up based on that. Nothing is perfect for ensuring you're getting the 7-10 minutes (or whatever the current research says is optimal), but I don't see it being any different that the current warm up for a meet.

Vinnie - I understand your point, and the fact that you're trying to avoid the bombs, but without passes you are limiting your field size and potential competitors. That's why I mentioned the incentives ($, swag, whatever) of actually winning or placing in the competition. Hell, make it so records don't count if that makes a difference. I think what you also can do is base your invites on who actually makes lifts in comps, or have qualifying comps with that as a criteria. If someone benched a WR in 1986, but has bombed every meet since then, they probably wouldn't get an invite.

Chris, I think most of us agreed records could not count in this format. It's a competition/exhibition, but not a meet. Limiting the field of competitors happens with any pro show. That's the point of it being a pro show. That being said, according to powerliftingwatch there have been close to 100 lifters from the 242 class and up who have hit 700 or more this past 12 months. That shows there is no shortage of guys who could at the very least open with 700. Of course there would have to be a different weight for the lightweights. This is all a work in progress in my head. Bouncing ideas around like this really helps.

This is by no means what is going to happen. These are my ramblings. I only spoke to Gene once when he voiced how he liked the idea of the last man standing. I just don't want there to be any confusion.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 03-17-2012 at 09:58 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    CRAIG, I think most of us agreed records could not count in this format. It's a competition/exhibition, but not a meet. Limiting the field of competitors happens with any pro show. That's the point of it being a pro show. That being said, according to powerliftingwatch there have been 84 lifters from the 242 class and up who have hit 700 or more this past 12 months. That shows there is no shortage of guys who could at the very least open with 700. Of course there would have to be a different weight for the lightweights. This is all a work in progress in my head. Bouncing ideas around like this really helps.

This is by no means what is going to happen. These are my ramblings. I only spoke to Gene once when he voiced how he liked the idea of the last man standing. I just don't want there to be any confusion.
    Understood. As someone who's been a professional strength athlete for a decade I was just sharing what's done, and what works, in other sports. Good luck with the concept though, I hope you guys can get something together.

They have a similar thing in team roping, the sport I competed in. Okay, it's not powerlifting, but it has some parallels. Everybody wants to rope a steer as fast as they can and make the record books; they have venues for that. But they aslo have 10 steer competitions and it's a big draw for the crowds. At rodeos everybody is gunning to go as fast as they can and it leads to a lot of missing. At the 10 steer competitions everybody is forced to slow it down a bit and the catches increase considerably. The audience loves the 10 steer competitions because they actually get to see their favorite pros do some "good" roping. Everybody understands that 10 steers and rodeos are two different animals and the winners of each have much respect in the roping world.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    In strongman there are 'rising bar' or 'last man standing' events, and in most cases they are pretty crowd-friendly. Generally the starting weight will be light and there will be moderate jumps - in some cases once you jump in you cannot skip a lift, and in other cases you can jump in anywhere and take up to three lifts but if you miss you are done (and you have to go as the bar rises so you cannot pick exact weights). Usually larger jumps are used until you have only a couple of competitors left and then there may be smaller jumps.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

So the point is to get everyone to bomb except one guy, lol, just kidding, love the idea good luck to u guys...cant wait to see it, if it flys

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luyando View Post
    OK I have talked this over with Vincent and even talked with Gene about the possibilities. All I can do is keep an open mind and what ever is decided for the next big meet I will consider it. I say fuck all of you guys that can't bench over 850 lbs. I'm all for starting at 900 lbs and moving up from there. If I have to start at 700 lbs I'm going to have to do about 10 singles to hit a PR. I'm sure guys like Roadhouse have awesome cardio and stamina and can do 10 sets of compitition reps all ego aside. Some dude that benches 400ish doesn't impress me when he runs his mouth.

Like I told Gene I will listen to the meet options and decide if its worth my time or not. Becuase despite what some of you little people may think this old fucker still has a lot in the tank!
    Wow dude. Sensitive? You're one of the biggest benchers of all time and you show that you have absolutely no self-esteem. I'm thankful that I have more life accomplishments that bring me joy and satisfaction that just lifting.

"Fuck all of you who can't bench 850..." That was great. I actually laughed out loud. And your further comments about my incredible conditioning... I just don't know if I'll be able to recover from that. What a blow to my fragile ego. I'll send you the bill for my therapist.

One of the biggest benchers in the world whose afraid to try this format doesn't impress me. So I guess we can agree that neither one of us are impressed with each other.

And life goes on...

Rhoadhouse first off majority of my coments were in a joking matter so who is the sensitive one. I have no beef with you or anyone else for that matter. I know you are friends with Vincent so you can't be that bad of a guy. We all have the right to choose how we compete. I'm not afraid of any format I have competed in the reps contest on two occasions hich was verry similiar to the concept that Vincent came up with only doing mutliple reps instead of singles. Even though I won a couple of grand competing its not how I would choose to compete. And with the rep contest the weight started light and moved up. There were still bombouts so not so sure that is the answer either. I can adapt to any conditions as I have done so over the years competing all over this country and world. I'm not here to impress you or anyone else I do this sport because of my passion for it. It is just a one of my hobbies.

Chris Smith thanks for taking the time to explain yourself. I like the sound of that format and style.

But like I said I will keep an open to the meets options and if I like it I may consider if. I just hope if I do I can go head to head with Rhoadhouse and when its over Vincent can by my beers!

Banned
    Don't trust Vincent's judgement on picking friends. I can see your point. I really can. I'm not a World Record holder. Chances are, I'll never bench 800lbs. Hell, my goal is 700. So for me, watching the crazy numbers put up is surreal, in a way. I can't fathom it. Just like everyone outside of our sport. I love powerlifting, but it's getting embarassing. We (multi-ply) lost the Arnold to the USAPL! It wasn't all Kieran Kidder. Watching 80% of the "best" benchers n the world bomb doesn't make for a fan base. When you talk about the Arnold, powerlifters will go. But, there are way more "fitness-type_ people there than us powerlifters. Those are the people who don't understand how ridiculously hard it is to use gear.

That being said, if multi-ply lifting and benching wants the Arnold back, we have to make the event watchable to Johnny Average who has no clue what gear is. It's not a perfect idea, but the idea of 10-12 guys benching 700+ lbs is amazing to people outside of our circle. And, with guys like you, Vincent, our training partner TT - that's 3 guys who can hit 700, 800+ lb benches. It creates a "show" for the audience. It doesn't have to replace true powerlifting, but 2-3 times a year at big venues, It might actually get people to stop and watch.

It's not a powerlifting meet, it's a bench press competition.

Off my soap box... Obviously, you have the right to compete how you choose. Something like this could make powerlifting watchable. On top of that, it would only add to some of you huge benchers' resumes.

Again, don't trust Vincent's choice in friends. He only keeps me around because I give him great lift-offs.

Just for info, C. Smith is Craig--Kara's husband. My name is all the way spelled out for ya. Craig likes being difficult like that. lol. He should probably change it to his real name -- Smashius !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith View Post
    Just for info, C. Smith is Craig--Kara's husband. My name is all the way spelled out for ya. Craig likes being difficult like that. lol. He should probably change it to his real name -- Smashius !!!
    Yes I know Smitty I meat to Say Craig in my post.... Was trying to do more then one thing at a time.

Rhoadhouse,

We (multy ply) didn't loose the Arnold. The last year it was held on the State at the Arnold the majority of the lifters got lifts in. KK lost the Arnold. Talk to people that know Mr. Lorimer and they will tell you that KK's attitude and not making things right with the lifters and being to demanding is what got the WPO ousted from the Arnold. That is fact!

Anyway no sense in beating a dead horse into the ground.

OK, let's solely blame KK for losing the Arnold. Regardless of that, why do we think multiply powerlifting is invited back to the Arnold as of right now, but bench only is not?

Dr. Subtotal
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    OK, let's solely blame KK for losing the Arnold. Regardless of that, why do we think multiply powerlifting is invited back to the Arnold as of right now, but bench only is not?
    The Titan Pro Bench Meet is on Sunday, and the issue of bombs was brought up repeatedly the past two previous years. Half as many bombs this year as compared to last, and 1/3 as many as two years ago. This is closed back, single ply, which shouldn't be too ridiculous to touch in.

IF the multiply meet goes over well, which it should especially if it's on the big stage, I think if it offered a different setup than a standard bench meet like the Titan one, someone like Gene or the XPC could get it in easily.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

[QUOTE=vdizenzo;2548224]OK, let's solely blame KK for losing the Arnold. Regardless of that, why do we think multiply powerlifting is invited back to the Arnold as of right now, but bench only is not?[/QUOTE

Just did! 95% of the blame remains in KK's hands. The other 5% is that Powerlifters aren't pretty like all the figure sports that are put on the main stage.

I have competed on the main stage two years in a row. Fun times. If it makes it back great if not I will still have fun at the Arnold. Working the MHP booth with sexy fit women and MHP Athletes. Lets see Michelle Wood, Kimberly Sheppard or Vincent Dizenzo and Rhoadhouse. That my friends is a no brainer.

Stay tuned, I feel a challenge coming on.

Wannabebig Member
    I think the word getting pimp slapped over and over is "buffoon", I don't like being the spelling police but come on guys, try a little bit harder.

The idea for the Last Man Standing has some real merit, I am truly sick of watching people bomb out (although a bunch of people bombing out is responsible for my only 1st place Open finish) trying to move opening weights that they've never even hit in training. I don't think it hurts the sport to add a little intrigue and excitement to an event.