Thread: Meet write up from XPC coalition meet

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar

Meet write up from XPC coalition meet

My training cycle went really well for this meet. I felt confident in my planned openers of 930-675-and 700.

At three weeks out I was hovering around 320-325 and was hoping to bloat to around 330-335. I ended up with a 2 week flu and even after eating a few times on the ride out to Ohio I still weighed in at 311.

I hit my openers 2 weeks out at only 314 so I felt okay with being light.

In the warm up area ( and it was an awesome warm up area, 3 monolifts, good bars and lots of weights) my last warm up was 850 and it felt really solid. Dick Zenzen was calling my depth and he called that one a good inch in the hole. With the pressure in my head from the lingering sinus infection I couldn't hear his UP call...

I left my straps loose for my 1st attempt at 930 and asked Dick to call me 1/2" in.
    The stand up felt solid but a little forward, not too bad, and I got down easy but lost it in the bottom for a no-lift. I was especially proud of this lift though,because of the sinus pressure I popped something in my eye. I've blown out blood vessels squatting big before but this was the first time I've had blood actually run down my face from it. Normally I just get a red eye. So even though I missed the lift badly I still felt okay with it. LOL

We tightened my straps for a repeat second attempt and the weight shot up only to go forward at the top for a no-lift.

I jumped to 950 for my third and lost it at the top again for a bomb-out on squat.

I've heard guys at the meet complaining about a soft platform, sometimes a big room like the sports center we were in can draw a lifter forward, bad monolift, etc... but in the end of the day it was me who didn't perform. There were a lot of guys losing their balance at the meet, but the fact that a bunch of guys DID put up great numbers means that it wasn't impossible to get a lift in regardless of any issues. I need to go over my video and find where my problem was so that I can fix it and not have these issues next year. Maybe just visiting other gyms so that I get used to squatting on unfamiliar monolifts.... who knows....

Dan Dague and Gene Rychlak put on a hell of a meet. The venue was great, the warm up area was better than any I have ever seen, judging was tight but very fair, and even though I put on a terrible performance at the meet I still had a lot of fun. I only started in this sport a few years ago, so it was amazing for me to be able to lift ( poorly) on the same platform and in the same flight as the guys I looked up to when I was starting out.

Hopefully next year I'll do better, as far as meet performances go this one was pathetic. The meet itself was cool enough that I still had a lot of fun and I got to meet a lot of really cool people.

Highly recommend that everyone on here check this meet out next year.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Sorry to read of your performance. Nice recap and nice job not putting the blame on anyone. Good luck with your next meet. You'll come back stronger.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Barzeen nice meeting you out there, it was a learning experience for many and you have a great attitude I can see you will come back even better and stronger my friend, I hope to see you on the platform at a big meet again soon my friend.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." Proudly sponsored by reactionnutrition.com
    Current PR total 1930 @ 198
    198 Comp prs 730 squat, 650 bench, 625 dead
    220 Comp prs 700 bench,606 dead

It took guts to get out there and give it your all after being sick and losing so much weight. You'll get your numbers next time for sure.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

I hope you bounce back stronger next meet. Bombing has its place as it shows you how good having a solid meet can be.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Sorry to hear things went wrong on your squats. Coming off the flu is tough. A lot of it going around here lately. Trying to avoid everybody at school and my kids look upset with me when I won't give them a high 5 or a hug at P.E. So, I spend 1/2 my days lately explaining why I'm so standoffish so they don't get their feelings hurt. I've relaxed some this week since my meets are out of the way now. Rough luck on getting the bug. You'll kick butt next time I'm sure!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Thanks guys.... now it's just a matter of finding another meet to go and hunt down some of the numbers that I wanted.
    I have a commitment the same day as the APF IL state meet, and will not be able to do senior nationals because of work.....

I'm thinking of doing the SPF meet in St. Louis at the end of March..... anyone on here planning on attending?
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!