Thread: New Guy Here

Wannabebig New Member

New Guy Here

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm fairly new to lifting (Thanksgiving week of 2011.)

I started lifting because I was starting to feel like a sloth. At the beginning of 2008 I was a 378 pound, 5'11", obese, out-of-shape man. I decided enough was enough and went on a low fat diet. Started running that March and worked my way down to 260 pounds. In November of 2010, I ran my last of 3 full marathons and 2 50K races. I bought a bicycle and started riding. I rode multiple 100 mile rides and never lost another pound. So, in November of 2011, I made the decision to accept my endomorph-ness and joined a local gym's 5 week Christmas special. I acquired some equipment during that 5 weeks (thank you Craigslist) and started lifting at home by the end of my 5 weeks.

Currently, I'm 275 pounds. I'm using the 5/3/1 Boring But Big program and have a goal of lifting in a powerlifting meet someday. Once I hit the 1-2-3-4 plate lifts (135 overhead press, 225 bench, 315 squat, and 405 pull) I'll start to evaluate a cut and meet. I figure I can hang onto my body weight--or lose some--while I get stronger. Then, I'll concentrate on dropping body fat while working on maintaining strength.

So that's me in a long intro. Looking forward to learning a bunch,

Congrats on the huge turn around.

As a relative newbie here myself I can definitively say: You're in the right place.

Welcome and enjoy!

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks folks. Looking forward to the journey!!

Welcome mate!
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    Hope to see more news from your training...MAKE A JOURNAL (Please)
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

Wannabebig New Member
    Im new here and looking for info. I have been lifting raw for about 2 years and just discovered the bench shirt! Wow i really like it and have picked up on it pretty quick. Im hoping to find more info on shirted lifters