The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The problem with our current president is that he has no experience in the business world, so he has no idea how it works or how to promote it. As a testament to his experiences, they really don't matter given he was a constitutional law professor who questions the constitutionality of the supreme court striking down laws- brilliant.

No matter how you cut it, any one of the Republican candidates would do better.
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." - Ronald Reagan

My Log

Quote Originally Posted by Etype View Post
    , they really don't matter given he was a constitutional law professor who questions the constitutionality of the supreme court striking down laws- brilliant.
    This is a silly comment that's been parroted endlessly in the media, and in fact illustrates that politics is about message and persuasion more than facts. I don't think there is anybody out there naive enough to truly believe a Harvard Law graduate is unfamiliar with judicial review, after all, he passed the bar. The entire point of his statement was not to state that the court had no precedent for overturning the legislation, but rather than it was not the right thing to do.

His quote was: ""Ultimately, I'm confident that the Supreme Court will not take what would be an unprecedented, extraordinary step of overturning a law that was passed by a strong majority of a democratically elected Congress,""

This is perfectly accurate with history- the Supreme Court has been loathe to touch major legislation, and this statement frames their judgment and is intended to paint them into a corner.

I am no Obama defender, but I truly dislike arguments that appeal only to the ignorant.

And again, back to the point regarding business- Romney's talents in business do not necessarily equate to talent in politics, nor does his success in a few industries mean he will be any better at running a large government with far more "service areas" than any corporation. Long is the list of CEOs who are brought into new industries (or into government-run agencies) who fall on their face when they realize that their skillset is not tailored to running what are essentially money-losing corporations hamstrung by "rule by committee".
    Last edited by Alex.V; 04-12-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Bloody typo
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I get all my American political news from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. It makes me pity you poor Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    I get all my American political news from The Daily Show and The Colbert Report. It makes me pity you poor Americans.
    The sad thing is a good portion of younger US citizens also use this as their main source of information.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

It is really sad that the current political climate has basically made me not give a shit anymore. I was all about trying to change things and supporting people like Ron Paul but honestly, I just get tired of it. I can go out and tell as many people about it as I possibly can and it won't change a damn thing.

Last election I wrote in Ron Paul thinking that it could send a message to the Republican party that a registered Republican wasn't going to stand up for the disgrace that was McCain/Palin. This election I am going to sit on my ass and not even bother. Spare me your, "THAT ISN'T AMURICAN!!! YOU NEED TO VOTE" garbage. My vote doesn't matter, it will never matter, and to change the current system we are either going to need to hit rock bottom or have a radical revolution.
    6'1", 215lbs

Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

Honestly, the biggest problem with democracy is the fact that it's a democracy.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    I don't think you could find a democracy outside of very small groups. Perhaps there are historical examples.

Surely you wouldn't call what America has a democracy (thank god).
    Last edited by r2473; 04-13-2012 at 01:12 PM.

Haha. Very true.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    It is really sad that the current political climate has basically made me not give a shit anymore. I was all about trying to change things and supporting people like Ron Paul but honestly, I just get tired of it. I can go out and tell as many people about it as I possibly can and it won't change a damn thing.

Last election I wrote in Ron Paul thinking that it could send a message to the Republican party that a registered Republican wasn't going to stand up for the disgrace that was McCain/Palin. This election I am going to sit on my ass and not even bother. Spare me your, "THAT ISN'T AMURICAN!!! YOU NEED TO VOTE" garbage. My vote doesn't matter, it will never matter, and to change the current system we are either going to need to hit rock bottom or have a radical revolution.
    amen.
    Friends don't let friends slam weights on the ground after every set

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    I don't think you could find a democracy outside of very small groups. Perhaps there are historical examples.

Surely you wouldn't call what America has a democracy (thank god).
    Too close for comfort, if you ask me. If you let the average person's voice be heard, you get what the average person wants. Which is terrifying.

Too close for comfort, if you ask me. If you let the average person's voice be heard, you get what the average person wants. Which is terrifying.
    Just make me dictator, once I fix things I will give up my power. Promise.
    6'1", 215lbs

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    The sad thing is a good portion of younger US citizens also use this as their main source of information.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    the worst thing about jon stewart is that he openly denies his liberal bias yet conveys his presentations as news. he is no better or worse than fox or cnn
    Last edited by f=ma; 04-18-2012 at 05:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    the worst thing about jon stewart is that he openly denies his liberal bias yet conveys his presentations as news. he is no better or worse than fox or cnn
    Besides the fact that he's much funnier imo, I like Colbert a lot more because he seems to rip on pretty much everybody without as much bias.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Yeah no question he's very liberal. With the amount he bashes the republicans he may as well have an Obama 2012 poster hanging behind him. That being said - republicans are pretty easy to make fun of.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Besides the fact that he's much funnier imo, I like Colbert a lot more because he seems to rip on pretty much everybody without as much bias.
    I love how he gives his guests a hard time. Some of them kind of play along with it and think it's great fun, then there's others that actually stand up to him and almost get offended. Either way, it's always great fun to watch haha.

'A government big enough to supply everything you need, is big enough to take everything you have....The course of history shows that as government grows, liberty decreases." - Gerald Ford when he addressed congress in 1974.

Just thought I would throw that out there, wow, REALLY interesting thread. I like to see discussions like this one. The only way things will ever get better is if we stop ignoring them. One of the largest problems (in my mind) when it comes to voting is that the majority of individuals get the information they use to determine their vote from bias and twisted news and the media. The people who are in power and that want to stay in power, know this. I would be willing to bet that AT LEAST 50% of the voting public could not tell you the difference between the Judicial, Legislative and Executive branches of government. They can't tell you how a bill gets passes, vetoed, anything about the way the government they want change from even works! Now I can't pretend to understand the dynamics behind those possibilities BUT if you are going to honestly put your faith (or your vote) into what you hear on the debate stage WE HAVE A PROBLEM! Doesn't seem like people are interested in educating themselves on these candidates? But then if you wanted to where do you go to get your own unbiase information to make an informed decision???? Some days I have a very George Carlin kind of view of the country "it was bought and sold years ago and the shit we argue over every four years is just bullshit"! BUT I do believe in the greatness of people when put in positions where greatness is needed.

As far as one man making a difference....Every successful buisnessman or coach that I know surrounds themselves with smart people. People they can trust to get them the best information to make the best decisions. I don't know much but I know that.

I was more "democratic" when I was younger. At least I believed in helping people that needed help? As I get older, Have a decent job, work hard, have three kids, mortgage all the things that equal the "american dream" I come to realize they just want to take things from one group and give it to another. Now that "could" be OK but they got no system to determine if that gift is being given to someone that really needs it or just wants it!

OK I'm off my box now, sorry to muddy the thread up, but nice to see fellas talking about the problems.
    Last edited by Ruff Riff; 04-18-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff Riff View Post
    I would be willing to bet that AT LEAST 50% of the voting public could not tell you the difference between the Judicial, Legislative and Executive branches of government. They can't tell you how a bill gets passes, vetoed, anything about the way the government they want change from even works!
    I have a friend that voted for Obama in 2008 and said she'll probably end up voting for him again. Mind you she does not know a thing about government, politics, economics, etc. She once asked me what "the left and right" mean, just to put things in perspective.

In order for people to be able to vote, they should have to pass some exam to prove they have knowledge of this stuff and are capable of making sound decisions on it. I say this partly tongue in cheek, but partly serious even though it goes against my beliefs. I don't know how else it would be possible to weed out uneducated voters; but then again, these are the people the politicians prey on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff Riff View Post

I was more "democratic" when I was younger. At least I believed in helping people that needed help?
    I was more conservative when I was younger.

Liberals feel they have a right to tell you what to do with what's in your wallet.

Conservatives feel they have a right to tell you what to do with what's in your pants.

Of those, the latter scares me more. If the right would stop legislating morality, I'd think about headed back that way. As it is, I'd rather face economic ruin from the bleeding hearts than societal ruin from the fundies.

Liberals feel they have a right to tell you what to do with what's in your wallet.

Conservatives feel they have a right to tell you what to do with what's in your pants.

Of those, the latter scares me more. If the right would stop legislating morality, I'd think about headed back that way. As it is, I'd rather face economic ruin from the bleeding hearts than societal ruin from the fundies.
    Conservative Libertarianism, the only side that won't tell you how to spend or how to f*ck

I can see a possible shift in the Republican party to a more libertarian type lean because a lot of the "younger" crowd seems to feel more open in that sense. Democrats shifting to opening up fiscally? Yeah don't see that ever happening. I'll stick to neither for now.
    6'1", 215lbs

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    Conservative Libertarianism, the only side that won't tell you how to spend or how to f*ck
    Damn straight. But... snowball, hell, US politics, all that.

Lol, true but, as someone already mentioned, a lot of younger generations are becoming turned on to Libertarian views (the personal fiscally/socially responsible ones, not the hippie ones), so hopefully in time it will become a more prominent voice in this country. Unfortunately, these are also the same generations that have become distracted by materialistic outlets, such as Jersey Shore and all of those other stupid reality shows and scenes. I'm 26 and the only people that I can really have an intellectual political conversation with is my/my friends parents or anyone around that age, but a lot of times they usually just reiterate what the TV tells them. However, the people from younger generations that I actually can have a good conversation with are usually better informed than the older generations, since younger people get their news from various internet sources and older people "think" they know what's going on in the world because of what Fox/CNN/MSNBC tells them (I'm not saying all, but this is the general impression that I get). So we're basically moving from generations guided by misinformation/propaganda to generations that are split between the awoken and those that don't give a shit. Oh well, we'll see what happens, but we'll probably all be screwed by then.

Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    Lol, true but, as someone already mentioned, a lot of younger generations are becoming turned on to Libertarian views (the personal fiscally/socially responsible ones, not the hippie ones), so hopefully in time it will become a more prominent voice in this country. Unfortunately, these are also the same generations that have become distracted by materialistic outlets, such as Jersey Shore and all of those other stupid reality shows and scenes. I'm 26 and the only people that I can really have an intellectual political conversation with is my/my friends parents or anyone around that age, but a lot of times they usually just reiterate what the TV tells them. However, the people from younger generations that I actually can have a good conversation with are usually better informed than the older generations, since younger people get their news from various internet sources and older people "think" they know what's going on in the world because of what Fox/CNN/MSNBC tells them (I'm not saying all, but this is the general impression that I get). So we're basically moving from generations guided by misinformation/propaganda to generations that are split between the awoken and those that don't give a shit. Oh well, we'll see what happens, but we'll probably all be screwed by then.
    Hey now, I love a good worthless outlet like the Jersey Shore

No but really, I do watch that show
    6'1", 215lbs

Another sad fact is many people tie themselves to one party or candidate like they do to their favorite sports team, regardless of the whole picture. A good quote in a bad movie was from Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black. I might not get it exactly right, but he said something along the lines of "A person is smart, people are dumb."

As I get older I believe I shift further towards conservatism as well. It might not be a bad idea for most people in this country to have some morals forced upon them.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Hey now, I love a good worthless outlet like the Jersey Shore

No but really, I do watch that show
    Lol, nothing against people that watch that show (or any other reality TV) for recreation necessarily, I mean people that basically live off of those outlets and think that that is all there is to the world. We all have our guilty pleasures but the problem is when people can't differentiate between them and the real world (pun partially intended), or it causes them simply to just not give a shit.