The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

im trying to gain weight question on how many calories i should be taking in

so i weigh about 148.2 pounds right now i wanna work my weight up to about 165 first then up to 200 i want to do this all natrual also how many calories should i be taking in a day ? also what should i be eating such as straight white chicken and red meat or what sorry i sound dumb i know but im new to this and i just want to learn as much as i can thank you

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Always learning
    You need to include your age and height before we can ballpark how many calories you need. Red meat is fine, I prefer a lot of chicken.
    "Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but no one wanna lift this heavy ass weight."

Banned
    Stop counting and start eating. Eat until you're full and then put some more down. This is how it's done. Counting is what you do in math class. Eat as much as you can, as often as you can, for as long as you can, then eat a little bit more.

It's really that simple. No need to make it rocket science. It's just the act of creating an eating disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Stop counting and start eating. Eat until you're full and then put some more down. This is how it's done. Counting is what you do in math class. Eat as much as you can, as often as you can, for as long as you can, then eat a little bit more.

It's really that simple. No need to make it rocket science. It's just the act of creating an eating disorder.
    I would not follow this advice at all. You'll end up with stomach pains from over eating and gain a bunch of fat in the process. If your really lean already then gaining fat might not be as big of a deal.

There are plenty of post on here about how to bulk properly just search bulk/bulking and you'll find the info you need.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by method115 View Post
    I would not follow this advice at all. You'll end up with stomach pains from over eating and gain a bunch of fat in the process. If your really lean already then gaining fat might not be as big of a deal.

There are plenty of post on here about how to bulk properly just search bulk/bulking and you'll find the info you need.
    Clearly, you're small and have no idea how simple it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by jayg60289 View Post
    so i weigh about 148.2 pounds right now i wanna work my weight up to about 165 first then up to 200 i want to do this all natrual also how many calories should i be taking in a day ? also what should i be eating such as straight white chicken and red meat or what sorry i sound dumb i know but im new to this and i just want to learn as much as i can thank you
    How many calories have you been taking in the rest of your life?

Start with more than that.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 03-28-2012 at 06:45 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post

I think this advice can be wonderful for someone who trains like an animal. Realistically speaking it takes time to build that intensity.

Judging by the fact that the OP is 148 I think it's safe to say he hasn't built this intensity yet and doing a "kitchen sink" bulk could result in several times more fat gained than muscle. This is not beneficial for many reasons. The most significant is the time lost bulking while cutting.

An athlete that truly wants to gain size should not fear gaining fat but gaining fat needlessly is just wasteful.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Quote Originally Posted by Holto View Post
    I think this advice can be wonderful for someone who trains like an animal. Realistically speaking it takes time to build that intensity.

Judging by the fact that the OP is 148 I think it's safe to say he hasn't built this intensity yet and doing a "kitchen sink" bulk could result in several times more fat gained than muscle. This is not beneficial for many reasons. The most significant is the time lost bulking while cutting.

An athlete that truly wants to gain size should not fear gaining fat but gaining fat needlessly is just wasteful.
    I agree with what you are saying about gaining fat but in reality for someone who is a hardgainer this rarely happens. I drank a gallon of whole milk a day for 6 months, went from 165 to 200, put on a little fat sure, but I also gained a ton of muscle and strength.

People are so afraid of the little bit of stomach fat one might gain bulking. No one cares about that bit of fat down there when you are huge (not saying I am) and strong as hell.

Rhodes is right, eat as much as you can, as often as you can. You should feel like shit doing it.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

i wanna work my weight up to about 165 first then up to 200 i want to do this all natrual also how many calories should i be taking in a day ?
    x+10-20% where x is the amount you're currently eating per day.

Go with a smaller surplus if you're worried about fat gain, go with a larger surplus if not. Re-evaluate down the track as the bigger you get the higher your maintenance calorie level will be.
    Last edited by tom183; 03-29-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Banned

Nowhere in my post did I say to eat anything (your kitchen sink analogy). The key to gaining weight is gorging yourself. Granted, at 148 he doesn't need to gorge like I do. however, at 148lbs, he clearly has no clue how to eat to gain size. The easiest and most effective way to do it is to stuff your face at all times.

If he chooses good foods this will lessen the chance of gaining unwanted fat. If he does consistent conditioning during his weight gain this will alos curtail unwanted fat gain.

Counting calories is a waste of time, especially for someone that small. It's one more thing to think about and worry about which will undoubtedly lead to a complete lack of progress. And, this is what he's experiencing. The more variables you add in, the more chances of failure.

If someone isn't gaining weight they're not eating enough. Period. That can't be argued. The easiest and most effective way to solve this problem is to eat youyr face off.

Counting calories isa wate of time when it comes to basics and that's what this is. Stepping on stage at a bodybuilding show is a different story.

I think this advice can be wonderful for someone who uses aas OR is 148 lbs
    FTFY

Honestly, at 148 lbs, even just learning to eat ONE large meal every day (one that makes your stomach burst) will go a long way.
    Last edited by FearFactory; 03-29-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    I drank a gallon of whole milk a day for 6 months, went from 165 to 200, put on a little fat sure, but I also gained a ton of muscle and strength.

Impressive. 4 1/2 lbs of mostly muscle a month is better than steroids. Is milk the secret?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

OP - counting Calories works and just eating works. Honestly, imho, I wouldn't be too specific until you need to be.. as in..when you get to your goal of 165 or probably a little more. You can't keep up solid weight gain in a linear way forever without gaining a lot of fat so at that point, maybe some specificity is needed for a slighter surplus. But god man, at 148, just trade out that chicken for a couple big macs. The point is, you're not eating enough. You can also trade out water or whatever you drink with some whole milk.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig Member

Been there before

I agree with the guys who say drop the calculator and pick up the fork. It was a long time ago when I was trying not to be skinny, but I do remember what helped me turn it around. Eggs,(not all the yokes) squats, bench, and safely done dead lifts. These will put weight on your whole body. That was my formula and it worked for me back in the day.just my two cents. good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Impressive. 4 1/2 lbs of mostly muscle a month is better than steroids. Is milk the secret?
    I made a quick guess on the time when I posted, was actually about 8 months. The point I was trying to make was to make some real progress you gotta eat. I've seen tons of people struggle to gain 5 - 10 lbs because they are afraid of putting on a little bit of fat. I was one of them, then I buckled down, starting eating like a monster and made some real gains.

I'm starting to cut down a little bit now so I can bulk up again, but when I do bulk I will be doing the gallon of milk again a day, ill take a little bit of fat for 20lbs of muscle anyday (obviously there is a point where this stops but you get my idea).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I was listening to an episode of Just Big where Rhodes and Dizenzo were talking about gaining (not sure of the episode). If I remember correctly both basically said if you really want to gain some real weight, you can. My gain (35lbs in 8 months) is really not that impressive, people do more than that in less time.

For the OP:

Like its been said a bunch of time already, you can gain some real weight. Just eat like a monster. You should feel like shit all day long from all the food you are eating.
    Last edited by DontTakeEmOff31; 04-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    I made a quick guess on the time when I posted, was actually about 8 months. The point I was trying to make was to make some real progress you gotta eat. I've seen tons of people struggle to gain 5 - 10 lbs because they are afraid of putting on a little bit of fat. I was one of them, then I buckled down, starting eating like a monster and made some real gains.

I'm starting to cut down a little bit now so I can bulk up again, but when I do bulk I will be doing the gallon of milk again a day, ill take a little bit of fat for 20lbs of muscle anyday (obviously there is a point where this stops but you get my idea).

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I was listening to an episode of Just Big where Rhodes and Dizenzo were talking about gaining (not sure of the episode). If I remember correctly both basically said if you really want to gain some real weight, you can. My gain (35lbs in 8 months) is really not that impressive, people do more than that in less time.

For the OP:

Like its been said a bunch of time already, you can gain some real weight. Just eat like a monster. You should feel like shit all day long from all the food you are eating.
    They're absolutely right.

But it's not going to be mostly muscle. Or even half muscle. But if you want to truly maximize the amount of muscle you DO put on, that's the way to do it.

Either way, there's no excuse to not gain weight. none. "Hardgainer" is a bullshit term people throw around because they simply have no idea how to eat. Or they like to pretend, for whatever reason, that they can eat what they want and not get big... probably because on some level they truly don't WANT to gain weight.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    They're absolutely right.

But it's not going to be mostly muscle. Or even half muscle. But if you want to truly maximize the amount of muscle you DO put on, that's the way to do it.

Either way, there's no excuse to not gain weight. none. "Hardgainer" is a bullshit term people throw around because they simply have no idea how to eat. Or they like to pretend, for whatever reason, that they can eat what they want and not get big... probably because on some level they truly don't WANT to gain weight.
    Thats a great way to put it. May not be all muscle or mostly muscle but its absolutely the way to maximize the muscle thats put on.

Well said.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

435 - 295 - 555 (1285)