Thread: 5/3/ a good split for someone looking to add mass?

Wannabebig Member

5/3/ a good split for someone looking to add mass?

Hey guys im looking to try something different. I am so caught up in maxing out, beacuse im a teenager, and i was thinking why not do a 5/3/1 split? Would this be good for someones trying to get there maxes up? I am not following the actual workout, but my workout with the 5/3/1 for the bench, squat, and deadlift.
    Bench and deadlifts Monday and thursday and squat and over head press tuesday and friday?

Banned
    your 5/3/1 primary lift would probably be geared towards strength.... but your assistance exercises could certainly be done in a hypertrophy specific manner

Wannabebig Member
    thank you that is what I was hoping for. I think im going to switch up back squats with front squats each time or maybe just use those as extras? deads will switch with sumos and maybe decline bench?
    Age 16
    Weight 185

Why not follow 5/3/1 program? Jim Wendler has offered plenty of variants to address different training needs. I'd stick with one of his frameworks and then after you've run it for a couple of cycles, modify it. But it is a pretty sound program. I just worry when you mix something up too much you lose its key strengths and I think Wendler 5/3/1 focuses on "slow and steady" wins the race mentality.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Why not follow 5/3/1 program? Jim Wendler has offered plenty of variants to address different training needs. I'd stick with one of his frameworks and then after you've run it for a couple of cycles, modify it. But it is a pretty sound program. I just worry when you mix something up too much you lose its key strengths and I think Wendler 5/3/1 focuses on "slow and steady" wins the race mentality.
    My body recovers quickly, and one day a week for bench, press, deadlift, and the squat wont be enough. I add between 2.5 to 5 pounds a week doing it this way. I am not running 5/3/1 to the key. I am just using the 5/3/1 method for the bench squat over head press and deadlift. That way I wont be tempted to max every week and such.
    Age 16
    Weight 185

House Lannister
    just do madcow 5x5 if your sole goal is strength.

Doesn't sound like you are doing 531 at all. If you want to do 531 with more opportunity to hit the lifts each week, then combine your 531 sets with another's BBB sets...

Monday
    Squat 531
    Deadlift 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts

Tuesday
    Bench 531
    Press 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts

Thursday
    Deadlift 531
    Squat 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts

Friday
    Press 531
    Bench 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Doesn't sound like you are doing 531 at all. If you want to do 531 with more opportunity to hit the lifts each week, then combine your 531 sets with another's BBB sets...

Monday
    Squat 531
    Deadlift 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts

Tuesday
    Bench 531
    Press 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts

Thursday
    Deadlift 531
    Squat 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts

Friday
    Press 531
    Bench 5 x 10 @ 50%
    Assistance Lifts
    I ran this earlier this year. It is not as easy as it looks. I will be returning to this later this summer.
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    My body recovers quickly, and one day a week for bench, press, deadlift, and the squat wont be enough. I add between 2.5 to 5 pounds a week doing it this way. I am not running 5/3/1 to the key. I am just using the 5/3/1 method for the bench squat over head press and deadlift. That way I wont be tempted to max every week and such.
    Not sure you understand 5/3/1, since 5/3/1 is done for the primary lifts and then assistant work is geared towards goals and weaknesses not done in the 5/3/1 format. If you are easily adding 5lbs a week to your lifts, I eight weeks you'll be benching 285, squatting 315 for reps and deadlifting 345. That's pretty good progress. Remember 5/3/1 is a slow but steady wins the race, it will minimize burnout and keep gains going for a long time. So if you can do it for another eight weeks at 5lbs a week, you'll be over 300 on your bench, 350's for squats and almost 400 for deadlift--all in all in 4 months. Most people would kill for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I ran this earlier this year. It is not as easy as it looks. I will be returning to this later this summer.
    Not easy at all. But I enjoyed watching you do it. Better you than me
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    You should try "Boring but Big" which is based off of Jim's 5/3/1
    It sounds like exactly what you're looking for

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...onth_challenge
    Last edited by Havok; 04-19-2012 at 03:06 AM.

If you don't want to follow 5/3/1 the way it was written, I would try something else. Perhaps Starting Strength.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Sounds like you don't wanna do 5/3/1.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
    Hey guys im looking to try something different. I am so caught up in maxing out, beacuse im a teenager, and i was thinking why not do a 5/3/1 split? Would this be good for someones trying to get there maxes up? I am not following the actual workout, but my workout with the 5/3/1 for the bench, squat, and deadlift.
    Bench and deadlifts Monday and thursday and squat and over head press tuesday and friday?
    My opinion on 5/3/1 is that it could be a good program for powerlifting but if your objective is to build muscle then there are going to likely be better alternatives. There are plenty of ways to increase strength while also building muscle - although you will have to be patient in both pursuits and there are other factors which will contribute such as your diet and overall lifestyle.

If you are not an experienced trainee then I would go with a template that was created by a reputable person and aligns with your specific background/objectives.

Benching and deadlifting all of the time may not be the best way to increase overall strength/size for people - unless you are looking to simply improve those two lifts.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com