The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Hug Dogs "the new me"

Obviously I know this journal is mainly for me but I am still going to introduce myself. I am looking for a way to keep myself motivated. I have been reading the forums and thought it would be a good idea to post daily. Here is a little bit of background on me.

I started working out when I was 16. I went to many competitions in high school. The most impressive was:

Weighed 154lbs
    Bench 265
    squat 355
    power clean 275

That was a long time ago. Now I am 25 and I haven't worked out seriously in 3 years. I discovered I have supraventricular tachycardia it took me about 2 1/2 years to get it controlled with medication.(the medication takes most of my energy away) This means I can't take anything that would make my heart race like caffeine or anything similar to it. So now I am 225 lbs. Obviously way out of shape.

My goal is to get back into shape and to be big. My father is a big man (275 benches around 400 lb and is 56 years old and I would like to be healthy like him.

I have been working out for two weeks now. My first goal is to just get my muscles trained again. that is why I am going to do the Original Starting Strength Novice Program. It seems very simple. Yesterday was my first day. Here was my program.

3x5 Squat 185lbs
    3x5 Bench Press 185lbs
    3x5 Deadlift 185lbs

I forgot my routine at work so I didn't realize I only needed to do 1 set of deadlifts. 3 sets felt really good though. I also tried to cheat and do a couple sets of abbs. Wow bad idea. When I started my 3rd super set my bottom two abbs cramped. man did that hurt. I had to have my wife help me sit up. Lesson learned. Now I am only going to stick to the work out. Tomorrow I will be doing day B.

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans

I used to love power cleans so I am very excited about them. I am going to start very light. Here is my goal.

Workout B
    3x5 Squat 190
    3x5 Press 95
    5x3 Power cleans 95

Power cleans are all about form so it will take me a while. Plus I have to find room to do them. Fridays is really slow so that should be easy.

So I am not taking any supplements due to heart condition but I am drinking an aftermax shake after each workout. I also ordered some Microlactin. I hope it helps me not be as sore.

On a side note: my wife is also starting to train. I have looked up some work outs and here is what she started on Monday.

Monday
    Chest/Triceps:
    Choose 1 compound exercise for chest:
    a. Bench press or bench press machine
    b. Incline press
    Choose 1 concentration exercise for chest:
    a. Dumbbell flyes
    b. Chest fly machine
    Choose 2 movements for triceps:
    a. Triceps push downs
    b. One arm triceps extensions with dumbbell
    c. Skull crushers (**also called lying triceps extensions)
    d. Close grip bench press
    e. Triceps machine
    Wednesday
    Legs/Shoulders
    Choose 1 compound movement for legs:
    a. Squat
    b. Leg press
    c. Leg machine with a squatting movement
    Choose two concentration exercises for legs (there are only really two of them):
    a. Leg curl
    b. Leg extensions
    Choose 1 compound exercise for shoulders:
    a. Military press
    b. Dumbbell press
    Choose 1 concentration exercise for shoulders:
    Side laterals
    Front dumbbell raises
    Friday:
    Back/Biceps
    Choose 1compound exercise for back:
    a. Pull ups
    b. Pull downs
    c. Bent over rows
    Choose 1 concentration exercise for back:
    a. One arm dumbbell rows
    b. Cable bar pull downs (grab a bar on the cable machine and straighten your arms so they are almost locked. Then lower the bar to your lower abs.)
    Choose 2 movements for biceps:
    a. Barbell curls
    b. Dumbbell curls
    c. Preacher curls
    d. Machine curls
    e. Cable curls

I am not sure if it is a good work out but I do know that she needs structure or she will just give up. Thanks for reading and if anyone ever has any input that would be great.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I will be working out at 5:45 today. I thought that I was going to be really sore today but I am not nearly as bad as I thought. I am worried about the power clean but I have looked up a lot of videos on it and I feel somewhat confident. I am going to try to do them in the squat rack and that way the bar will be raised some. We will see how that goes.

3x5 Squat 190
    3x5 Press 95
    5x3 Power cleans 115
    Good mornings - no weight

So another good work out. I can certainly do allot more on eat work out. I goal is to continue to add weight on each work out each time for at least two months. Once I get stuck I will start doing Mark's work out.

My and he friend also worked out. They seem to be enjoying themselves

I did make one mistake. I decided to shoot hoops as part of my cardio. I was playing against these 14 year olds and they have way to much energy. I am really wore out today. That is it for today. Next post will be Monday. Hopefully I will get good rest all weekend.

Alright it is Monday. I am not sore at all today. I am excited to work out. I wish I didn't start so light but I think it will help my form and keep me going better doing it this way. Here is my work out for today. All of it should be very easy.

3x5 Squat 195lbs
    3x5 Bench Press 190lbs
    3x5 Dead lift 190lbs - I did find out that I was doing dead lifts wrong before. It is really mostly back and not legs. I was using my legs way to much.

If I have energy after that I would like to do some pull ups. I am really bad at them and need to practice. I did learn today that it is a good idea to drink a protein shake the day of working out and the next day so i am going to buy some more mix on my lunch break. I might even try a different kind. We also have a damaged food place and I would love to go there and see if they have any really good deals. I will report how I did tomorrow.

So I did my work out.

3x5 Squat 195lbs
    3x5 Bench Press 190lbs
    1x5 Dead lift 190lbs

I am not sore at all. Like I said it still feels light. I did get allot of instruction on my dead lifts. Some guy told me that they are worthless and the only way to get stronger and better on dead lifts is by doing good mornings. He must know what he is talking about because he was working out with 405 on squats and doing 540 with good mornings! This guy is a beast. Plus he is in his 40's. He told me to use a box and he brought one over. He uses it to squat and told me to use it to squat and dead lift off of. It felt really weird but I think I will try it. Oh yeah and this is the 5th time my wife has worked out with me. I hope she stays motivated.

3x5 Squat 200
    3x5 Press 100
    5x3 Power cleans 120
    pull ups - I need to get good at these.

That Is the work out for today.

I do love power cleans and I can't wait to get really heavy. I think everyone has a lift that that are good at or really enjoy doing. Power cleans seem to be my lift. So far I don't hate any lift. Growing up I lifted with a power lifter. (crazy strong has a bunch of records) Anyway after he moved away I started lifting with some body builders. Obviously they didn't do much squat and I started hating doing them by myself so I quit. Now they are the staple of my workout and I really enjoy them. The sad thing is that I have a feeling they will be the first thing that I have a problem with. I have massive legs and butt but most of it is not muscle. Plus I have hip problems. My dad is coming to town Friday. He is 54 and currently benches well over 350. He hasn't maxed in a while but he does his work outs with 315 and more. He is quite the inspiration. He doesn't do much legs do to his physical job. he works in a lead mine. Anyway I will report how I do tomorrow.

test for new sig
    Check out my journal:
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=117073

Goal To be the Strongest Huggins! - started again on 2/24/11 then again 2/27/12
    squat: 420 405 x 5
    bench: 355 320 x 3
    deadlift: 455 420 x 3
    Total 1215 on a single day

You've got your work cut out for you if you're trying to hit those goals by new years while trying to lean down. The good news is it looks like you're on track. Make sure to keep adding weight to the bar every workout.

Good luck!!

yeah. But I could probably Dead lift 315 right now and I would be close on the squat. I am just taking it very easy so I remember the form. Bench will be the hardest. My last max about a year ago was 295 after not working out very often. I have very good genes so that should help me. My Brother is 6'2 and about 300 max about 320 (after tore his rotator cuff) and my dad is 5'10 and 275. with a max over 350. Both have plenty of muscle.
    Check out my journal:

''To be the strongest Huggins'' ...awesome man!

Good luck. Looks like you have a strong base. You should have no problems reaching those goals!
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks. Yeah. My dad is 54 and my brother is 32 and my brother in law who isn't a huggins but related just put up 295lbs at 160 so I have allot of work ahead of me. Hopefully building a solid base (which none of them did) will help me do it. For me to truly achieve something I have to have a goal to push myself to.
    Check out my journal:

3x5 Squat 200
    3x5 Press 100
    5x3 Power cleans 120

yep everything still felt very easy. I decided to do box squats. I just wanted to make sure I was going down far enough. I did learn that my lower back is by far the weakest part of my body. I decided to play some basketball after working out. (I was horrible) Anyway my back was really tight and it was really hard to shoot. I still can't wait to put some real weight on the bar.
    Check out my journal:

Work out for today will be

Squat 3x5 205
    bench 3x5 195
    deadlift 3x5 195
    dips 3x10 (maybe) with body weight

So I woke up with some hip pain today. If I move it wrong it hurts. It is my left hip. It doesn't hurt when I squat or deadlift so I think I will be ok.

Of course I am working out with my dad today. He is doing shoulders. He is crazy strong with his shoulders since he is a miner. He is always putting explosives in holes that are above his head.

I have not given an update on my wife in a while. She has only missed one day so far. She has a very good workout partner. Ever since I have known her she will get muscle cramps. they can just show up anywhere. Since she has been working out it seems like they are more frequent. I was hoping that working out would help the cramps go away. Not the case so far.
    Check out my journal:

Well I certainly had a busy weekend. It first started on Friday when a friend of mine broke down and stayed with us all weekend. Then when I finally got a chance to work out we had a small electrical fire so I had to go back home and fix it. Saturday I replaced our porch roof which took all day and Sunday I painted the porch. All and all I am still tired and haven't worked out since Wednesday. So Today I am doing the workout I missed on Friday.

Squat 3x5 205 possibly box.
    bench 3x5 195
    dead lift 3x5 195
    dips 3x10 (maybe) with body weight
    Check out my journal:

Sounds like youve been busy man!

Did you get a session done?
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

I felt really strong today. I worked myself a little to much.

Squat 3x5 205 squat rack was used the whole time so I had to use the smith machine. I just put 2 45 on each side and did my set very very low.
    bench 3x5 195 easy felt good. Starting to arch my back a little more and fold my feet under.
    dead lift 1x5 195 easy
    A big guy told me that doing dead lifts won't help my dead lifts. He told me to do good mornings. So I did:
    good morning 2x5 195 felt great.
    dips 3x10 with body weight (will start adding weight once I can get 3x12)

I have a busy week this week but I am not going to miss out on working out.

I still havn't decided if I like the gym I am going to enough to join it. It only has 1 bench and 1 squat rack. If I get there after 6 then the squat rack is already being used. Yesterday I bought a 15 visit pass for $50. Once that has run up I will join. It is $365 for a family for a year. Or I can do $37 a month for a family. which come up to $444. Or I can just pay $4 a visit. My problem is that in the past I have never been able to stick with working out for a full year. tough choice so far.
    Check out my journal:

so, I have decided that I need to add 10 pounds on my deadlift each exercise. 5 pounds is way to easy.
    Check out my journal:

3x5 Squat 210 - used a box. I did a 2 count at the bottom. Felt light and easy.
    3x5 OH Press 105 - these are uncomfortable on my shoulders. i need to look up the proper form.
    5x3 Power cleans 125 - way to light. I still think I need more weight to truly do the right form.

Then I played basketball for about an hour and a half. I really only wanted to play basketball for about 45 minutes but 3 guys that work at the center wanted to play us. The first game we lost but then we won the next 2. I had allot more energy today and played much better.
    Check out my journal:

Great work out
    Squat 3x5 225 I used the box again. At the end I also put on 275 and did it for a REP. It was very easy.
    bench 3x5 200 easy felt good. It felt heavy but it went up easy.
    dead lift 1x5 205 I did 2 sets good mornings and then a set of dead lifts.
    At the end I put on 270 and did it once. Again felt good but heavy.
    dips 3x10 with body weight plus a 10

Then we walked for about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by hug dog; 11-10-2008 at 08:21 AM.
    Check out my journal:

weight 222lbs
    I have decided to weigh myself every time I work out. Obviously in the future I want to lose weight but for now i want to remain the same if not gain so weight. I started at 230 3 weeks ago. Obviously I need to eat more.

The power rack was used for the first 45 minutes of my work out. I had to change the order I did things. Made squatting allot harder.

3x5 OH Press 115 - Very Very easy.
    5x3 Power cleans 135 - way to light. I still think I need more weight to truly do the right form.
    3x5 Squat 235 - used a box. I was exhausted by the time I started these. But they wend up very easy.
    Pull ups 4,3,3 - with body weight - That is very sad. Allot of it had to do with my grip.
    calf raises - I feel my calves are very weak. (need to jump better for basketball)
    Check out my journal:

^Wow! Nice w/o.

Intense upper work with the pressing, cleans & Pull ups together.

It was really the first time I have been sore from this workout. Today will be killer as well. After Squats, Bench, and Deadlifts I am going to play some basketball.

O I bought a belt today. I got it as play it again. The ones they have at the gym are small and are nylon. This one is leather. I wanted to buy some chalk but they were all out.
    Check out my journal:

Anther good workout. I had to Bench first because some jerk was using the power rack for bench?

Bench 205 3X5 - Paused at the bottom of all of them
    Squat 245 3x5 - They were painful but easy. I used my new belt and it was either to tight or to loose. I choose to tight. It is a nice belt.
    Dead lift 1x5 225 - extremely easy. I cheated and decided to try to pull 315. 1x1. It went up very easy as well. I held it for about 10 seconds just to see myself holding 315. I guess I need to make a new goal. I will wait until I reach 315 on squat. (won't very to long.)

Basket ball went good. I was on fire. Unfortunately my team mates were not. The second game we played I scored 10 of our 14 points. (pay to 11 win by 2) We finally won the last game. I decided to quit passing and to just do the work myself.
    Check out my journal:

Squat 3x5 255 - starting to get heavy. Wow the belt hurts
    Oh Press 120 3x5 still easy.
    Power cleans 5x3 140 still easy.
    Lat Pull downs. 150, 170, 190 3x10

This was all done on Friday.
    Check out my journal:

Bench 210 2x5 last set 1x10. All were very easy.
    Dead lift 1x5 245. Felt great.
    Squat 265 3x5. I had to do it last due to benching in the power rack and then some guys jumped in front of me.

We ate at some friends house so I couldn't do anything else.
    Check out my journal: