The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Pitman shift routine....questions....

Hey guys, I recently got a new job which rotates around the pitman shift. 12 hour shifts and are as follows:
    2 on 2 off
    3 on 2 off
    2 on 3 off.

Every 2 weeks I switch from days (7am-7pm) to nights (7pm-7am).

My question is, does anyone have experience working out on such a schedule??

I was thinking maybe of doing the following, seeing as I have no desire to workout after my shifts:

Busy week: 2 days off in a row, thinking of splitting it up this way
    day1- Chest-Tris-Back
    day2- Legs-Abs

Lite week: 2 off 2 on 3 off -workout 3 of 4 off days
    day1- Chest-Tris
    day2- Back-Bis
    day3- Legs-Shoulders-Abs.

How would you guys deal with such a schedule? I know a lot of you will probably say man up and keep a strict routine even on busy weeks, but I enjoy seeing my family/girlfriend and would rather not go a week without seeing either :P

Any tips or ideas would be appreciated. I have been working out on and off for 6 years, but a shoulder injury 5 years ago made me lose motivation and needless to say I took over a year off of serious training. Overall I'd say the last 2 years have been my best and most consistent in the gym.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Just workout on your days off, then you have built-in rest days. An upper/lower or push/pull split would work well.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member

off days

I worked 4 on4 off for fifteen years, two days, two nights, (12 hour shifts)off for 4 days. the first day after night shift is a write-off as you need to sleep, and not sure about you guys but my sleep quality during the day sucks.
    I know this isn't exactly like your's but I agree that you should train on your days off work, and you have built in rest days. which a lot of us should take more of but don't. Try to eat your face off at work, healthy as you can, recuperate, and I think you'll get into a nice groove. Even try to get a quick arm, calves workout in after a day shift, and maybe cut down on the time away from your family on your off- work time. Train your abs at home..you know what I mean? my two cents only.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys that sounds about right. I guess having the days at work as a forced rest day is probably a good thing!

What about my routine I have mentioned in the original post?? Or should I just do:
    day1- Chest-tri
    day2- back-bi
    day3- shoulder-abs
    day4- legs

And just rotate that regardless of what day off it is?

I work security so it is not the most physically demanding job (and thats an understatement). It is the mental drive that is lacking on work days...on the plus side I can eat whenever I want...

time to go buy some trail-mix
    Last edited by vip3r87; 04-01-2012 at 09:23 AM.

A 4 day split probably wouldn't have you hitting the lifts/muscles frequently enough. I'd do an upper/lower or a push/pull split. Something like:

Day 1:
    Back Squats
    Romanian DL
    Pull-ups
    Barbell rows
    Barbell shrugs
    Curls

Day 2:
    Bench press
    Bar dips
    Military press
    Triceps
    gut and grip work

Repeat on your next two days off...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    A 4 day split probably wouldn't have you hitting the lifts/muscles frequently enough. I'd do an upper/lower or a push/pull split. Something like:

Day 1:
    Back Squats
    Romanian DL
    Pull-ups
    Barbell rows
    Barbell shrugs
    Curls

Day 2:
    Bench press
    Bar dips
    Military press
    Triceps
    gut and grip work

Repeat on your next two days off...
    I agree. From what I can tell you have 7 days off every two weeks. I'd consider looking at the HCT12 3 day a week routine. It would end up being very similar to what Off Road suggested above.

Wannabebig Member
    wow, that HCT training looks very intriguing. It would definitely be a shock to the system, completely different than most other routines I have followed in the past.

Thanks for the ideas guys! HTC it is! Now to fill in some exercises and start up next week!

Thanks for the tips guys! Let's see how this goes!

Wannabebig Member
    I think I may use the exercises that off road recommended!

Hey vip,
    I work the same schedule except 5 to 5. We swap days to nights after every frigging set of off days... It can be a pia getting in enough gym time. I have results with push, pull, legs routines working just off days. But this schedule really works well for me. I lift working nights before I go in, one evening on days, one off day...so never more than two days off unless I havn't had enough sleep. I train when I'm refreshed and fed. I can't stand walking in the gym tired or weak.
    One benefit for me is I eat better at work. Everything is precooked so I know exaclty what my meals are and can only eat what I brought. Going in on nights, I train two hours before going in and eat all night long. I get way more sleep working nights. Days not so easy but If I get more than 5hrs sleep I'll hit it when I get off at 5 pm. Then one training day when I'm off. I also have a low intensity job. Hope this helps man.
    Ht 5'3"
    Wt 186lbs
    Squat 405
    Deads 450
    Bench 325

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the help guys!

I am trying the HCT just working out on off days. It's working quite well...the 3 day rest does wonders after going heavy 2 days in a row.

I am still getting used to it so I may try what you've done, stanton. I too work a VERY low intensity job...but the problem is mentally I just don't want to do anything but socialize after work, haha

thanks again for the tips, and I will work out a proper routine eventually :P