Thread: Getting back into lifting after Gallbladder Surgery

Getting back into lifting after Gallbladder Surgery

Good evening all, or morning depending on where you are. I had emergency laparoscopic surgery to remove my gallbladder back on March 6th and it was a success. I had a follow up with my surgeon 2 weeks after my surgery and he wanted me to wait 3 weeks after my surgery before I lifted weights again. I have reached my 3 week mark and am looking to get back into lifting so I started doing some body squats and was definitely feeling soreness in my abdomen. Has anyone had gallblader surgery? and if so how long did your soreness typically last? I was planning on doing some upper body movements with just the bar tomorrow to get back in the swing of things. Any advice would be great. Prior to the surgery I was in week 8 of my 12 week strong lifts program. I would love to start where I left off but I am not sure how my body would react to heavy lifts right off the bat.
    Your run of the mill prototipical endomorph.
    Strong to the finish, cause I eats me spinach!

I believe it was quite some time before I got back into lifting heavily again. Not that I was lifting heavy to begin with (my sugary happened maybe a few months after I had first started working out). I don't know if there was any physical reason or not, I just didn't bother getting back into it right away after I had my sugary.

Did you have an open or laparoscopic procedure? I would just listen to what your surgeon says, and more importantly, be patient and ease back into lifting. You will eventually heal back to 100%, but no reason to push your body after the trauma it has had recently. Take it easy for a while.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

I believe it was open, the incisions he made were about and inch long at the most, my healing is coming along well. I basically did a super light version of 5X5 on Monday. Squats, Rows, and Bench all with just the bar. I didn't really have any ackward pain and really just focused on my breathing and form. It has been 3 weeks and he was pretty suggestive about me lifting weights. He said it would definitely help me heal quicker.
    Your run of the mill prototipical endomorph.
    Strong to the finish, cause I eats me spinach!