The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Back at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Man, I honestly lack the discipline for the home gym stuff. I need to have motivation around me, you know?
    I'm the same way. Something about having other people around. I was going to a small ass gym when I was living with my parents after college, I swear I'd feel weaker whenever I'd lift on the weekend and was the only one in the gym.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Worked those guns very well dude.

Banned
    Hopefully I'll get lucky again and not have to examine any nasty vajayjays tonight.
    how do you maintain composure through that? i would just have a look of physical disgust and contempt the entire time

solid work in here! i also prefer the gym atmosphere over home gyms. on the other hand, i hate people. in conclusion, my own gym within a gym would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I'm the same way. Something about having other people around. I was going to a small ass gym when I was living with my parents after college, I swear I'd feel weaker whenever I'd lift on the weekend and was the only one in the gym.
    Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Worked those guns very well dude.
    Thanks! Arms are so fun to train. I wish the pump I got was permanent, though, hehe.
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    how do you maintain composure through that? i would just have a look of physical disgust and contempt the entire time
    Not quite sure, bro. You just get used to it. I've literally seen hundreds of them, and unfortunately for not the right reasons lol.

Legz
    ATF squats: warmupx3, 225x8, 245x6, 245x6, 245x6, 265x2
    followed by leg presses and DB lunges

Not too bad, considering I'm operating on 5 hours of sleep right now... just glad to be done with nights for a little while.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Do you bother with the weight on lunges? Do you just like to get after it and get the feel on them?

I did them last week... I always forget how much they hit that ham/glute area. I was using a longer stride for them.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Leg session is ace man.

Good job sticking with the workout on a lack of sleep! Nice squatting. Wish I could do atf squats. I just don't have the flexibility yet. But it's come a long way in the past 3-4 weeks I've been working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Do you bother with the weight on lunges? Do you just like to get after it and get the feel on them?

I did them last week... I always forget how much they hit that ham/glute area. I was using a longer stride for them.
    Yeah, I usually do them every leg workout, and always use weight. Used the 60s for that session. I just stand in one area to do them because my gym isn't big enough to actually walk around in. They are a grip workout, too!
    Leg session is ace man.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    Good job sticking with the workout on a lack of sleep! Nice squatting. Wish I could do atf squats. I just don't have the flexibility yet. But it's come a long way in the past 3-4 weeks I've been working on it.
    Yeah, I've always done ATFs. They feel natural to me, and I haven't had any knee problems to date with them.

Boobs
    Flat bench: warmupx3, 245x6, 255x3, 255x2, 255x3, 255x3 dropped to 225x5
    Then HS press, incline flyes, and some machine shiznit.

There was no one in the gym today that was heavier than 150 pounds. So unmotivating.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

Geez, I'd find that really motivating being the biggest one in the gym haha. Nice benching.

Solid benching and all bro.

Thanks, y'all.

Back
    Sumo DLs: warmupx4, 275x6, 325x6, 345x5, 355x4, 355x3, 355x3 - was happy with the progression here.
    followed by corner rows with 4 plates, chris mason-style underhanded pulldowns, DB rows, HS high rows.

Great workout. I think my recovery sweet-spot is a week.
    Aight, time to go to bed. One more night shift tonight and done for a while. W00t.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Fine effort for the back.

Thanks, Captain.

Shoulders
    BB upright rows: warmup x4, 125x10, 135x6, 135x6, 140x6, 145x5, 145x5 dropped to 95x10
    followed by standing Smith presses, assorted machine lateral stuff.

Anyone have lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) before from weightlifting? I can usually push through stuff like this, but it gets so aggravated by side laterals and upright rows. So fucking annoying. I know I should just take a break from movements that aggravate it, but I want hyooge delts.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I have the same symptoms too at times, luckily it comes and goes. What helped me in the past was some glucosamine chondroitin tablets, discomfort subsided after a couple of weeks in my case. Good luck with that.

I have the same symptoms too at times, luckily it comes and goes. What helped me in the past was some glucosamine chondroitin tablets, discomfort subsided after a couple of weeks in my case. Good luck with that.
    Fuck man, I would just feel weird taking glucosamine and being less than 65 years of age, lol. Maybe I need to try it.

Gunz
    BB curls: warmup x3, 105x8, 115x8, 115x7, 115x7, 115x5+2 dropped to 95x5
    Straight bar skull crushers: warmup x3, 35s x8, 40s x6, 40sx 5, 40s x5 <- not sure how much this bar weighs, but I'm guessing as much as a standard EZ curl bar
    followed by DB alternating curls, rope pushdowns, and some machine stuff until gym closing.

Felt like my arms were gonna explode. I'm sure I looked like an inflated lat syndrome d-bag.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Aren't upright rows infamous for elbow/cuff pain/injuries? I use dumbells when I do them, I find it to be much more comfortable. And the cleanz hit the traps harder than anything!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Aren't upright rows infamous for elbow/cuff pain/injuries? I use dumbells when I do them, I find it to be much more comfortable. And the cleanz hit the traps harder than anything!!
    I gotta tell ya, I've never had any shoulder issues with upright rows (or in general). I do them with elbows parallel and not higher. Never had elbow issues until recently. Maybe I'll try the DBs, thanks.

Wheels
    ATF squats: warmup x3, 245x5, 245x5, 245x4, 245x4, 245x4, 225x5
    followed by leg presses and DB lunges.

Got 6 hours of sleep last night, so I'm blaming that for my lack of strength today. Sigh. I even had a cheat meal last night, too.

On a side note, is Kevin Levrone anyone else's fav bodybuilder? I swear, I cannot see how this guy never won the Olympia. No one in the past or present compares to him when he was in top conditioning, IMHO. His side most-muscular pose is the best I've seen:

Last edited by Beast; 04-24-2012 at 02:22 PM.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Levrone is indeed one of the all time greats, my own cousin used to say Levrone was the best.

Very nice with the arm and leg work.
    Last edited by Coke; 04-25-2012 at 10:12 AM.

Anyone have lateral epicondylitis (tennis elbow) before from weightlifting? I can usually push through stuff like this, but it gets so aggravated by side laterals and upright rows. So fucking annoying. I know I should just take a break from movements that aggravate it, but I want hyooge delts.
    Curious, what's your elbow position like when you do presses and DB flyes?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Levrone is indeed one of the all time greats, my own cousin used to say Levrone was the best.

Very nice with the arm and leg work.
    Yeah, he was sick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Curious, what's your elbow position like when you do presses and DB flyes?
    Tucked in as much as I can with presses, although I guess there's no reliable way I can see it myself. I've gotten comments from spotters about how tucked in I am, though, since most gym-goers want "nin3ty d3greez f0r big peczz!" I just clench my shoulder blades back as tight as I can. DB flyes are no greater than 75 degrees or so. Again, I've never had this problem before.

Chest
    BB bench: warmup x3, 235x5, 235x4, 235x3, 235x3, 235x3, 225x5
    followed by HS declines and machine flyes.

Strength is going down. I think it's time to change my routine soon or something, although my food and sleep this week has been shitty. I've been carb starving a bit since my friend is having a beach wedding this weekend. Any recommendations?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Don't hospitals have milk machines? Like the soda dispenser, but milk? I'd take advantage of that when eating good is difficult on your schedule. I wish I had one of those in my house lol. One day....

Fuck man, I would just feel weird taking glucosamine and being less than 65 years of age, lol. Maybe I need to try it.
    Give it a shot! I took started taking it a few months back, consistently. I had some low back issues and couldn't pin point it, but I started taking Gluc-Chon and the issues I had with my low-back subsided and have stayed down. Can DL, squat, and the like with no issues. There are still certain movements that aren't conducive to my back.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Strength is going down... Any recommendations?
    This is all hills and valleys man, strength is going to stagnate at moments along the way no matter what. We can tweak things here and there to help out the matter, but sometimes we are forced to go with the flow before gaining momentum again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Don't hospitals have milk machines? Like the soda dispenser, but milk? I'd take advantage of that when eating good is difficult on your schedule. I wish I had one of those in my house lol. One day....
    Yeah we have an infinite milk supply, but I don't think my colleagues/patients would be able to stand my gas lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Give it a shot! I took started taking it a few months back, consistently. I had some low back issues and couldn't pin point it, but I started taking Gluc-Chon and the issues I had with my low-back subsided and have stayed down. Can DL, squat, and the like with no issues. There are still certain movements that aren't conducive to my back.
    Might try it if it doesn't get better soon. I'm going to drop upright rows for now and see if it will heal.
    This is all hills and valleys man, strength is going to stagnate at moments along the way no matter what. We can tweak things here and there to help out the matter, but sometimes we are forced to go with the flow before gaining momentum again.
    Thanks, hopefully there will be some momentum soon.

Back
    Sumo DLs: warmup x4, 335x5, 335x5, 335x5, 335x5, 335x3, 225x8
    followed by a few sets of cable rows
    Only had 40 mins, so had to make the workout quick!

Saw a funny patient last night with trichophagia who was like "Please, I need someone to cut the hairball out of my stomach!" I was like wtf, that shit cray. Ended up CT scanning her anyway and of course it was normal. I should have known that it would be impossible to convince her that she didn't, in fact, have a hairball in her stomach. Psychiatry consult, please!
    There are some weird people in this world, that's for sure.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

That's putting in work Doc, lol...great focus with the sumos.