Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Back at it!

Back at it!

Hi all,
    After a several year hiatus due to school, etc, I'm glad to come back to these awesome forums. A little about me... been training intermittently for around 10 years. I go through powerlifter phases and beach body phases, reason being the main reason why I lift is to have fun. I've learned a lot through these forums over the years, and can't wait to communicate with old friends.
    Currently, I'm doing a body recomp, which has been largely successful so far. I have not had a good diet in 2 years, so it left me with some flab and loss of strength. Now that my schedule is going to be much easier for the rest of my life, it's time to get more serious.
    Over the two months, I've been able to shed fat and gain strength at the same time just by eating properly. My diet mainly consists of Trader Joe's 96% lean beef, flax seeds, almonds, oatmeal, lots of ALN Nitrean, and the occasional hospital meal. My supplements are ALN Nitrean, iForce Maximize Intense preworkout, and ALN creatine. As long as I hit 1g/lb of bodyweight (~185lb currently) per day, I really don't keep track of the rest of the calories.
    My workouts are kept simple, as you'll see. I always jog for 10 mins to get warmed up. I start with one compound movement and get around 5 heavy working sets, and then do about 4 more exercises of between 6-12 reps. A lot of what I do is based on how I feel that day.
    Here is my workout from yesterday:
    Flat BB bench: Warmup x3 sets, 245 x6, 265 x4, 275 x3, 275 x2, 275 x2. I haven't been able to hit 275 for a few years, so this felt good!
    3-4 sets of 6-12 of HS decline, machine flyes, machine dips (I don't pay attention to the weight, really)

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Strong benching for just getting back at it bro! Keep it up!

Thanks, bro!

Back today.
    Yates rows: warmup x4, 205x8, 215x6, 225x5, 225x5, 235x4+2, 235x4+2
    followed by 3-4 sets of chins, seated cable rows, HS rows

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

House Lannister
    mirin join date.

nice back training as well.

Damn, welcome back
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wow, this is a sight for sore eyes - good deal indeed to see you posting again man.

CP - Thanks, bro.

Cokie - Glad to see you're still here!

Leg day today
    ATF squats: warmup x4 sets, 225x8, 245x6, 245x6, 255x5, 255x4, 255x3, 225x3
    Then a few sets of leg presses and DB lunges
    Was happy and surprised to have a good set of squats, since I've gotten poor sleep over the past few nights. Anyone who works night shifts knows what I'm talking about!

That being said, a patient was brought in last night for an assault evaluation. I walked in, and, fuck the patient, the cop who was there for the police report was hot. I'm talking really hot. How many of you have actually seen a hot cop??? More importantly, how crazy would a hot girl be to go into law enforcement???
    Blew my mind.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Good deal on both the leg work and great eye candy on the fly, lol - no doubt you were caught by surprise.

Wannabebig Member
    I've seen a couple of cops that were smoking hot. I can't imagine being a woman dealing with so many shitheads.

Nice squatting. What do you do in the hospital?

Been a few old members posting on here again lately it seems. Welcome back.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Good deal on both the leg work and great eye candy on the fly, lol - no doubt you were caught by surprise.
    I'm telling you, man, I've never seen a hot cop before. Guess I need to get out more, lol. She must be crazy, though.

Quote Originally Posted by StickyMickey View Post
    I've seen a couple of cops that were smoking hot. I can't imagine being a woman dealing with so many shitheads.

Nice squatting. What do you do in the hospital?
    Agreed. I'm an ER physician. Never a dull moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Been a few old members posting on here again lately it seems. Welcome back.
    Thanks, man. I lost it for a while, then caught the lifting bug again. Need to get as big as you.

Shoulders today.
    BB front raises: warmupx4, 115x8, 125x8, 135x8, 135x8, 140x6, 140x5 dropped to 95x10
    followed by DB laterals, Smith shrugs, cable laterals, and machine rear laterals

I'm trying to get my shoulders, especially my side delts, bigger. Any suggestions?

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Obviously no problem with the front delts, those numbers are huge. Just hang tough with db laterals, those will do the trick for side delts - slightly vary your angles while doing 'em too.

Will try, Coke.

Curl jockey today
    BB curls: warmupx3, 85x8, 95x8, 105x8, 105x8, 110x6+2, 110x6+2, 110x4+2, 85x5 superset with tricep rope pushdowns
    EZ bar skull crushers: warmupx3, 35s x8, 35s x8, 40s x6, 40s x6 superset with standing alternating DB curls

Hard shift today... I actually cried for the first time I've been doing this for 2 years. I had to tell a guy that his wife was going to be braindead, and something about the way he looked at me, tearful, and said, "We just had our 35th anniversary" just really got to me. What a hard job I've chosen!

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

I have a couple of family members in the medical field, and do not envy the position you all have of trying to be objective and as emotionally distant as possible while also understanding or having empathy with certain patients and their loved ones. No doubt the lifting will become even more valuable as you move along to help buffer you, especially in your challenging career.

Wannabebig Member
    Nice, I'm a rural area EMT. ER Docs get much props in my book. As long as they aren't dicks.

Those are sick front raises. Keep it up.

Cokie: Agreed. I love it, though. It's an honor for people to have their lives in your hands!

Sticky: Awesome, man. Lots of respect for our prehospital workers. Y'all have an equally tough job.

Chest today
    Decline BB press:
    warmup x3, 225x8, 245x6, 245x6, 245x5, 250x3, 250x3
    Haven't done decline in a while, but don't most people have stronger numbers with decline than flat bench?
    Followed by DB flat bench, Hammer Strength press, cable crossovers.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Good deal on the declines, that's one movement that takes a backseat, especially with me, lol.

Carried over from my journal:

She's a third year... seriously considering anesthesiology.

So what hospital you work in?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Good deal on the declines, that's one movement that takes a backseat, especially with me, lol.
    Yeah, I'll probably do them for the next few weeks just to do a different exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    She's a third year... seriously considering anesthesiology.

So what hospital you work in?
    Nice. Gas is a good specialty. I thought about it. With all of the CRNA involvement now, it is extremely chill. I think you're in NC like me, which has one of the strongest CRNA associations in the country. She should consider an away elective at the beginning of 4th year to get some more exposure to the field in a different environment, and possibly solidify her decision. I work at CMC in Charlotte, but am going to be moving in a few months to Georgia for a new job.

Back day
    Sumo DLs
    warmupx3, 275x8, 295x 6, 315x5, 315x4, 315x3
    Felt pretty good... haven't done them in a few years. Forgot how tired DLs make you!
    Followed by corner BB rows, underhand pulldowns, machine rows.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Cokie - Glad to see you're still here!
    Coke is never going to leave! When he does, I hope that he doesn't just fade into the background. Let us know when you go Coke.

I worked 3rd shift for nearly 2 years. Tough stuff with regards to getting a sleep schedule going. Then I switched to 2nd shift. I was able to have a better schedule on 2nd. I'd lift around 9am, but that's when I had a gym set up in the basement.

I miss my home-gym! It was pretty damn nice when i think back on it.

Oh well....

What part of North Carolina? Would love to nab a job down there and make the big move as a family. Love the weather and the scenery.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Nice deadlifting! It's going to come back quick. You mentioned you lifted previously - do you know/remember what your previous max lifts were?

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Yeah, I'll probably do them for the next few weeks just to do a different exercise.

Nice. Gas is a good specialty. I thought about it. With all of the CRNA involvement now, it is extremely chill. I think you're in NC like me, which has one of the strongest CRNA associations in the country. She should consider an away elective at the beginning of 4th year to get some more exposure to the field in a different environment, and possibly solidify her decision. I work at CMC in Charlotte, but am going to be moving in a few months to Georgia for a new job.

Back day
    Sumo DLs
    warmupx3, 275x8, 295x 6, 315x5, 315x4, 315x3
    Felt pretty good... haven't done them in a few years. Forgot how tired DLs make you!
    Followed by corner BB rows, underhand pulldowns, machine rows.
    I think she's doing just that- away rotation at MUSC, in fact. We are in NC- I'm with Strategic Planning at UNCH (where she's at school)

Corner BB rows- T-bar style?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I miss my home-gym! It was pretty damn nice when i think back on it.

What part of North Carolina? Would love to nab a job down there and make the big move as a family. Love the weather and the scenery.
    Man, I honestly lack the discipline for the home gym stuff. I need to have motivation around me, you know?
    I'm in Charlotte and love it. It's a really nice, clean city that's separated into several different neighborhoods with their own feel/population. It has been slowly revamped over the years. I would rather stay here, but just couldn't refuse the Georgia job! Might move back here later in life. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rileigh View Post
    Nice deadlifting! It's going to come back quick. You mentioned you lifted previously - do you know/remember what your previous max lifts were?
    At my strongest in college, I had a 325 bench and 405 DL - but I was ~30 pounds heavier and had more body fat. I'm relying on muscle memory to serve me well right now, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    I think she's doing just that- away rotation at MUSC, in fact. We are in NC- I'm with Strategic Planning at UNCH (where she's at school)

Corner BB rows- T-bar style?
    She'll have fun there - y'all will like Charleston, I bet, although I know a lot of people who love CH. They don't have a gas residency where I am. And I meant corner rows Ronnie-style - plain barbell stuck in the corner with a cable machine grip wrapped around it.

Shoulders
    BB upright rows - warmupx3, 115x8, 125x8, 135x8, 145x6+2, 140x5+2, 150x4 with dropset
    Followed by machine rear delt flys, DB laterals, cable front raises

Work the next 5 nights in a row, starting in the most painful part of the ED tonight... wish me luck, bros. At least I got my midnight pound of meat meal already cooked, haha.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

Nice job for both days, like the back and shoulder work.

Cokie: Thanks

Curl jockey
    Skull crushers: warmup x2, 95x8, 105x6, 105x6, 105x6, 110x4+2, 110x4+2
    superset with
    DB curls: warmup x2, 40x8, 40x8, 45x5+2, 45x5+2
    followed by a few sets of cable arm stuff

Felt real shitty yesterday for some reason. Probably contracted a viral syndrome or something and ended up sleeping basically all day. Feel back at it, now, though. Time to hit night #3 of 5. Hopefully I'll get lucky again and not have to examine any nasty vajayjays tonight.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal