The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Fitness Test - Chest Press in Power Rack

I have a fitness test coming up for my job. I was given some bad information about a particular test, the % body weight push test. Most people thought it was a simple bench press test. However I found out yesterday that the test occurs in a power rack with the safety bars as close to your chest as possible (typically 2-4 inches) while lying down, the bar bell is then placed on the safety bars. I then have to press/push the bar until my elbows lock out.

The test coordinator says this test is easier then a basic bench press test and that my weight should be higher then a bench press, is that correct?

So here is my situation. Found out about this form for the test yesterday afternoon after three days of weights for upper body and push ups at the gym. I know I shouldn't have worked my arms that much in a row but I did. And to say they were sore is an understatement.

When I attempted to do this version of the test today I couldn't even do 145, did 135 easily. So I would assume with fresh arms I could have done 145.

In order to meet standards I will need to be in the 165-170 range. The test date is May 7 so I have exactly a month to increase my weight by 20-25 pounds.

Is increasing by this much in just a month possible? I have access to a 24/7 gym with a power rack and have no problems with getting into the gym. If you guys have any tips it would be greatly appreciated!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The test coordinator says this test is easier then a basic bench press test and that my weight should be higher then a bench press, is that correct?
    I wouldn't think so, no.

In order to meet standards I will need to be in the 165-170 range. The test date is May 7 so I have exactly a month to increase my weight by 20-25 pounds.

Is increasing by this much in just a month possible?
    Maybe. Depends on a few things. Have a read of this:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...bs-in-30-days/

Imho, I think he sounds like a fool. Starting a benchpress at your chests weakest point (at your chest) would only limit your power. When you start with a regular bench press, you get a stretching effect kinda like a rubber band plus momentum which helps you use bigger weights. A lot of slop-ass form has been the result of this..but still.. its easier.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Benching off the pins in the bottom position is HARDER and your weight will be lower.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Start eating!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

I'd go for the 30 lbs in 30 days routine, myself, as posted above.

Triceps are a pretty big necessity in BP.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis

There are some technique things that you can do which might provide an immediate increase in poundage (there are some good articles here, EliteFTS, etc.).

For your training I would look for a program to help you to peak for the specific test, and also focus on including the 'pin presses' at the beginning of your workout when you are fresh. Increasing your 1RM by 30 lbs in 3-4 weeks is possible, but will require an intelligent approach along with full dedication to your goal.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com