The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Sorry.. Please check out my cutting diet.

I know its been posted a lot, and everyone must get sick of reading diets and such.. but i just want to get this checked over by sum people. I think its good.

Meal 1: 1Cup Oatmeal & 5 Large Egg Whites. ( 430 Cals )
    Meal 2: Can of tuna & 150 Calories from salad and broc/cauliflower. ( 280 Cals )
    Meal 3: 1/2Can of tuna & 150 Calories from salad and broc/cauliflower. ( 215 Cals )
    Meal 4: 0.5 Cup Oatmeal & 1/2Can of tuna. ( 240 Cals )
    *****( Workout or Cardio, Depending on the day )*****
    Meal 5: Whey + Dextrose Shake ( Appox 250 Cals )
    Meal 6: Herring Fillets ( 150 cals )
    Meal 7: 30 grams Walnuts & 100 grams Cottage Cheese 1%Fat ( 290 Cals )

Total Cals: 1900 Cals. ( my maintance is around 2100-2200 so i figure this is low enough to drop cals, maybe i'll drop them a lil lower later on ).

Supps:
    Thermo, Flax Oil Caps, Whey, Dextrose, CLA, Multi Vit.

So what do you guys think about it? Mystats are as follows.. Appox 160 lbs, 15% BF, Looking to get down to 9-10% bf before i bulk again. Im also 5'9, 19 years old.

Also a few questions.. I plan on incorperating refeeds into the diet, any good links and/or articles i can read about leptin/refeeding? And what do you guys consider to be a good muscle/fat loss ratio while cutting? i was thinking 80% fat loss, 20% muscle loss. That close? or am i way off..?

Well thanx for your time, hope you respond on good/bad comments, anything helps laters guys!
    Last edited by defcon; 09-21-2003 at 05:23 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

bulking
    Your maintance is around 2100-2200??

My stats are 6'1, 172 lbs and 8% BF and im cutting with 2200 kcals and I allready think it's not enough and it will slow my metabolism down too much. Anyways, I'd start out with like a
    -200 below maintance, add another -200 once you hit a plateau (after maybe 2-3 weeks), then slowly start introducing cardio (HIIT).

The diet itself seems fine though imo.

Yup.. that is my maintanice level.. it seems your shocked that it is lower then yours.. but compar our stats, your body has a lot more calorie burning muscle then mine.. you weight 12 lbs heavier then me, and your 7% leaner. Of course your gonna beable to cut at a higher amount of cals

but about the food choices/timing.. it look good?

thanx for the comment btw keep em comin!
    Last edited by defcon; 09-21-2003 at 08:16 AM.

Re: Sorry.. Please check out my cutting diet.

Originally posted by defcon
    Meal 1: 1Cup Oatmeal & 5 Large Egg Whites. ( 430 Cals )
    Meal 2: Can of tuna & 150 Calories from salad and broc/cauliflower. ( 280 Cals )
    Meal 3: 1/2Can of tuna & 150 Calories from salad and broc/cauliflower. ( 215 Cals )
    Meal 4: 0.5 Cup Oatmeal & 1/2Can of tuna. ( 240 Cals )
    *****( Workout or Cardio, Depending on the day )*****
    Meal 5: Whey + Dextrose Shake ( Appox 250 Cals )
    Meal 6: Herring Fillets ( 150 cals )
    Meal 7: 30 grams Walnuts & 100 grams Cottage Cheese 1%Fat ( 290 Cals )
    Looks fine IMO

Supps:
    Thermo, Flax Oil Caps, Whey, Dextrose, CLA, Multi Vit.
    How many flaxseed oil caps are you taking in each day? I think fish oil would be more beneficial, especially in reference to flaxseed oil caps, due to the fact that you have to take a large amount of capsules in order to get the equivalent amount of fat in one tablespoon of flax seed oil. There is also the ineffecient conversion of ALA to EPA/DHA issue.

How much CLA are you using and at what times during the day?

Also a few questions.. I plan on incorperating refeeds into the diet, any good links and/or articles i can read about leptin/refeeding?
    http://musclemonthly.com/articles/01...wz-it-work.htm
    http://www.theministryoffitness.com/.../article18.htm

And what do you guys consider to be a good muscle/fat loss ratio while cutting? i was thinking 80% fat loss, 20% muscle loss. That close? or am i way off..?
    I think it all depends on your training and diet, and everyone will experience different results. Just try and lose a small amount of weight each week, which should help minimize LBM losses.

I've been bulking for the last 4 weeks, and have made decent gains in those last 4 weeks, up about 7lbs. But my bf is too high for my comfort level atm(started off high) its around 13-14% now. So I think I'm going to follow a similar diet to you to cut down to 10%ish then continue bulking. I'm at 168lbs now.

I'm gonna use EC/Fish Oil Caps/Multi Vit and maybe creatine as supps. Just gonna keep training hard as usually but I'll add in HIIT 2-3 times a week.

My diet will be boring like yours too, ;] oatmeal and lots of chicken/fish. The low carb, high protien, mod fat approach has worked for me in the past so I'll stick with that, and no carbs after 5pm or so.

Originally posted by Bryan
    My diet will be boring like yours too, ;] oatmeal and lots of chicken/fish. The low carb, high protien, mod fat approach has worked for me in the past so I'll stick with that, and no carbs after 5pm or so.
    In general, when one is cutting carbs are usually what get cut first, so centering most of your carbs around your training would probably be a good idea. Based on the increased nutrient partitioning that is seen in response to training.

I dont think I'll cut the carbs right away, just take down my total daily calories, then in a few weeks cut back on the carbs

thanx bradely, ive been taking 3 caps in the morning, and 3 caps with my last meal ( i did plan on buying fish oil caps instead due to the fact that ive read some of your other posts about the ineficenniency of flax oil caps )

And about the CLA, ive been taking 2.5 grams 3 times a day, once in the morning( 7:30 or so ) once around mid afternoon and once before i goto bed. What are the best times to take them? I just dun it like that to have them evenly spread out.. i was not able to find any info on when i should take them.. maybe you can help?

Also.. the refeed articles, great read. thanx So do you suggest i refeed once every 2 weeks ( im at 15% now ) and then in a month or so( bf getting down close to 11-12 hopefully ) start to refeed every once a week??

BRYAN, the diet may be "boring" but it works and i dun really find it that boring.. i like oatmeal and tuna and such, im strange i know.. but i love this BB food lol and yeah.. i will be cutting carbs during the cut, always gotta keep protein up 1-1.2 gxBW(lbs) and i try to keep fat at 25-30%..
    Last edited by defcon; 09-21-2003 at 03:30 PM.

And about the CLA, ive been taking 2.5 grams 3 times a day, once in the morning( 7:30 or so ) once around mid afternoon and once before i goto bed. What are the best times to take them? I just dun it like that to have them evenly spread out.. i was not able to find any info on when i should take them.. maybe you can help?
    I would recommend taking it with carb containing meals, as an effort to prevent the CLA being oxidized for energy. I really do not see how the timing of CLA would cause the supplement to be any less effective, but I have my doubts as to whether CLA offers any significant benefits in humans.

Another problem with CLA supplementation is finding a CLA supplement that contains a higher amount of the beneficial isomers (trans-10, cis 12). Most CLA supps contain 50/50 of both the 10,12 isomers and 9,11 isomers. The 9,11 isomers will serve to blunt the effects of the 10,12, which would put you back at square one.

From what I have read CLA might be best used to prevent fat gain when bulking due to the effects that is has on PPAR activation, which in short will help prevent the formation of new fat cells (adipogenesis).

Also.. the refeed articles, great read. thanx So do you suggest i refeed once every 2 weeks ( im at 15% now ) and then in a month or so( bf getting down close to 11-12 hopefully ) start to refeed every once a week??
    As of right now you are creating a moderate calorie deficit, so you could probably get away with refeeding less frequently. I think a refeed once a week should suffice, but then again you would need to be the judge of how often to refeed. Extreme hunger, lethargy, and/or plateau in weight loss are all signs that leptin levels are low, so this would be an ideal time to refeed. You should be able to see a pattern develop, which should allow for better planning of your refeeds, and as you get leaner you will need to refeed more often. Your bodyfat setpoint would also come into play, but this is something that you have to determine for yourself.

A general rule is that you can have longer refeeds less frequently or shorter refeeds more frequently.

Interesting about the CLA.. when this bottle is gone ( another 2-3 weeks by the looks of it ). I won't buy any more right now if i can notice any difference.. it is kinda pricey :\

About the refeed thing.. i'll just have to keep an eye out.. this is day 4 of my diet/cut cycle.. and im still having near normal amounts of energy.. not really hungry, just craving sum foods :P like oatmeal! god dammlt, i could eat 4 cups of that dry right now :P but there is no physical need for it, just mentally

so i guss i'll keep doing what im doing until i really feel lazy/tired/overall bad/ ect then i'll refeed, make a note sumwhere of how many days it took and do that all over again. it makes logical sense to see a pattern develop.. which in that case i'll beable to refeed my leptin BEFORE i get overly tired/ depresed ect. Which is a great thing During the refeed i play on taking in my normal daily diet, plus 1000 extra cals from carbs, would this be enough/too much? and should i stick to low gi carbs ( oatmeal ) or go a little bit higher with some breads ect.?
    Last edited by defcon; 09-21-2003 at 06:28 PM.

looks like a pretty well rounded diet

so i guss i'll keep doing what im doing until i really feel lazy/tired/overall bad/ ect then i'll refeed, make a note sumwhere of how many days it took and do that all over again. it makes logical sense to see a pattern develop.. which in that case i'll beable to refeed my leptin BEFORE i get overly tired/ depresed ect. Which is a great thing

During the refeed i play on taking in my normal daily diet, plus 1000 extra cals from carbs, would this be enough/too much? and should i stick to low gi carbs ( oatmeal ) or go a little bit higher with some breads ect.?
    How long of a refeed are you planning (6/12/24 hours)? I would just recommend making sure that you take in over maintenance cals, and the general recommendation is 1.1-1.1*bw. I would recommend just eating your normal diet up until the point that you plan to start your refeed. For example:

Meal 1-regular
    Meal 2-regular
    Meal 3-regular

workout-
    *refeed begins*

Interesting.. So you say i should start the refeed after my workout? Since i workout later in the afternoon ( usually ) i would do say.. a 6 hour refeed from 4pm to 10 am.. wouldnt it be bad to consume 1000 extra calories from carbs being this late towards bedtime?

Interesting.. So you say i should start the refeed after my workout? Since i workout later in the afternoon ( usually ) i would do say.. a 6 hour refeed from 4pm to 10 am.. wouldnt it be bad to consume 1000 extra calories from carbs being this late towards bedtime?
    The whole "carbs turn into fat if consumed in the evening" is just a myth, and the conversion of carbs to fat is not an effecient process in the body (de novo lipogenesis).

A six hour refeed in the evening, begining after your workout will be fine.

Great, glad ii got everything bout the refeed cleared up before i actually do a refeed im guessing it will be done this sat. or maybe friday, maybe sunday, i dunno.. but im gonna do it this weekend sumtime, depends on what day im feeling really lazy. thanx for the help Mr. Bradely

Yeah the carb to fat thing is only true if you do absolutely nothing for a few days and if its an obscene amount of carbs I would imagine. Most of it will go towards Glyc Stores in muscle tissue so dont freak out if you dont p00 out what went in. :P

Hehe and if you go FishOil Caps then make sure you DON'T burp. If you do all surrounding humanoids as well as animals will run away and you wont be able to sit in your own stink. Other than that theyre great though
    Last edited by AllUp; 09-22-2003 at 01:39 PM.
    AUIU
    <=Real Sword, Fake Glow.
    ---
    Research that s*** up son. <me
    ---
    Gyno Rhino: "I think your cyber-game just sucks."
    ---
    Brawl: "Fill it with rocks , walk up to the sales dude and hit him in the face with it . When he falls down kick him in the neck and say " this stuff is junk "."

Brawl: "Or grab a bottle bust it on the table and stab him in his neck"

don't burp? you should say don't take them until you have deaded al your tastebuds

Well my first week of cutting is up, Here are somethings I noticed, I look and feel leaner(water obviously). Strength is up. This week I didnt count my calories, I just ate cleanly and less than I have been. My supps this week went as follows, Whey,Fish Oil Caps(8 a day),Olive oil, 2g of calcium, multivit and lots of green tea(tea and extract). I did HIIT 3 times this week, first time I did 10 mins of spirints(15/45s format respectively) and 11mins the last two times. This week I'm going to continue with my training/HIIT as usually but I'll begin to count my calories and go for a 250cal deficit. Also going to introduce EC to the swing. Next week I plan to add some guggul which Ive been laying around and start with my lipoderm-y.

One thing I've noticed is that my body LOVES oh so LOVES to store fat around my midsection. Its the only place I seem to have visible fat and that kills me! even my triceps are pretty visible. Hopefully fish oil will help with this problem in the future.

On a side note I'll looking into using Leptigen II towards the end of my cutting cycle and probably into my bulking cycle. Which btw will be a slow clean bulk as I want this to be the last time I ever have to cut

sounds great bryan, i had my refeed on friday... and from friday night till today i was bed ridden with a bad bad pain in the gut, throwing up and all that nasty stuff, must be the stomach flu that is going around here

oh that sucks, I had when an illness gets in the way of training.

I havent started incorporating refeeds into my diet just yet, I'll wait until I need them

well week 2 of cutting is coming to an end and I am definately feeling the caloric deficit the last 2-3 days, esp when I'm doing HIIT. Also getting up in the morning, not to mention my ravenous appetite throughout the day now. So tomorrow I plan to do an early morning depletion workout then proceed with a nice refeed ;](mmmmmmmmmmmmmm carbs)!

I looking alot leaner this week, even my parents mentioned it. My lovehandles are not visible anymore unless i lean to the left or right. my delts/triceps are much more visible and now I need to wear a belt with all my jeans.

The biggest change between this cutting diet and my last one is the 8g/fish oil pils I'm taking daily, I wonder if thats the special touch this time, who knows.

Originally posted by Bryan

The biggest change between this cutting diet and my last one is the 8g/fish oil pils I'm taking daily, I wonder if thats the special touch this time, who knows.
    Could have something to do with it, due to the effects that n-3 fats have on gene expression.