Thread: Conjugate & CrossFit Hybrid discussion

Wannabebig Member

Conjugate & CrossFit Hybrid discussion

A number of gyms recently have been creating Conjugate/CrossFit hybrids, where some Westside style work is followed by CrossFit style conditioning, sometimes using conditioning work for some of the accessory work (might have exercises like weighted lunges or glute ham raises as part of a high intensity circuits on a lower body day, for example).

I think the mix of speed work, max effort work, and high rep assistance work, along with constant variety, makes conjugate methodology a great fit with CrossFit, as CrossFit also values a broad range of abilities and frequent variety.

Some examples of gyms I've found using versions of this:
    http://www.goldenempiretraining.com/
    http://crossfit-strength.com/

Have you tried a routine like this? Are you trying one now? Are you curious? Right now I'm mixing the two workout methods on lower body days, and doing pure Westside style upper body days (Coach Rick Scarpulla is helping me via the phone and internet on my upper body stuff. My bench sucks and I don't want it to anymore).

I wrote a program called Conjugate CrossFit for the journal.

WODs should not be used as accessory work. They do not perform even remotely the same function.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I wrote a program called Conjugate CrossFit for the journal.

WODs should not be used as accessory work. They do not perform even remotely the same function.
    I read your article on the journal. I really like how you incorporated CF into WSB and also that it can be done without any oly lifts.
    I cant really do them and here in Germany there are only 5 CF boxes and the next one is 80miles away, so thats not an option.
    Could you perform the ME lifts in the rep range 3-5 instead of singles (like in WS4SB by Joe Defranco)?
    I dont always have a spotter and there are a lot of athletes, who only train in the 75-85% of their max with occasional 1RM tests.

btt: CFFB doesnt use the WSB method but its using Strength + Condition (metcons) and it seems that its workin out.
    Coach Rick Scarpulla wrote on the CF forum about releasing a Westside for Athletes (W4A) and its mixing Conjugate and CF up

Wannabebig Member
    Chris' article was a great introduction to conjugate principles and worth reading. I like that that program keeps things simple and separate: ME days, and metcons.

Other people's spin on conjugate/CF hybrids tend to have more assistance work and incorporate some dynamic effort work or assistance before metcons on non-ME days. It will be interesting to see what people find works best after some trial and error.

Chris, how much do you think the conditioning/assistance lines can be blurred without too adversely affecting the ME day? I did sled pulling last week for assistance on ME day, 3 x ~60m with ~2 minutes in between rounds (I'd heard second hand that Mr. Scarpulla likes 60m and thought I would try that, I know you prescribed 100 ft in your CF article). I went heavy enough that it was a steady trudge--no running--and it felt like conditioning by the end. Do you think that's a problem? Should I be using shorter trips?

As for Rick Scarpulla's program, I'm very curious to see what he comes up with. As far as I know right now I believe the program will have 2 ME days a week, and then some kind of mixture of strength/DE/ and metcon work on 2 other days, and then another day for just conditioning.

Rick's program will no longer carry the Westside name. It will be his own program and Louie has nothing to do with its design.

The program I wrote is for those looking to get stronger and build their met-con simultaneously. In other words, it was written specifically for CF affiliates to use in their boxes.

For those looking to really focus on strength and just maintain their met-con a full 4 day Westside template can be used with 2 WODs per week on off days.

It is all about your focus, what you are trying to do with your training at the moment.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!