Thread: 965 squat

965 squat

2nd time in the Boss suit. Put the straps on tight this time. What is your guys thoughts on adding briefs. Meet is 7 weeks out, or I could do the SPF Nationals which will give me an extra 2 weeks. Thanks for the advice!
    best single ply meet lifts 850-670-685 best total 2170
    Multiply meet lifts 1003-700-677-2380

Wow man, that's very impressive. Good luck in your comp, what weight class will you be in?

Quote Originally Posted by K Y L E View Post
    Wow man, that's very impressive. Good luck in your comp, what weight class will you be in?
    Thanks Kyle, I am weighing about 295 right now, so I will be in the 308 class.

Moved this here because the people who can probably offer the most advice don't frequent the pics and video section.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Moved this here because the people who can probably offer the most advice don't frequent the pics and video section.
    Thanks Joey!

You seem to be hitting depth just fine. A pair of briefs would serve you well.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Some of the biggest squats ever were made in a BOSS suit with no briefs ( Granted, Henry Thommasson ( sp?) could squat a house in any suit he chooses).... but if it's working for you, why change it? Now, if you have briefs lying around you could always give them a try and see if you can still hit depth..... but I wouldn't sweat it enough to make a last minute change if this is working so well for you.

So, give it a try, but don't worry if you end up just squatting without them.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Oh, and good luck!
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    You seem to be hitting depth just fine. A pair of briefs would serve you well.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    Some of the biggest squats ever were made in a BOSS suit with no briefs ( Granted, Henry Thommasson ( sp?) could squat a house in any suit he chooses).... but if it's working for you, why change it? Now, if you have briefs lying around you could always give them a try and see if you can still hit depth..... but I wouldn't sweat it enough to make a last minute change if this is working so well for you.

So, give it a try, but don't worry if you end up just squatting without them.
    Thanks guys, I think I will try to pick up a used pair. This is my first go at multiply, so I don't have any gear. Suit is tight, any suggestions on a brief?

im no expert but if this is your first go at multiply and you can hit depth w 965 in training you should just do a meet w that setup. Adding another layer (or more depending on the brief) will complicate things a lot, especially if your suit is tight. From what ive read inzer predators are thinner briefs and if your suit is tight would be your best bet. Or single ply titan briefs

Squats looked strong.

Couple of questions for you: are you squatting in a "new" or "old" style boss suit? Have you had to have it tightened yet? What briefs would you be using (ie new or old?)

I've squatted in an older boss suit (it was unused, 3 years old when I got it last year) with a similar aged pair of briefs with no problems. The secret for me with that combination was to take 2 inches off the legs of each of them. Once I did that, I had no problem hitting depth with just the suit or the suit and briefs.

When I decided I wanted a "new" pair of boss briefs, the ones with the side panel--I started struggling hitting depth. It was a night and day different experience.

Single ply briefs (centurion) work well with that suit if the hips are tight or you just can't get down in the suit and briefs. Don't know if you have a pair of those floating around, but if you do, consider that.

Otherwise, the weight moved very well. If you change nothing, I think you'll still do great in the meet.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

I think it is the old style. It has no side inserts in it. This was my second workout in it. I didnt pull the straps tight the first go around. This time I put them on tight. I was still able to get depth with low 800s. I do have a pair of really old centruion briefs, but they just end up rolling up my leg. I have a pair of boss briefs on the way. I will try to put them on either this week or next. The orginal plan was to do the APF Nationals in Myrtle Beach, but if I cant get a hang of the brief/suit combo I may do the SPF Nationals which will give me an extra 2 weeks to train.

Hey Jonathan! Great squats! I've used the older style Boss/Boss combo well for several years. I'm now trying the new combo. With both it's been tough keeping my form all the way down with them still breaking in. I'm going to try just the suit next week with my older centurion briefs. If you've got the new style Boss briefs coming it may take a while to get them broke in enough to use...even with the older style Boss suit. Your older centurions briefs with it might not be hard to adjust quickly to, and might put you up there near a grand. Good luck at your meet!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Thanks Buddy, The suit and the briefs are both the old style. I have some fairly large quads, so I am working on the briefs now. I have 4 more squats in the gear before the meet. Hopefully it works out!
    Last edited by J_Byrd; 04-22-2012 at 04:44 PM.