Thread: Make me a Heavyweight?

Wannabebig New Member

Make me a Heavyweight?

Hey guys, I'm 6'2 20yrs & 204lbs and I'm an MMA fighter and a kickboxer. I used to be about 180lbs, but I guess I hit a growth spurt and now I can't manage to cut down to 170lbs anymore. Anyway I lost weight from 210 to 195 to compete at 185. I didn't particularly enjoy doing this at all and i've already regained most the weight. Basically I want to compete at heavyweight with has a 265lb cap. In the short term I'd like to compete at around 230lbs. Gaining a bit of bodyfat isn't a huge issue, but I certainly don't want to be obese like (some) powerlifter. Whats the best way to go about this? Any help would be much appreciated.

Current Measurements.

Chest: 45in
    Hips (around buttock) : 41in
    Waist (measured around belly button. Jean size 32) : 36in
    Wrist: 7.5in
    Forearm: 12in
    Upper arm : 15in
    At approx 15% BF.
    P.S. I'm very new to weightlifting, as in less than a couple months of serious lifting. I'm looking at starting the 5/3/1 after my knee surgery.
    Last edited by Ender Wiggin; 04-15-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Whats the best way to go about this?
    To adjust your diet. Are you currently counting calories? Do you know your maintenance level?

Wannabebig New Member
    My

BMR is 2100

TDEE is 3300

Yeah im counting my calories, or at least making an honest effort I write down everythin I eat.

You don't sound like you have the frame to be a heavyweight. Just my opinion.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    You don't sound like you have the frame to be a heavyweight. Just my opinion.
    If you don't mind, Could you elaborate for me? Also I can post pics if that would help?

Your body isn't meant to be a heavyweight fighter. Yes you can pack on size and inflate yourself, but if you are 6'2", have a 36 inch waist and weight 204, 185 is the perfect weight for you. 205 is pushing it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Wannabebig Member

want to be a heavyweight

ender,
    This is not meant as an insult, but I agree with Joey. I used to be a boxer, and I do know a little about cutting for fights..etc..judging by your measurements you aren't meant to be a heavyweight. Not to say you can't get as big as a heavyweight, but you would most likely always or quite often find yourself facing stronger and naturally bigger fighters, who have cut down from a size you built up to. you know what I mean? I hope this makes sense when you read it. Best example would be a guy who walks around at 230lbs, cutting down to 205....another guy, who basically walks around at 210 or 215 cuts down to 205. Pretty good chance they both strength train, well most likely the guy who walks around at 230 regularly will be the stronger guy. both equally trained of course.just my 2cents, but I ran up against that type of thing a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender Wiggin View Post
    HeCurrent Measurements.

Chest: 45in
    Hips (around buttock) : 41in
    Waist (measured around belly button. Jean size 32) : 36in
    Wrist: 7.5in
    Forearm: 12in
    Upper arm : 15in
    At approx 15% BF.
    P.S. I'm very new to weightlifting, as in less than a couple months of serious lifting. I'm looking at starting the 5/3/1 after my knee surgery.
    If we assume your ankle to measure 9.75", then plugging in your measurements into the calculator in the link below, if you were "maxed out" in terms of natural muscle growth (meaning, you are basically Reg Park), you would still need to have ~20% bodyfat to reach a ~270 lb. bodyweight. Assuming you are not that musculary developed, you'd probably end up being over 30% bodyfat when you reach your desired 270 lb. bodyweight.

http://www.weightrainer.net/bodypred.html

Of course this calculator is not perfectly accurate. Personally, I think it measures a bit "high", which is to say that you will probably have a higher bf% when you reach your desired weight.

Eat. Alot. Like a gallon of milk a day alot. My work is done here. Back to the Powerlifting section.

sponsored by

Don't Flinch.
    Jersey Iron Gear!
    Tone on Facebook
    880/820/770/2415 Geared
    680/530/750/1960 Raw

6'2 stay at middle weight. End thread. HW is for freaks of nature, you are not. At MW you should have a reach advantage, this is huge, at 205 you are avg, and HW you are small.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Oh and at 200 you should still be able to make WW. Lyman Good, is 199 lbs in this pic the day of the fight, and he weighed in at 170. And there is no way you are carrying as much muscle as him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I agree with everyone here. The goal is to fight at the weight class where you have the biggest advantage. Lesnar & Carwin needed custom made gloves to fight in the UFC. If you want to be champ you have to ask yourself if you can defeat guys like that. I know Brock was cutting weight...that means he walks around at 280ish...

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------