The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thoughts on Changes to my 5/3/1

So as I went through the past 3 months I've become a new man and finally seem to have understood what I need to do to progress in my training. But that being said, I feel like there are changes that need to be made and would like some feed back to optimize my training. So here's what I've been doing:

Day 1: Military Press 5/3/1
    High Incline DB Press 5x10
    Chins 3xmax
    T-bar Rows 3x10
    V-bar cable rows 3x10
    DB Shrugs3x10
    Abs

Day 2: Deadlift 5/3/1
    Sumo Deads 3x10
    Snatch Grip Deads 2x10
    Leg Curls 3x15-20
    Reverse Hypers (home made style) 3x10

3-board press or pin presses with close grip - work up to heavy triples
    Preacher curls 3x10
    Cable pushdowns 3x10
    Cable curls 2x10
    Abs

Day 3: Bench 5/3/1
    TRX pushup 3xmax
    TRX inverted row 3xmax
    DB rows 3x10
    Cable pulldowns 3x10-15
    TRX Ab rollouts

Day 4: Squat 5/3/1
    Power Clean 5/3/1
    Leg press 3x15-20
    Leg Extension 3x20
    EZ bar curls 4x5
    Rolling DB Ext 4x10
    DB Curls 3x10
    Band Pushdowns 3x50
    Abs

The only change I made over the past 3 months was over the past 2 weeks switching back work to go with lower body work and arm work with upper body work. I actually enjoyed this change, but this above template is what has lead me to moving my weights up.

Some of my related questions/ponderings are these...

the 3 board presses... I've worked up to almost my working bench weights and its felt easier on the 3 board press even with the close grip. Are there suggestions to help improve my pressing strength? Bench 275, military 170.

My squat feels weak as I get to parallel. Form wise is likely a problem but continues to develop, but I'm just not sure what i can do to improve. Cardio could be an issue, but honestly it's going to stay though not as intense especially before the weight sessions.

My military just plain sucks, but I have no idea what to do with it.

The body weight work has meant happy elbows and shoulders so I don't want to eliminate it, but obviously moving anything here... I'm open to it.

I do think that finally going towards a caloric increase after the past months will likely help.

As always thanks for anything people can contribute!
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    How are your breaking things down in terms of rest days? Are you training (2) days on / (2) days off? Or something different?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Hey Tom!

I'm training Monday Tuesday. And Thursday Friday.

I'm using the work gym which is not close so I can only hit the weights durin the week.
    He who gains victory over other men is strong; but he who gains victory over himself is strong(er)

"Get rid of all excess in life. The more you own, the more that owns you. Strip yourself of all things, of all the fat, and leave nothing but brain, muscles and cock. That is life." - Jim Wendler

My Journal

That's a lot of work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I think thats way too much work.
    On my dl day if i do
    531 DL
    5x10 DL
    Heavy Abs
    Sprints

I am wiped out

For squats if its 531,5x10,low back, abs, sprints I am spent too. On upper days you can handle higher volume but more is not better. Especially with powerlifting. If you are doing all that assistance work you should go a lil easier on the main sets.

Wannabebig Member
    How are your breaking things down in terms of rest days?
    Last edited by Ingrid37; 04-23-2012 at 04:06 AM.

More work does not translate to better.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Okay.... well the volume was mostly a result of wanting to lose weight and it worked perfectly for this venture.

So while more isn't always better is true, how would you whittle this down?

Where would you strip the volume from?

For example on Day 1: there's lots of back work but I've felt that my back needed extra attention, so do I just need a more complimentary primary accessory exercise?

And moving my tricep work to the leg days was mostly to give them extra work in developing them. My bicep work isn't overly intensive and is mostly done to make my elbows and wrists happy which it has.

My Journal

Try the 5/3/1 Bodybuilding Template

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/...iations?page=2

Make sure to adhere to the breaks between assistance time.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Thanks Vincent.

From looking at the link, I should add that with my work I was keeping the rest periods short also and trying to work at a weight that made the final sets hard to finish. So it really didn't seem like that much.

But that being said, I see how the link organizes things so I will consider using it to try for my next 5/3/1 cycle.

Thanks for the feedback!

My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by kingns View Post
    I think thats way too much work.
    On my dl day if i do
    531 DL
    5x10 DL
    Heavy Abs
    Sprints

I am wiped out

For squats if its 531,5x10,low back, abs, sprints I am spent too. On upper days you can handle higher volume but more is not better. Especially with powerlifting. If you are doing all that assistance work you should go a lil easier on the main sets.
    I AGREE. WAY TOO MUCH WORK.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Banned
    WAY TOO MUCH WORK!

If you feel like you need to do all of that back work, plus the extra pressing work, then you're training sucks. Each day of 5/3/1 addresses itself. Squat Day - do work that helps the squat. 3-4 exercises, tops. Bench Day - do work that directly helps the bench. 3-4 exercises, tops. Deadlift Day - do work that directly helps the deadlift. 3-4 exercises, tops. Militray Press Day - do work that helps the militray press. 3-4 exercises, tops.

If you're doing 2-3 back exercises in a workout, you're making bad choices for back work. If you're not spent after doing 4-5 sets of your first back exercise then you're

1. Not training heavy enough
    2. Choosing easy exercises

I know after training one back exercise, my back is fried. All I have any energy for is some very light face pulls or things of that nature.

If it's easy and fun, it probably isn't doing much good. If you hate doing it, then do it.

Reread the book because you don't really have a grasp on what Jim is talking about.

If you're getting the results you want, that's fine. If not, take the time a reread the book.

Thanks for all blunt and honest responses.

Matt, you're right in that I should re-read the book again.

This template served me well to lose weight as was my goal.

Now I just want to get stronger, which quite honestly happened during the past 3 months as I made great gains on the primary movements, getting my bench up to my best ever (275lb 1 RM) and getting my deadlift back (400lb 1 RM).

The supplementary work was being done much like the Bodybuilder Template as Vincent suggested - short rests and more for pumps, but obviously the Bodybuilder Template is much more organized and apparently better thought out lol.

Well thanks for all the assistance... obviously there's lots to consider and I need to get back to the drawing board to determine what to do next.

My Journal

Are you trying to do Wendler 5/3/1, or are you just using that rep scheme for your own programming? Because, as Matt said above, you need to reread the program. Why are you doing board presses? Don't take this the wrong way, but with a 275lb bench, I can't understand the need. I understand the concept, but most of the people that do board presses are those that wear gear. I would get back to basics, relook at the 5/3/1 template, and focuse on the basic movements.

Also, when you say you have a 170lb press and a 275lb bench. I can't tell if that is good or bad, without knowing your stats, body weight etc...
    Last edited by mike mcgee; 04-25-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb