Thread: Deadlift form problem

Deadlift form problem

I recently took a long time off from doing deadlifts due to an injury, now I'm easing back into it and paying close attention to my form. I realized that the only way I can reach the bar when it's on the ground is by slightly rounding my lower back. I'm not sure if I've always had this problem and never realized it or if this is a new problem that's developed due to a lack of flexibility caused by the time off.

It mainly just feels like my abdomen can't possibly get any closer to my thighs (ie I can't make my hip angle any smaller), so in order to get my arms lower I have to round my back. This seems like an obvious fix which would be to work on my flexibility but I'm not sure what exactly needs work. Hips, hamstrings, lower back, all of the above? Maybe I just don't know what a proper starting position should be like. Any advice?

Thanks

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Banned
    It's not terrible to have a rounded low back. It's bad iff it rounds even more as you pull. If you can hold the position as you complete the lift, you're fine.

You could work on hip, adductor (groin) and hamstring mobility/flexibility. Without seeing your form, it's hard to tell if it's an issue or not.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I agree with Rhoads on this one.... as long as it's not giving out or causing any pain it should be fine.....

if it is it could be flexibility in the hips, or it could just be form..... try sticking your chest up and your butt back/out as you reach for the bar... like sitting back for a squat.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    I recently took a long time off from doing deadlifts due to an injury, now I'm easing back into it and paying close attention to my form. I realized that the only way I can reach the bar when it's on the ground is by slightly rounding my lower back. I'm not sure if I've always had this problem and never realized it or if this is a new problem that's developed due to a lack of flexibility caused by the time off.

It mainly just feels like my abdomen can't possibly get any closer to my thighs (ie I can't make my hip angle any smaller), so in order to get my arms lower I have to round my back. This seems like an obvious fix which would be to work on my flexibility but I'm not sure what exactly needs work. Hips, hamstrings, lower back, all of the above? Maybe I just don't know what a proper starting position should be like. Any advice?

Thanks
    Do you have video?

Improving your flexibility/mobility is always a good thing, so it would not hurt to put more focus on that.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Thanks for the advice gentlemen. I don't have a video but I'll work on taking one soon. In the meantime I'm doing squats tonight so afterwards I'll spend a good chunk of time stretching everything out and working on my horrible flexibility.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay