Thread: Natural vs Artificial Sugars

Wannabebig Member

Natural vs Artificial Sugars

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/27/health...html?hpt=hp_c2

I was reading this article about soda and obesity and it got me thinking. In the article they skimmed over a study where they tested the effects of sugary drinks on your body. Once they added the sugar it wrecked their blood and raised their ldl cholesterol.

It should be obvious to most of the people here that soda ain't that good for you.

But how does that compare to the sugar found in natural fruits? If you eat equal amounts of sugar from fruits would it still throw your system out of wack like the sodas did? Or do all the vitamins and anti-oxidants completely make up for that?

Common sense tells me to eat all the fruit you want. But I get confused by the people on strict diets who also cut out all fruit.

I don't understand why, is it just because of the carbs?

Sugar is sugar, regardless of source.

The main difference is, honestly, you can chug five or six sodas in a day without even thinking about it really (many people do... hell, a single large soda from McDs is about three sodas), and at 39 grams a pop you'd have to eat about a dozen bananas to get that much.

Vitamins and antioxidants don't really cancel it out, it's more the fact that sodas are pure sugar, easy to drink, and contain little else helpful. Then again, same can be said for most fruit juice- the vitamin C doesn't really make it healthy.

Then again, if your diet allows for sugar, go for it. I take down well over 200 grams of sugar on my long rides- without it, I'd tank out. Doesn't matter if I get it from fruit, soda, wherever.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    Sugar is sugar, regardless of source.

Then again, if your diet allows for sugar, go for it. I take down well over 200 grams of sugar on my long rides- without it, I'd tank out. Doesn't matter if I get it from fruit, soda, wherever.
    QFT

Of course, there are other things in fruit that make them (generally) a better choice than other sugar sources. But afer a run, if I need quick energy, I'm reaching for a sugary drink (and sometimes even a candy bar). Not fruit.
    Last edited by r2473; 04-27-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by r2473 View Post
    QFT

Of course, there are other things in fruit that make them (generally) a better choice than other sugar sources. But afer a run, if I need quick energy, I'm reaching for a sugary drink (and sometimes even a candy bar). Not fruit.
    Listen to a beast, or the guy who calls him an idiot because he'd rather drink soda than eat fruit. Tough call.
    “As to the methods there may be a million and then some, but principles are few. The man who grasps principles can successfully select his own methods. The man who tries methods, ignoring principles, is sure to have trouble.”

Banned
    We can't argue that sugar is bad for you, especially in soda in large amounts. But, dependoing on your goals and needs, it's not always terrible.

After a 10 mile run, some Gatorade will do the body wonders for recovery with little detriment to the physique. But, pounding Gatorade all day will fatten you up, but good. I know because I used to drink a gallon a day when I was gaining weight.

Goals and needs should determine what you put in your body. That being said, maltodextrine or dextrose is probably better after a run than high fructose corn syrup.

Wannabebig New Member
    If you're not cutting sugar out of your diet, integrating fruit as a part of your diet will not hurt you. Soda definitely will (not to mention its addictive qualities and its lack of nutrition.)