The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question about fat loss through maintenance.

Am I misguided in my thought that I can obtain a slight 'body recomp' through just maintaning my weight while continuing to lift for the next couple of months?

What I'm wondering is if I can do this without actually trying to actively shed fat through specific diet and training geared towards achieving this. Stuff like carb cycling, HIIT, etc.

Is this necessary? Obviously it would help but I'm not interested in doing anything like that right now.
    If I maintain my 180 pound weight could I expect to weigh 180 two months from now at 1, maybe 2% less body fat by just continuing my strength routine?

Just something I had on my mind that I don't fully understand...
    Last edited by Bako Lifter; 04-29-2012 at 03:28 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post
    Am I misguided in my thought that I can obtain a slight 'body recomp' through just maintaning my weight while continuing to lift for the next couple of months?

What I'm wondering is if I can do this without actually trying to actively shed fat through specific diet and training geared towards achieving this. Stuff like carb cycling, HIIT, etc.

Is this necessary? Obviously it would help but I'm not interested in doing anything like that right now.
    If I maintain my 180 pound weight could I expect to weigh 180 two months from now at 1, maybe 2% less body fat by just continuing my strength routine?

Technically, yes, that would be possible. You would be increasing LBM at the expense of stored body fat. A lot of it will depend on your routine and if you are making strength gains. The other consideration will be is if your gains are more neurological or not. I think the biggest problem with people trying to "recomp" is the fact that a lot of it is theoretical and anything observed in the mirror takes a long time. On top of that, you'd have to be exact on your Calories which is often hard to do.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Technically, yes, that would be possible. You would be increasing LBM at the expense of stored body fat. A lot of it will depend on your routine and if you are making strength gains. The other consideration will be is if your gains are more neurological or not. I think the biggest problem with people trying to "recomp" is the fact that a lot of it is theoretical and anything observed in the mirror takes a long time. On top of that, you'd have to be exact on your Calories which is often hard to do.
    I've thought about this concept a lot. I agree if you are not getting stronger during the maintenance then there is no way you are "recomping". Even if you are getting stronger it could be neurological.

I think its better to cut calories a bit and try to maintain your current strength / get a little stronger while loosing a little bit of weight. I think 2% body fat is pretty easy to drop (unless its already really low) and if you are training pretty seriously it should come off no problem, and quickly.

If you just don't want to see a lower weight on the scale I think you are out of luck. I think everyone here wishes they could turn the fat on their body to muscle.

Maybe someone else has more experience with this though, or has been able to do it successfully.
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    I think its better to cut calories a bit and try to maintain your current strength / get a little stronger while loosing a little bit of weight. I think 2% body fat is pretty easy to drop (unless its already really low) and if you are training pretty seriously it should come off no problem, and quickly.
    If all you do is drop a few calories one would more likely just become a bit smaller version of themself versus a leaner version. I have been around a while and the easiest way to recomp is through diet. It does not have to be drastic. In my opinion, just implementing some thoughtful changes can make the difference you want over a couple of months.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

I think it's possible when you're still taking advantage of newbie gains. Once you've been training for awhile forget about it.

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    If all you do is drop a few calories one would more likely just become a bit smaller version of themself versus a leaner version. I have been around a while and the easiest way to recomp is through diet. It does not have to be drastic. In my opinion, just implementing some thoughtful changes can make the difference you want over a couple of months.
    Wouldn't 'thoughtful changes' mean slightly lowered Calories in most cases for people anyways?
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Bako Lifter View Post

I think you'd reach your goals faster if you focused on one thing only.

Wouldn't 'thoughtful changes' mean slightly lowered Calories in most cases for people anyways?
    No, if your diet is not yielding you the results you want, just lowering your calories may just lower your bodyweight versus lowering bodyfat alone. The op wants to recomp, not just lose weight.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

No, if your diet is not yielding you the results you want, just lowering your calories may just lower your bodyweight versus lowering bodyfat alone. The op wants to recomp, not just lose weight.
    Right...but if he lowered Calories only slightly, he would pull from fat stores. When people say "make better choices." or "clean up the diet" this almost always implies a Calorie reduction..whether it was the goal or not.

But I do agree. Simple choices are best. No need to count at this time.

Im not sure if im understanding this correctly. I have always been under the impression losing BF=more calories out than in. A.K.A reduction of total calories. How does one make sure he is losing BF alone then?
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Im not sure if im understanding this correctly. I have always been under the impression losing BF=more calories out than in. A.K.A reduction of total calories. How does one make sure he is losing BF alone then?
    The idea is someone creates lbm at the expense of stored fat..but since lbm gains are so slow and irregular, and the fact that calories would have to be exact, its hard to do. That was kind of my point. When people say "just clean up the diet or sub better food choices" they are simply masking the fact that calories are lowered. But still...it works. People who make only small changes typically stay on it for longer and retain more strength.

I'm curious about this as well. If I was taking in 5000 calories during a bulk phase, with a good amount of those calories being clean, how would you adjust the diet for a recomp? Try and clean it up a bit more, say 4500 of healthier calories or something along those lines?
    Best Gym Lifts:
    475 - 315 - 585

Best Meet Lifts (220 Raw)
    435 - 295 - 555 (1285)

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff31 View Post
    I'm curious about this as well. If I was taking in 5000 calories during a bulk phase, with a good amount of those calories being clean, how would you adjust the diet for a recomp? Try and clean it up a bit more, say 4500 of healthier calories or something along those lines?
    4500 vs 5000 caloriies... -500 a day and about a lb fat loss per week. Magic. That's not recomping, that's simple calorie reduction to lose fat.

4500 vs 5000 caloriies... -500 a day and about a lb fat loss per week. Magic. That's not recomping, that's simple calorie reduction to lose fat.
    Whats the difference between 'recomping' and just losing BF due to a calorie deficit? And how does one 'recomp'?

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

I'm dizzy from reading this. The op never discussed his diet and whether he eats clean or not. I do not take for granted people know a lot about nutrition (I know some, but am not an expert). When someone says dropping calories I do not assume what they are taking out. According to many of you here, as long as he just reduces calories he will lose bf. So if all the calories come from protein will he still lose bf only?

My point is, if your macros are not in order you may just become a smaller version of yourself by reducing calories. I have done this and did not like the results. Following programs such as carb cycling, backloading, and IF yielded much better results in my opinion. A plan is what I am talking about when I say thoughtful changes.

The OP wants his body comp to change without really changing anything. How about this, I am not trying to sway any opinions on herre, I'll just say I think one needs to either change their diet and or increase conditioning/cardio in order to drop a few percents in bodyfat.
    Last edited by vdizenzo; 05-03-2012 at 05:51 AM.

I'm dizzy from reading this. The op never discussed his diet and whether he eats clean or not. I do not take for granted people know a lot about nutrition (I know some, but am not an expert). When someone says dropping calories I do not assume what they are taking out. According to many of you here, as long as he just reduces calories he will lose bf. So if all the calories come from protein will he still lose bf only?
    Depending on how much protein he was getting before, how many calories he dropped, and/or if he displaced part of that with carbohydrates. But in general, people don't lose pure 100% bf anyways. But most people don't see their muscles vanish from having lower protein than people suggest unless they were already having a low body fat to begin. I think in the beginning people often just get too damn specific. Sometimes eating less really does work in the beginning.

My point is, if your macros are not in order you may just become a smaller version of yourself by reducing calories. I have done this and did not like the results. Following programs such as carb cycling, backloading, and IF yielded much better results in my opinion. A plan is what I am talking about when I say thoughtful changes.
    Ah, I see. That does make sense and I totally agree with that.

The OP wants his body comp to change without really changing anything. How about this, I am not trying to sway any opinions on herre, I'll just say I think one needs to either change their diet and or increase conditioning/cardio in order to drop a few percents in bodyfat.
    No disagreements here either. This usually results in lower Calories or more burned so body fat drops. I know a couple of bodybuilders often spend a few weeks just walking more before they begin their diets and I think thats a great idea.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 05-03-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Yes Bako you can. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    Yes Bako you can. If you have any specific questions feel free to pm me.
    So he can recomp by just doing what he's currently doing? I have a specific question, how can he do this? It's not like he's new to lifting. I am not trying to be a wise a$$ either. I like to learn whenever and wherever possible.

Thats kinda why it works in theory. Easier with drugs.. but maintaining your body weight while reducing % bf can only mean that you lost fat, and gained muscle, or gained muscle at the expense of body fat. But so many people lift more weight simply because they improve their leverages, portions of the lift, or neurological efficiency. For someone not on drugs, I just think muscle gains are too erratic and slow to make it meaningful.

So he can recomp by just doing what he's currently doing? I have a specific question, how can he do this? It's not like he's new to lifting. I am not trying to be a wise a$$ either. I like to learn whenever and wherever possible.
    I've done legit recomps in the past. I've also cut more than once while still gaining strength. I know some are going to disagree with me, but I really believe the carb and fat ratio is the key. My philosophy is that carbs are only necessary to keep glycogen full. I'm not a "no carb" advocate at all, but I do believe general timing makes a difference as well.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Ok this cleared up my question..I just assumed hitting your macros appropriately was implied, that why I had my confusion on what you said dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Whoopipally View Post
    Ok this cleared up my question..I just assumed hitting your macros appropriately was implied, that why I had my confusion on what you said dude.
    I think some of us just know that Bako has been around long enough to not simply eat 0grams of protein when reducing calories, lol.

I think some of us just know that Bako has been around long enough to not simply eat 0grams of protein when reducing calories, lol.
    I was referring to this my man: "If all you do is drop a few calories one would more likely just become a bit smaller version of themself versus a leaner version."

I was confused on that until he cleared it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I've done legit recomps in the past. I've also cut more than once while still gaining strength. I know some are going to disagree with me, but I really believe the carb and fat ratio is the key. My philosophy is that carbs are only necessary to keep glycogen full. I'm not a "no carb" advocate at all, but I do believe general timing makes a difference as well.
    I totally agree with that. I have hit pr's during training without eating carbs prior to lifting.

Back to Bako, remember he said he wanted to recomp without changing diet or changing his training.

Bako-like some have said:

If you dont change your diet or training, a slight recomp is possible due to the fact that you might add a little Lean body mass, thus lowering your BF% slightly. But like others have said again...I would add something more. If you really want some change, maybe add some cardio/complexes to spice things up.