The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat Form Check - Inner Right Knee Pain

Week before last, at 350lbs squats, my right knee started hurting a little. I have had these aches and pains off and on since starting SS. That Wednesday it was still hurting and I went ahead and squatted the 355lbs and it seemed to aggravate it more. Still hurting but, I went ahead and squatted the 360lbs on Friday morning. It all felt great but, it started hurting even more.

I took all of last week off to let it heal or whatever it was going to do. It hurt that Saturday and Sunday to just walk around but, by Monday it was pretty much gone. Hadn't bothered me at all.

This morning I could "feel" where the pain was coming from just like the week before. It feels like it's in the inner right knee. Almost (or right at) where the joints meet. I'm not familiar with tendentious and maybe that's what it is but, no idea. Hopefully some of you can help me figure it out in these three videos I took this morning.

Is there anything I'm missing (besides my left arm) or anything that stands out what might be causing it?

One cool thing. I had to tighten up my belt by one hole. :P

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Form is good from my perspective man. By what your describing it sounds like your ACL and/or PCL is bothering you.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

You look pretty good technique wise. How is your prehab? Ice or contrast showers? Do you foam roll?
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Banned
    Holy shit, you're badass! That's just inspiring!

You look dead on, form-wise. You might be shifting to the right to compensate and try to keep the bar in place which might be putting pressure on the knee. i don't know for sure.

Keep training hard, man. Badass!

First of all....amazing! Absolutely amazing!

In terms of your knee troubles......what I see is the same as Matt. To me, it looks like your right shoulder/trap/torso is pulling back, while your left side is leaning forward. This is most prevalent in the second video. I copied this movement myself and could feel a "little" pull on my inner right knee (sans weight) With 350lbs it might make an impact.

Just my observation.

Cheers
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

In the first video the only thing I can see is that you push your knees out on the descent as you should, but you let them cave-in a bit as you rise back up.

The other guys are probably right in that it may have to do with how you have to hold the bar and a compensation in order to try to maintain balance.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Many times inner knee pain can be the result of a very tight IT band. Try stretching them out and then resting the knee another week or two to get the inflammation down.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Wannabebig Member
    What you are describing sounds more like tendonitis than something structural, I'm always a fan of getting things checked out by a doctor though (just in case). A structural issue (torn ligament, torn cartilage) is usually accompanied by a decent amount of swelling (I'm not a doctor but after my 14th orthopedic surgery I feel like I should be able to give unsolicited advice) and a feeling, usually, of instability, tendonitis on the other hand can occur with little visible swelling and from what you are describing it sounds like that may be what you are experiencing, NSAIDs, ice and rest are usually prescribed as treatment with maybe a few weeks to recover. One more time, it never hurts to get it checked out by a pro.
    By the way your squat form looks awesome, I have no idea how you balance the weight with just one arm but you're doing a great job, nice, deep controlled squats, keep it up.

Looks like it's tough for you to keep that left scapula retracted. My guess is that, plus trying to balance the weight, is throwing stress onto your right hip and knee. You can see this shift of the hips to the right pretty clearly in the second video.

I don't know that it will solve the issue (and it might take some doing) but you could certainly try some squats with a sandbag shouldered to the left. Keep that chest out and big as possible really keeping that left scap retracted and see how that goes. Rigging something up w. bands might be possible as well.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Banned
    I just thought of this... If you have the cash, get a Safety Squat Bar. I bet that'll solve the leaning problem as you don't have to even hold the bar while you squat.

That´s so inspiring. Impressive stuff and nice technique.

I totally agree with Rhodes. Great idea!