Thread: slowing things down..

slowing things down..

Over the past year I have managed to develope a good deal of speed in all three lifts. While I feel this has played a large role in strength gains, I have gotten to the point where I tend to miss a lift if it slows very much at all. So as I ease back into training the plan is to intentionally slow down movements and learn to strain when things slow down.

I was wondering if anyone here has/has had the same issue? If so, what did you do to improve in this area?

Success
    J
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

http://reactivetrainingsystems.com/a...learn-to-grind

I've noticed my benches and squats have slowed down over a couple of months but I have still been making progress. Im sure at some point I will have to include speed work to keep that progress going if the trend of slower bar speed continues.

slow to grow. Doing a lift fast makes it easier IMO. If you do it slower and controlled it will build more.
    This article by JL Holdsworth is a good example
    http://www.elitefts.com/documents/pa...our_stroke.htm

Thanks fellas.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!

Best raw lifts:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I think you are on the right path here bro.
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    Sling shot
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

I think there must be something lagging to slow down your lifts imho. I don't think performing lifts explosively is the problem. Using myself for example. When I used to bench it would fly to lockout or I had no chance to finish it. I didn't stop lifting explosively as a result, I improved my weakness. I really took a long hard look at my tricep work and fixed it. Now I can grind weight more than I ever have been able to.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

high reps have always made me better at grinding out a rep as well.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    I think there must be something lagging to slow down your lifts imho. I don't think performing lifts explosively is the problem. Using myself for example. When I used to bench it would fly to lockout or I had no chance to finish it. I didn't stop lifting explosively as a result, I improved my weakness. I really took a long hard look at my tricep work and fixed it. Now I can grind weight more than I ever have been able to.
    I Thanks for the insight. I will definately be on the look out for weaknesses.

Best raw lifts:

Bands for ME or low reps will help.

Another thing is how often do you work up to ME singles? In other words, is a larger percentage of your training the compounds wit reps or singles (percentage being as a percent of the mix, not volume as low rep training dictates low volume).

Chris- I tend to take 1-2rm's every 3rd(ish) week. Focusing on explosive strength has added more than 50 pounds to each of my lifts (100+ to squat and pull) in less than a year. My suspicion is that becoming more explosive has allowed me to handle/lift more weight but that my over all (absolute) strength just needs a bit of focus and time to catch up. Right now the plan is to add heavy bands, chains (or both) on me days for a few cycles. I'm also wondering if I don't spend enough time doing ME sets of 3-5+ reps. I tend to spend more time on doubles and singles. Lots to consider and play with moving forward. Thanks for all the input!
    Last edited by Justin Randal; 06-18-2012 at 10:54 AM.

Best raw lifts:

Heavy bands and short bands will certainly slow your a$$ down. I like that idea for you.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Randal View Post
    Chris- I tend to take 1-2rm's every 3rd(ish) week. Focusing on explosive strength has added more than 50 pounds to each of my lifts (100+ to squat and pull) in less than a year. My suspicion is that becoming more explosive has allowed me to handle/lift more weight but that my over all (absolute) strength just needs a bit of focus and time to catch up. Right now the plan is to add heavy bands, chains (or both) on me days for a few cycles. I'm also wondering if I don't spend enough time doing ME sets of 3-5+ reps. I tend to spend more time on doubles and singles. Lots to consider and play with moving forward. Thanks for all the input!
    If you've added 100lbs to your pull and squat, I think that'd be an indication that speed works well.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Haha, one of my dad's favorite quotes! I agree 100% that speed strength has been a huge factor in my gains but refuse to ignore any kind of weakness as I have no plans of slowing down my progress. While I have no plans to give up the speed I've worked for, I do plan to learn to strain in the event that I do slow down. I'm just modifying my training plan to suit my current weaknesses.
    Last edited by Justin Randal; 06-18-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Best raw lifts: