Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parkinson's Disease from Bad Heroin,

Hybrid View

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.

Parkinson's Disease from Bad Heroin,

My mom is currently going for her teacher's certification and is taking a clinical psychology class. She just told me a story that I think you might find quite interesting. In Los Angeles recently several drug dealers were making a batch of heroin, and they made a mistake at some point, so they stopped the process and went out to sell the bad batch. Around 40 people bought it, and every one of them went into seizures within 2 hours. Apon being admitted to the hospital, no one could figure out why everyone was reacting the way they were. It turns out, the bad heroin burnt out the substantia nigra (not sure on the spelling, it's the part of the brain that deals with dopamine). Every one of the people that toook a dose of the bad heroin developed full blown Parkinson's within a couple hours. The lab was of course seized, and it's trying to be determined exactly how the bad batch of heroin
    went directly to the people's substantia nigra, and effectively blew it out.

*puts the kilo of heroin away* damn...
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I find the term 'bad heroin' quite amusing.

Dead Sexy Member
    yep, a lil bit of an oxymoron.

bone crusher
    sounds like borderline urban legend

you cant make heroin in the us
    it is harvested from poppies and generally processed in the country of origin

Just like the people that stared at the sun on acid right.

There's a chemical known as MPTP which can be accidentally made while trying to make meperidine, which is popular with narcotics addicts. MPTP destroys the substantia nigra and causes Parkinson's disease. This was first recognized in the late 1970's. Apparently people are still permanently screwing themselves up with MPTP.

Taras beat me to it. It's true.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    that's very interesting, well now I know

bone crusher
    Originally posted by Taras
    There's a chemical known as MPTP which can be accidentally made while trying to make meperidine, which is popular with narcotics addicts. MPTP destroys the substantia nigra and causes Parkinson's disease. This was first recognized in the late 1970's. Apparently people are still permanently screwing themselves up with MPTP.
    yes this is true and i was looking for my reference which described this. Apparently this was during the designer drug craze. Interestingly, it was a small tweak in the acylation reaction which instead resulted in the undesired E2 elimination product being the exclusive product (not something that would be expected at first glance). ALthough these drug users turned into vegetables, they provided key insight into the physiological changes/causes of parkinson's disease and related symptoms.

This however has nothing to do with heroin, which is a derivative of the opium poppy and the resin which is secreted from it. Thus the teacher was not correct.

mentally files this away under parkinson's research/subfolder neuroexcitotoxins
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

**** and my biggest concern before was whether or not the needle was clean...
    "They will spend their nights dreaming of six-pack
    abs and a rock hard physique, little do they realize eventually we will reach
    our goal and they will be dreaming of the body we walk around with every
    day…only then will they understand." -- Severed Ties

"There are 6 billion people in this world, and I'm #1." -- me

3:16

Re: Parkinson's Disease from Bad Heroin,

Originally posted by Accipiter
    My mom is currently going for her teacher's certification and is taking a clinical psychology class. She just told me a story that I think you might find quite interesting. In Los Angeles recently several drug dealers were making a batch of heroin, and they made a mistake at some point, so they stopped the process and went out to sell the bad batch. Around 40 people bought it, and every one of them went into seizures within 2 hours. Apon being admitted to the hospital, no one could figure out why everyone was reacting the way they were. It turns out, the bad heroin burnt out the substantia nigra (not sure on the spelling, it's the part of the brain that deals with dopamine). Every one of the people that toook a dose of the bad heroin developed full blown Parkinson's within a couple hours. The lab was of course seized, and it's trying to be determined exactly how the bad batch of heroin
    went directly to the people's substantia nigra, and effectively blew it out.

well it cheaper than our government paying for a drug rehibilitation costs, and the trouble police have to go through stoping drug related crimes?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

not if you knew the cost of parkinson's medication.

(ye olde Quick Reply box rears its head again)

Doc, what made the reaction go down the E2 path? Did they do something wrong with the conditions, or did they just not recognize the equilibrium reaction would favor that product? Man, I loved organic chemistry. *ducks textbooks thrown his way*

3:16
    Originally posted by Tryska
    not if you knew the cost of parkinson's medication.
    it costs a lot then?

but parkinson dieases wreks there lives, not the lives of the poeple that got burgled etc to pay for the habit?

though not every one steals or does other crimes, but its quite common in some british cities for this to happen.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

body has a point here...

bone crusher
    delphi it is actually a slight difference in reaction conditions that caused the elimination to be favored. THey were trying to synthesize a propionyl ester from the starting alcohol by treatment of the alcohol with propionyl chloride in the presence of pyridine (as the base). Typically a standard reaction that is straightfoward. However, because the elimination product resulted in a double bond which was in conjugation with an aromatic ring, the excess of pyridine was basic enough to cause the E2 pathway to dominate. Later, this problem was solved by the use of propionic annhydride as the acylating agent. A subtle difference in conditions led to totally different products

An interesting note, the product which resulted was not what actually induced the parkinsons, but was instead a pro-drug. The liver enzyme mono-amine oxidase (MAO) was actually converting the prodrug to the neurotoxic product (which i believe is the N-oxide, but i may be mistaken hear as MAO might use Alpha- or beta-oxidation pathways

Cool. You should manufacture prohormones.

bone crusher
    although i am quite sure about this, i need to check on the info i posted on MAO as it has been some time since i read it.

As far as manufacturing prohormones, Patrick arnold, if you still read these forums, send me a PM

heh heh

yeah.....judging from my father's scrip bills it costs a lot, and of course there's the meds that need to be taken for the side effects of the meds etc etc...it's like a big snowball.

"bad heroin" as opposed to "Good heroin"

Re: Parkinson's Disease from Bad Heroin,

Originally posted by Accipiter
    Around 40 people bought it, and every one of them went into seizures within 2 hours.
    Man, that's unfortunate .... they only got seizures? Ah well, maybe they'll do it right next time.

The government should purposely produce "bad heroin" so all the druggies out there get what's coming to them.

bone crusher
    otter that is one of the dumbest things i've read on this board

You beat me to it.

thats pathetic bullshiat