The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    What is the problem with waiting a long time in between sets. You will obviously be able to lift more. You won't have your heart rate up high so you might lose that fat burning process but that is not really important if you diet.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i wait around 60 seconds maximum in between sets. it keeps the blood in the same area and gives a real good pump during my workouts.

Wannabebig Member

resting until 1 more rep

I was just wondering what if I apply the breathing squat philosophy to all exercises and keep doing additional rep until I double my reps.

Once I reach failure I would wait 5-10 seconds before each rep until I double my failure reps. Will that be possible or will that help?

I have tried doing stiff leg deadlift with rest/pause, breathing and varying the grips (left right grips and overhand grip) to increase my failure reps. It seems to give more soreness that the usual multi-set workout.

Shorter rests promote greater muscle hypertrophy because you aren't allowing the biochemical activity of the cell to return to normal levels-- this includes lactate concentrations, ATP levels, et al.

For sheer strength considerations, rest intervals of 2 minutes or greater are recommended because you need those factors to stabilize again-- but for mass, using shorter rests is beneficial.

PowerMan

When I was younger, more muscular & carried less bodyfat, I would rest no more than 45 sec.s between. Now that I am ancient (40), I find 90-100 sec.s is just about right. Everyone is an individual, do what feels right.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

"I can resist anything but temptation."

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman:Stuff you pay good money for later in life."

Gary what city are you from?

it takes 4 minutes for all atp to replenish, so i usually wait atleast 3 minutes. i think you must if your train at
    4-5 reps.
    "The harder you train, the harder it is to give up" ~Vince Lombardi~

Usually 3 minutes.

i've been waiting a good week...not sure when i'm ready to finish off that last set!

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    Shorter rests promote greater muscle hypertrophy because you aren't allowing the biochemical activity of the cell to return to normal levels-- this includes lactate concentrations, ATP levels, et al.
    i don't see how this would be true; how can excercising with low ATP and high lactic acid concentrations increase hypetrophy? lifting stimulates hypertrophy, and more rest allows u to lift more without burning too much muscle. with low ATP levels, u will tire out, failing due to exhaustion. with high lactic acid levels, ur brain will "tell" ur muscle to fail b4 it could be stressed enough (it just happens this way. lactic acid crystallizes and causes pain, also known as burning). this also happens when u feel pain, maybe due to injury or sth, which causes u to athletically perform less.

my opinion is to rest until the burn wears off. u would not "cool down" if u rest less than 10min. for squats, ie, i rest up to 6 min sometimes. this way, i can do full sets instead of decreasing reps each time.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

I believe that most weightlifters want both increased size and strength. Longer rests will allow the use of greater poundages. This will allow the trainee to maximally stimulate growth of the contractile portions of the muscle cell. Shorter rest periods will cause the body to adapt in a fashion that will allow more efficient use of oxygen. This will ellicit an increase in cell mitochondria, vascularization etc. (non contractile stuff). So, I think that Powerman has a point. Personally, I feel that a trainee should train in both manners. I believe that one should perform a maximal set or two, followed by a set or two performed more for the "pump" (in order to stimulate the non contractile portions of the muscle cell). This will allow the trainee to accomplish both goals (size and strength). If I had to train in only one fashion, I would pick the longer rest period to maximally stimulate strength. Now listen, only stimulating the contactile portions of the muscle will (hopefully) create hypertrophy of said components and therefore increased size. Training with shorter rest periods will stimulate the non contractile properties and stimulate a certain degree of hypertrophy, but they are the less important of the two for overall size. In short, if you want maximum size and strength, you will train with both methods in the same session. Of course, this whole conversation is really nitpicking and if you just train with high intensity and proper rest between sessions, you will be just fine.

Originally posted by chris mason
    if you just train with high intensity and proper rest between sessions, you will be just fine.
    Done.

Wannabebig Member
    San Francisco. Thats the only response to my question? LOL It was silly question anyway... Another silly question: what happened to Miss ABs?

Originally posted by Darcy Tucker
    Gary what city are you from?

Originally posted by chris mason
    I believe that most weightlifters want both increased size and strength. Longer rests will allow the use of greater poundages. This will allow the trainee to maximally stimulate growth of the contractile portions of the muscle cell. Shorter rest periods will cause the body to adapt in a fashion that will allow more efficient use of oxygen. This will ellicit an increase in cell mitochondria, vascularization etc. (non contractile stuff). So, I think that Powerman has a point. Personally, I feel that a trainee should train in both manners. I believe that one should perform a maximal set or two, followed by a set or two performed more for the "pump" (in order to stimulate the non contractile portions of the muscle cell). This will allow the trainee to accomplish both goals (size and strength). If I had to train in only one fashion, I would pick the longer rest period to maximally stimulate strength. Now listen, only stimulating the contactile portions of the muscle will (hopefully) create hypertrophy of said components and therefore increased size. Training with shorter rest periods will stimulate the non contractile properties and stimulate a certain degree of hypertrophy, but they are the less important of the two for overall size. In short, if you want maximum size and strength, you will train with both methods in the same session. Of course, this whole conversation is really nitpicking and if you just train with high intensity and proper rest between sessions, you will be just fine.
    What the hell? Chris, have I actually started making sense to you? LOL

Well, I guess its better than clubbing me over the head

;-)

PowerMan

Great post, Chris.

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I rest...enough. I rest until I'm ready. Sometimes thirty seconds, sometimes three minutes. Either way, I dont lift the weight for another set until i know I'm ready for it. Unless I'm doing cheats, or forced reps.

good info here

I take quite a long time between sets compared to most in my gym..

It really depends on the exericise.. I.e for most tricep exerices I can get away with a few minutes tops, whereas for squats, deadlifts or other major compund movements I can leave it up to 3-5 mins.