The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member
    What's a good ab workout to get that six pack coming through? How often a week should I work my abs? Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Everyone here will tell you low volume no matter what. I say if you are going to do low volume, do abs 3 days a week.

Here is a low volume workout you might want to start with:

Leg Raises - 20 X2
    Side Crunches - 35 X 1
    Incline Sit-Ups - 20 X 2

Everyone here will tell you to focus on dropping the fat.

Wannabebig Member
    Well I've been cleaning up my diet alot as of late to cut out alot of the fat. I'm 153 lbs and 5'9" so I'm not that heavy and trying to pack on weight, 'cept get rid of the fat in the tummy, would a thermogenic work well in helping the abs come out along with a good ab routine? Or since I'm trying to put mass on in other areas, would the thermo(I've been thinking of getting a bottle of dextramine Extreme by AST) hold me back?

I have an Ab Do-Er It costs $100...everytime I do it, it seems to work my abs good so they come through, but I don't feel the burn. It's kinda like an ab exercise machine..I think it's working so far.

The best thing for abs is diet. You can't have a nice six pack if your trying to bulk up. It's nearly impossible. When you bulk up your going to gain some fat as well as muscle. The first place that fat is going to hit is your gut. Trust me.

I was cutting down for the summer, but decided to forget it. Its been around a week and a half and already my six pack is starting to slowly dissapear.

It's a hard thing to keep. For most of us at least.

MuscleAuthority is right

i have been doing supplements and during the last 2 months i have gained 8 pounds and my bench has gone up 20 pounds on bench reps but i have almost completly lost what i had of a six pack, so now i am going to try an on off phase of supplements.

Besides workout fequency, #of sets, I think genetics also have a part in getting & keeping the elusive 6pack.
    Personally, mine is like intelligent life on other planets & bigfoot. I think its possible it exists---but I have never seen it.....been looking for it for years.
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

"I can resist anything but temptation."

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman:Stuff you pay good money for later in life."

Bah... genetics has nothing to do with it. Well, maybe to a certain extent, but almost anyone can bring out their six-pack with hard work. Sure, some people will have to regulate their diets or exercise more than others, but it isn't as elusive as some may think.

The problem is that many Americans are so accustomed to eating unhealthy foods, that even when they think they are eating healthy they aren't (i.e. eating the grilled chicken sandwich at McDonald's is not healthy).

The fact is, most people don't exercise intensely enough, with enough frequency (3-4 times per week), and control their diet adequately to accomplish their goal of a six-pack.

1. Diet
    2. Train abs 2 times a week
    3. Cardio 2 times week ( if you need to drop a good amount of body fat )

Keep pumping !

Wannabebig Member Podium Kreatin's Avatar
    genetics doesn't have much on a six pack, maybe the metabolism tho. i only had it last year when i was dehydrated for making weight, but now, i still have one even after wrestling was over. it could be cuz i started doing weighted crunches
    one reason why heavy crunches work is bc it makes ur abs stick out more, so even if ur bodyfat is about 12-15%, u can still see them.
    "No one can completely believe that I am natural.
    The most important drug is to train like a madman
    -really like a madman
    The people who accuse me are those who have never trained once in their life as I train every day of my life."

Alexandr Karelin
    Ten-time World Greco-Roman Champion
    1988, 1992, 1996 Olympic gold medalist

current stats (10/19/03): 20yrs, M, 5'4 @160lbs, ~11% body fat
    lifted since march 2000

PK I meant genetics in that some lucky b*stards can muscle up easier than others or eat a friggin truckload of food & stay lean.....I hate those guys ...
    "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk.That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."

"I can resist anything but temptation."

"You don't appreciate a lot of stuff in school until you get older.Little things like being spanked every day by a middle aged woman:Stuff you pay good money for later in life."

Wannabebig Member

I use the ab-slide

10 - 15 minutes a day, it's working pretty nicely but diet is definately has the biggest role.

clueless wonder
    heh. abslide? Which one is that? Sounds like it gives you rugburns or something. I think your household is sucked in a little bit too much by all those infomercials if you have BOTH the abslide and the bowflex... I'm imagining your house to be identical to one of those "As seen on TV" stores in my nearby mall.

Pretty Fly for an Old Guy W8_4_Me's Avatar
    Ab slider? Ab Do Er? Ab-a-Dabba?

Oh, com'on.

Try a decline bench with a 45 lb plate on your stomach. Go down so that your back is parallel with the floor and come back up. Do them till you drop.

Obliques? Do the same thing, but twist when you reach the top.

On that same decline bench, put a broom handle across your shoulders, drape your arms over it and twist-twist-twist-twist.

Do THAT a couple of times a week and see what happens.

This is oldskool lifting, but that's how I lift.