Thread: So... what's a dumbell?

Wannabebig Member

So... what's a dumbell?

Hey,

I'm a complete noob (well, sorry to mislead you, I DO know what a dumbell is ;D) at weights, but I did do some pressups a while back and managed to get to 70 in a minute. However - I looked absolutely no different than when i started at 20 a minute..

I want to gain a bit of muscle WITHOUT any fancy equipment (none at all if possible because I'm really poor), specifically bulk up my shoulders and arms.
    I know there's a sticky thread but I just want to focus on the one element specifically, so I'm not sure if anything would change and how.

I don't want to do any lower body stuff since I can already get up the stairs in just over a second (yes I did time it). But it's scary how physically weak I can be sometimes with upper body.

SO. As of yesterday I started doing as many situps as I can handle, then as many pressups.
    1. Should I work out every day? Every two days?
    2. Are these excercises the best for what I'm trying to do?
    3. Is there a specific structure I should incorporate for what I'm trying to do?
    (eg. 20 reps then break, 10 of something else, 20 more etc.)

Cheers

*without joining a gym sorry for being picky, I'll be moving around a lot
    Last edited by Saarik; 05-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.

do you have $10?

If so, join a gym. If you don't, let your friend borrow your *insert object here* for 10$, then join a gym.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

You will not make progress unless you find a way to make the exercises harder; wearing a weighted vest and adding weight, switching to bar dips or hand stand presses. That is why barbells and dumbbells are prefered, they are much easier to make progression.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Well, I don't mind not progressing fast as I don't want to do it with pro equipment and take hours every day - but I'm willing to put aside effort for it just to do some basic workouts.
    Are you saying that without them I can't build up my shoulders a bit? (and I see picture on here of MAHUSIVE pecks and what not, I just want tone and slight build up)

I'm just wondering how often I should do what (that meets my criteria) (:
    sorry again for being picky xD

Nothing wrong with not wanting to lift weights. At least buy a pull up bar for $20.

Workout 3-5 times per week, start eating more to build muscle.

Just make sure you progress on all lifts. There are lots of sights you can Google to see how to do this.

Example: push ups, to clapping push ups, to double class, plyo clappers, and finally push up so explosively to rotate your body 180 degrees in the air and land.

Chin ups, to pull ups, to one arm pull ups, clapping pull ups, to muscle ups.

Handstand against a wall holds, to Handstand push ups, then walking on your hands, to doing Handstand push ups without a wall to balance.

Sit ups, planks, twists, etc to planches, full leg raises, and finally wind shield wipes and dragon flags.

All of the latter movements in each section are extremely difficult and take a great deal of overall body strength and skill. Not the same type of strength from benching and squatting heavy, but whatever right? I can bet if you get 10 super strong weight liters, maybe one or two could perform some of those final movements.

Forgive me for all those typos but I'm using a phone

And don't neglect your lower body. Do box jumps while increasing height and doing them while holding weight (books, bag of sand, etc.). Pistols are great too.

Wannabebig Member
    that's amazing, thanks so much!

1. What if I were to work out every day - would it hinder my progress?

2. Do I just do them as many reps 'till I drop, or is there a routine anyone would recommend?
    at the moment, and i'm sure this isn't good, I'm just doing as many as I can and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saarik View Post
    Well, I don't mind not progressing fast as I don't want to do it with pro equipment and take hours every day - but I'm willing to put aside effort for it just to do some basic workouts.
    Are you saying that without them I can't build up my shoulders a bit? (and I see picture on here of MAHUSIVE pecks and what not, I just want tone and slight build up)

Hand stand pushups.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Maybe you can workout everyday for now, the things you're doing don't put too much stress on your body. But as you try to progress you will find it much harder without rest days. And remember your body grows when its not working.

Read what's on the sites that r2473 listed.

Just use common sense. If can do 100 pushups pretty easy right now, try working on getting 100 clapping push ups, and move from there.

What everybody is trying to explain to you is; You will not make much difference in your appearance by just increasing the reps you can accomplish. That has a limited return. You have to find a way to progress to harder or heavier movements. The body needs a reason to change, give it one.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    One thing to consider with pushups is form: almost every novices pushup form, even those that are relatively fit and energetic, is total shit... total complete half-assed minimal range of motion and with flimsy core. Google/youtube some videos on proper pushup form and then either watch yourself carefully (and be honest!) or get a friend to observe as you perform pushups to standards; most people see the number of pushups they can do drop rather significantly. Using better form should make this basic move much more challenging.
    Last edited by NITF; 05-09-2012 at 05:52 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Cheers for the advice everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Saarik View Post

The above make you sound lazy and that you're looking for a easy/quick fix; no such thing.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal