The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Cutting weight or nor?

I have six weeks until a bench press competition. I currently weigh 225lbs and I either need to be 205 or 230. My question is do I cut or gain or just stay where I am at?! I appreciate any advise!!!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

What organization are you lifting in? Personally, I don't like to lose more then 10lbs for a meet. So dropping down from 225 to 205 is out of the question for me. IMO, I would just stay at 225.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Unless you're overtaking some kind of national and/or world record in the 205 weight class, I wouldn't bother dropping weight. 20lb can affect strength levels A LOT

Don't drop weight. Just compete.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

20 lbs is a LOT of weight when you're 225. Even if you manage to do it, you will be much weaker than you are now. Just stick with your current weight and weight whatever you weigh on meet day.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Why cut. Are you chasing a record? If no, just weigh what you weigh and have fun.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Just stay strong as possible and go lift.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Am i missing something? why not just compete at 220?

My 2 cents.............

If you are asking the question more then likely you are a newer to the game. So the answer should be obvious. Keep your body weight up and only concern yourself with your numbers and goals. Much to often you see guys cutting weight to get in a lighter weight class becuase they think there numbers at their normal body weight will bel more competitive. Maybe so but often when you cut weight you don't get your weight back where you need it to be and its not the same weight as it was prior to the weight cut. Unless your truly an exsperienced lifter with a lot on knowledge on cutting weight I wouldn't recomend it.

Don't get me wrong I have cut weight for more then my share of meets. I didn't start cutting weight until I was at the point in my "career" for lack of a bettter word until I was on the verge of breaking all-time records. If your going to put your body through a weight cut make it worth it for one. Two make sure you do your homework and get sound advice from exsperienced lifters that have been successful with cutting weight for meets. Make sure you have the propper hydration plan laid out and make sure you can endure the mental strain that cutting weight can put on your body.

My next meet I plan on trying something new play as you practice. What that means is I am not going to concern myself with weight classes. I'm going to go into the meet at what ever my body weight happens to be at the time. No cutting and no bloating after weigh ins. We often base out meet goals on how our training is. Well ask yourself this how many times do you cut weight before your heavy bench, squat, or deadlift day in training. Prettty sure the answer is going to be none. How many times to you intentionally put a crazy bloat on prior to those training days? Majority of the poeple will answer none.

I have been blessed with being friends and making friends with some of the baddest men to ever step on the platform...... Kennely, Rychlak, Crawford, Halbert, Patterson, Carpenter, Carroll, Frankle, Frey, Hussey, Hein, Brandenburg, just to name a few. the one thing that always remained the same is that they all said you have to have fun. Cutting weight and putting it back on is a challenge and not always fun.

Don't get me wrong i have had some fun dropping more then 20 lbs in a 24 hr period. But it was a crazy fun shared with guys like Jeff McVicar, Tony Runde, and Jake Cook. What we were doing wasn't so much fun as it was crazy but we helped each other through the crazyness to make it fun.

Hope this helps

I usually train @ 320 and cut down to 308. But ur talking about a bit drop for your size.

Find an organization to lift in which offers a 220 class or make the effort for your next competition to either drop to 205 by walking around at 212. Or put on some quality weight so you can be around 230 for 225. No need to carry excessive bodyfat weight if you aren't competing for all time records either.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Stay where you are for now you will have other oppurtunities to cut weight in the future dont add another thing that you have to do. Just have fun and enjoy competing
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #1 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    Primal Power Systems - ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Opticean Nitrean BCAA Multi Plus Results Creatine Caps Fish Oil ETS
    Anderson Powerlifting
    YOU CAN HAVE EXCUSES OR RESULTS, NOT BOTH

Banned
    Don't ever drop weight until you set world records.

And, listen to Rob. His answer was dead on.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    In Rob we trust....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!