Thread: SPF Ohio State Meet Write-up and Video

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

SPF Ohio State Meet Write-up and Video

Video

Things went really well this weekend. Thursday night I was 230 on the nose, and I knew that I would lose a couple pounds over night. Woke up Friday morning around 7AM at 227. Took 5 hot baths, and by 10AM i was down to 220.2. The class limit is 220.4 since it is based on KG's, so I was good to go. Drove an hour up to the meet site and weighed in around 11am, and luckily the meet scale was the same as mine. In the next hour, I put down 80grams of oats, 7oz of steak, and a large Wendy's chili with 4 packs of crackers along with 32oz of regular Gatorade and about half gallon of water. I followed that up with a Subway foot long with double meet, Fazoli's pasta with 3 breadsticks, and about 3 of my normal high carb day meals along with more Powerade and another gallon and 1/2 of water. Although it sounds like a ton of food (and it was), I felt like I could have eaten more and probably should have. By the end of the night, I was at 234.4 on the scale though, so I didn't do too bad.

Made it to the meet site at around 8:15 the next morning feeling good. Got some food in before warmups, and everything was running right on time. Mike Ferguson was the meet director, and he really does a good job keeping things on track. Worked up to 705, and the weights were moving really well. I opened with 775 and knew it wouldn't be any problem. Good lift and fast. "The" Louie Simmons was side judge for the day, and gave my training partner a tap when I reached depth which was pretty cool. On my second attempt, I chose 825 which would be a 20lb PR, and would put me on track for my pro total. Again, easy lift and moved really well. My training parters and I debated on the 3rd attempt on whether I should take a shot at 900 based on how things were going. In the end, I decided that I would rather play it conservative and go with 870, a lift I was sure I could get. It proved to be a good call and no problem, and a 65lb PR. 900 might be there now, but I wanted to concentrate on my total.

Benches didn't go nearly as well. The meet bench ended up having a hard and slick pad that nobody seemed to do well on all day. I worked up to an easy 535 to a 1-board in the warmup room, and opened with 570. I had some trouble setting my back on the bench, and I eneded up touching my opener way too high on my chest which was out of my groove. Although it doesn't look as bad on video as it felt, this lift took everything I had to complete. I almost decided to pass on my next 2 attempts, but decided to give 590 a run and see if I could groove it better. Technique wise, my 2nd went a whole lot better, but I was just too out of gas. 600 should be there no problem, but it will have to wait for another meet. Still a 30lb PR though so I was happy about that.

By the time deadlifts rolled around, I was pretty spent. I had to rush warmups a little bit and only ended up pulling 3 singles in the warmup room, going 225, 315, and 495. With my weight gain, my deadlift suit has started to fit a little too snug, and I had some problems getting down to the bar. Still, i only needed my opener to get my pro total, and I was very confident that it wouldn't be a problem. Opened with 625, not an issue. Went to 665 on my second attempt for a 5lb PR and to cross 2100. No problem there either. I decided to take a shot at 700 for my third, and made it to my knees, but was just too gassed to finish it. It will be there next meet for sure.

All in all, a really good day, PR's across the board which is never easy to do. 2105 total at 220 gives me 55lbs over pro, and 100lbs PR over my best total in 5 months. My squat and my total would both be in the top 10 nationally based on 2011 numbers, so hopefully they stay there this year. As always, Shelby Starnes did an amazing job helping me out with diet, getting me right where I wanted to be for the meet. I also give a ton of credit to my training partners for helping out and helping me to get to this point.
    750 - 500 - 615 - 1865 Total @198

870 - 570 - 665 - 2105 PRO Total @220

Outstanding lifting and great writeup, too, Zac. Congrats on the PRs and achieving pro status.
    Last edited by UncleAl; 05-13-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight Class: 165
    Squat (raw): 355
    Bench Press (raw): 265
    Deadlift (raw): 501.5

100 lb pr is awesome. Congrats.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Laura Phelps as the head judge too. Great job.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Great performance
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks guys! I have a couple of things to iron out on my bench and dead, but should be able to get things worked out by the time the pro-am rolls around in August. It will be strange lifting on Sunday this year after lifting on Saturday at the last 4.

Great tournament Zac. Also great storyline, as if I was there!

That's awesome! Good work.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    That's awesome! Good work.
    Thanks for providing a good forum to post on man, and great products too!

Quote Originally Posted by larsen540 View Post
    Great job
    Thanks!

Great job
    ADRIAN LARSEN
    #2 ranked All time 220lbs raw bench 585lbs
    www.fuelthedesire.com THE ALPHA PROJECT
    ELITE TRAINING EXTREME PERFORMANCE YOUTUBE VIDS
    AT LARGE NUTRITION
    ALN Supp Stack used - Nitrean Plus, BCAA, Multi Plus, Fish Oil, ETS