The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

What did I do to myself?? scary

March 2nd I was doing seated front lat pull downs 140lbs,3 sets of 10 as a warm up.I decided to do 20 per set and on the last one 20th I got an electric shock across my upper back?? went right up into my teeth.3 seconds later all was fine so I continued my work out.March 3rd woke up and felt like someone hit me with a sledgehammer dead center of my chest ,had troble breathing.Went to the doctor a week later and they did a slew of tests on my heart found nothing.They said my back muscles were extremely tense.Long story short 5 doctors later and 1 chiro , the said my c-7 rib was not positionned properly een though the xrays showed nothing???? My trapezius was super tensed up in protection mode.Today the chest tension is all but gone ,physio has helped my upper left side of back where the rib hurt when they pressed on it.Here is the problem I need opinions on: Why does my neck flare up and get tense like im carrying a 2 ton weight?? Then 10mins later it will go away.May come back in the day or not at all??? and why jaw tension?? where the joints are?? een teeth hurt sometimes when its really bad.Im haing less spasms then before and after two months im actually capable of sleeping on my back for a couple of hours ,where before that was out of the question?? The neck is what worries me? I mean rib hurts so neck and jaw hurts seriously>??? wtf?? I just want to go back to normal so I can weight train again I miss it so much I lost 22 ilbs since my injury and it seems to be taking foreer.........last point my neck when really bad makes me dizzy but I was told this was normal with a tense neck,could job stress and injury stres be the cause or do I nere damage? although some days I feel really good ??? opinions please? Doctors say MRI not worth it since they say all signs point to muslcular ? 5 doctors can't be wrong right??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

House Lannister
    Paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    Paragraphs.
    right? my eyes are bleeding
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Note to everyone.

He used up all the question marks.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

My goodness... very hard to read & follow.
    All this for a Pull down?!?!?!?!? (phew... I could still use a couple of question marks!)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidplasma View Post

March 2nd I was doing seated front lat pull downs 140lbs, (3 sets of 10 as a warm up.I decided to do 20 per set and on the last one 20th I got what felt like an electric shock across my upper back- it went right up into my teeth.

3 seconds later all was fine so I continued my work out.

March 3rd (the next day), I woke up and it felt like someone hit me with a sledgehammer dead center of my chest. I had trouble breathing. Went to the doctor a week later and they did a slew of tests on my heart found nothing. They said my back muscles were extremely tense.

Long story short 5 doctors later and 1 chiro , the said my c-7 rib was not positionned properly even though the xrays showed nothing.

Apparently, my trapezius was super tensed up in protection mode. Today the chest tension is all but gone, physiotherapy has helped my upper left side of back and the rib that hurt to the touch.

Here is the problem I need opinions on: Why does my neck flare up and get tense like im carrying a 2 ton weight, then 10mins later it will go away. When it happens, it may come back in the day or not at all. And why does this cause jaw tension where the joints are? Even my teeth hurt sometimes when its really bad.

I'm having fewer spasms then before and after two months im actually capable of sleeping on my back for a couple of hours, where before that was out of the question. The neck is what worries me, I mean rib hurts so neck and jaw hurts- this does not make sense. wtf?? I just want to go back to normal so I can weight train again- I miss it so much, I've lost 22 ilbs since my injury and it seems to be taking forever.........

Last point: my neck when really bad makes me dizzy but I was told this was normal with a tense neck,could job stress and injury stres be the cause or do I have nerve damage (although some days I feel really good)? opinions please?

Doctors say MRI not worth it since they say all signs point to muslcular ? 5 doctors can't be wrong right??
    Cleaned up.

I'd agree with your doctors, though honestly it sounds like you may have simply pinched a nerve or even torn part of your trapezius, both of which are very hard to see/diagnose easily. A pinched or damaged nerve in your neck could cause all the symptoms you're describing, from the jaw pain to neck tightness.

What sort of stretching/mobility exercises are you doing for your neck/upper back/shoulders?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Injuries like this can sometimes be a result of posture/technique, or sometimes due to strength imbalances. Until you have corrected the issue it will likely keep lingering when you resume training.

Have you tried going to an osteopathic doctor? They are real physicians but typically focus on root causes and fixing the true problem rather than prescribing medications/surgery to fix the results of the issue.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig New Member
    I apologize for the endless initial post ,my bad.I haven't seen an osteopathis doctor however after this week I certainly will.As for the stretches im doing now twice a day are as follows:
    1:Yoga back curl to attempt positionning the rib cage,12 morning,12 night.
    2:Three neck stretches, left arm on shoulder,right arm on shoulder head turn.Chin to torso.Front neck upward stretch while applying slight pressure with hand on lower neck
    3:Three jaw TMJ exercises to relax my jaws.

Wannabebig New Member
    Almost forgot I believe there has been some progress in my upper back pain.The heavy tension is really gone except occasionally the neck.Today when I stretched my neck I felt a heavy elastic tug under my left shoulder blade and my neck untensed a lot.
    Under my left shoulder blade it hurts much more but not a muscle tension pain or discomfort just simply pain(actually like this feeling better than tension).Jaws weren't too tense today,neck was much less tense.Now im just going to ask the evident question (whats doing this under my shoulder blade so I can fix it).Thank you all for the opinion.

When you say rib, you mean vertebrae right (I'm assuming since you say C7)? If your C7 isn't properly aligned, than that would mean your injury is definitely not muscular and will take some time to heal. Your trapezius is C3-C4, if you had a C7 lesion, everything from C8 down could potentially be affected. Chest and upper back pain could be possible, but face... not so much. If some parts of your spinal cord are compressed, you could definitely feel some dizziness.

The tense trapezius is probably a protective muscle spasm which is common in injuries and the irradiating pain is also typical of some injuries, it's called referred pain. For example, arthritis at the hip can cause knee pain, heart infarcts can cause pain through the arm, etc. It's normal, it sucks, but it happens.

The best thing right now is probably to continue physio, maybe try some unconventional medecine and let your neck rest for a bit. This is an injury that can take a while to heal.
    Last edited by K-R-M; 05-14-2012 at 03:24 PM.