Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ALLEN'S OFF SEASON Bodybuilding journal 2012-2013

Time OFF

I just got back from my vacation. I hadn't taken anytime off since April and my body needed it. I took a total of 6 days off, no weights and not set diet. I just relaxed and didn't think and ate pretty freely, although I never eat junk.

I ended up losing 6 lbs on vacation, which is typical for myself. I started back training yesterday and scaled things back to training each bodypart once per week and cut all Giant sets. I am doing a 6 day split:

1) Hams, traps, calves
    2) Chest, core
    3) Delts
    4) Quads
    5) Back
    6) Arms
    7) Day off

Wannabebig Member
    Good hearing from you again, maybe you were injured, but vacation is better of course.
    Hope you will be posting some of the new workouts you are planning to do.
    Looks like you will be doing each musclegroup once a week, or will you be doing
    loading and unloading circuits, so doing every muscle twice a week ? Eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Good hearing from you again, maybe you were injured, but vacation is better of course.
    Hope you will be posting some of the new workouts you are planning to do.
    Looks like you will be doing each musclegroup once a week, or will you be doing
    loading and unloading circuits, so doing every muscle twice a week ? Eric
    No injuries, body just needed a break. No circuits just straight sets, supersets, and drop sets

Hey Allen Im really enjoying following your workouts. What does your diet look like right now?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    Hey Allen Im really enjoying following your workouts. What does your diet look like right now?
    1) 2 cups egg whites, 75g quinoa, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter

2) 220g chicken, 250g potato, 3 fish oil

3) homemade protein bar (50p, 50c, 10f)

4) 220g chicken, 1.5 cup rice

5)Pre-workout: 35g vitargo, amino acids, etc..
    Intra-workout: 70g vitargo, amino acids
    Post-workout: 50g whey, 50g carbs from fruit & cereal

6) 220g chicken, 250g potato

7) 2 cups egg whites, 3 slices ezikiel bread, 2 slices turkey bacon, 1/2 tbsp peanut butter

Very nice with the new 6 day training split, liking the diet as well.

I'm all ears if you care to share your homemade bar(s) or your source on making them...buying 'em is cool but looking to start experimenting and making them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Very nice with the new 6 day training split, liking the diet as well.

I'm all ears if you care to share your homemade bar(s) or your source on making them...buying 'em is cool but looking to start experimenting and making them myself.
    The bars is made from whey protein, PB2, oatmeal, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg. I'm not 100% sure on the measurments for the recipe as my fiance makes them for our buisness. We own a Fit-Fresh-Food prep company where we prepare balanced healthy meals with the breakdown of pro, carbs, and fats in each serving and use minimal ingerdients. Things like quiche, lasagna, meatloaf, muffins, etc..

If I can remember I'll get the recipe and post it

Hams, traps, calves

1) Lying leg curl 6 x 8-15
    2) Standing one legged curls 4 x 10-12
    3) Seated Leg curl 4 x 12-15
    4) Stiff legged deadlifts (from floor to top of knees) 4 x 15

5) BB shrugs 5 x 10-15

6) Standing calf raise 4 x 20
    7) Seated calf raise 4 x 15

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    If I can remember I'll get the recipe and post it
    Please do Allen.

Awesome about your food prep company, wish you much success with that!

Chest

1) Flat BB press 3 x 12, 10, 8; 3 x 5
    2) Incline BB press 4 x 8-10
    3) Seated cable fly 4 x 8-10
    4) Flat DB press (feet on bench) 4 x 8-10
    5) Cable crossover 3 x 12-15

Hey Allen do you do straight sets or pyramid?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    Hey Allen do you do straight sets or pyramid?
    It varies. On strength or structural based exercises I do straight sets keeping weight the same for all sets. If I have a rep range I will either pyramid the weight or stay at the high or low end depending on how I feel that day

Back

1) Bent BB row 6 x 6-10
    2) Seated cable row 4 x 8-10
    3) One arm Pulldown 4 x 12
    4) Top half deadlift 4 x 10-12
    5) Behind neck Pulldown 3 x 12-15

Delts

1) Seated side lateral 6 x 6-12
    2) Heavy swing front raises 4 x 6-8
    3) Smith machine press 4 x 8-10
    4) One arm cable side lateral 4 x 12
    5) Rear delt machine 4 x 12-15

Quads

1) Leg press 6 x 8-15
    2) Walking Lunges 4 x 10 EL
    3) Horizontal leg press 4 x 12-15
    4) Leg ext. 4 x 10
    5) Adductor/Abductor superset 3 x 15-20

Hams, traps, calves

1) Seated leg curl 5 x 15-20
    2) Lying leg curl 4 x 12-15
    3) Standing one leg curls 4 x 10-12
    4) Good mornings 3 x 10-12

5) BB shrugs 6 x 8-10

6) Leg press calf raise 4 x 15
    7) Seated raise 4 x 15-20

Back

1) Pull ups 5 x 6-15
    2) 1 arm DB row on Incline bench 4 x 6-8
    3) Top end deadlifts 4 x 8-10
    4) Bent rows in SM 4 x 10-12
    5) Hammer S. Low row 3 x 8-10

Maintenance

After a 5 month gaining phase My morning weight has been at 220 lbs for last 3-4 weeks. At this point I will stay here for the next few months to let my body adjust to the new weight and it will make it easier to maintain. There always comes a point of diminishing returns when gaining weight and if you push too hard you will cause a lot of stress on the body whether its your joints or health in general.

I started having tendonitis in my elbows and after talking to my ART guy he said it was due to the extra weight and my body hadn't adjusted to it yet. I won't start dieting for my next contest until April of next year so i will probably do one more 6-8 week gaining phase before then to try and hit 225 lbs at the level of leaness I'm at right now.

My current macros are 350g protein, 400g carbs, 40g fat.

Smart thing to do right now, maintain what you've gained during this phase, you can always make further gains later on. Liking the split, this is something I plan to adopt, at least in part. Time is the key though, but I do like the idea of splitting the body up more...less luxury of skipping a session with a 6 day plan, lol.

Road Trip

My fiance and I are heading to Atlanta in the morning to go watch NPC Nationals. We are also going to catch a Miami Heat vs Atlanta Hawks game while we are there. Should be a lot of fun.

I have cooked up 7 meals to take along with our homemade meal replacement bars we sell, and of course Nitrean+ protein. I'll eat out a few times, keeping it pretty clean, and have large cheat meal Saturday night.

Shoulders:

1) Reverse pec deck 4 x 15-20
    2) Seated side lateral 4 x 12-15
    3) Seated front raises 3 x 10-12
    4) One arm cable side lateral 3 x 10-15 (only 30 sec rest)
    5) Hammer Strength press 3 x 15

Wannabebig Member
    Allen, Yesterday I read an article at mesomorphosis.com by Bill Roberts that the use of
    bodybuilding drugs in general but especialy testosterone is very high with NPC competiters.
    As a natural athlete like yourself, do you understand why these athletes take the risks
    that are involved with taking these drugs, it's not that they become rich by winning a
    contest at this level. Where I live we get random drug controles in the gym.
    First I was confused about it and angree, as a gymowner it's not pleasant that DEA busts in once in a while, but if I see how many young guys are taking steroids, even guys under 18 and only training for 3 months.
    I'm suprised that there are so many heavy bodybuilders in the US that I think that
    there's no priority of going after steroids in the US.
    Anyway it's always inspiring going to a contest and see all these massive muscleheads
    going on stage, I always love going to FIBO in Germany to see the monsters but when
    you know what price they sometimes have to pay for it, to me it's not worth it. eric

Quote Originally Posted by POWERZN View Post
    Allen, Yesterday I read an article at mesomorphosis.com by Bill Roberts that the use of
    bodybuilding drugs in general but especialy testosterone is very high with NPC competiters.
    As a natural athlete like yourself, do you understand why these athletes take the risks
    that are involved with taking these drugs, it's not that they become rich by winning a
    contest at this level. Where I live we get random drug controles in the gym.
    First I was confused about it and angree, as a gymowner it's not pleasant that DEA busts in once in a while, but if I see how many young guys are taking steroids, even guys under 18 and only training for 3 months.
    I'm suprised that there are so many heavy bodybuilders in the US that I think that
    there's no priority of going after steroids in the US.
    Anyway it's always inspiring going to a contest and see all these massive muscleheads
    going on stage, I always love going to FIBO in Germany to see the monsters but when
    you know what price they sometimes have to pay for it, to me it's not worth it. eric
    Do I understand why they take them, yes. The first thing is trying to be the best you can possibly be and keep the playing field even. I would estimate that 85% of the NPC athletes are taking something. Personally i don't judge and if that's the path they choose then they are responsible and should undestand the possible effects. I do beleive testosterone has its place, but yes some of the doses competitors take is very unhealthy. I also beleive that here in the US guys take way too much testosterone and they good get great results keeping testosterone lower and using higher amounts of anabolics and this would limit side effects. This is what i preach to my clients who use.

Also I make sure they get regular bloodwork done because steroids effect everyone differently. I personally know guys taking 1000mg of test per week and only weigh 175 lbs. If you are taking that much at that weight it just isn't in the cards for you to be one of those freaks on stage so step back and see if its really worth it, which is what each person has to decide for themselves.

I myself am on HRT right now. My last bloodwork came back and my test levels were on the low end so my doc has me on 100mg per week to keep it at the high end. I will continue to do this because low test levels have more health risks than moderatly high levels do. Of course as soon as i tell people I am taking testosterone they start stereotyping and saying "oh because your a bodybuilder".

Most of society needs to get their heads out of their asses when it comes to steroids. Yes they can cause serious side effects when taking too much, but so can asprin and alcohol. Its up to individuals to be responsible and I don't think our government should be focused on steroids, they should be focused on more harmful drugs, cocaine, heroin, oxycoton, etc... If you look at the list a top killers in the US steroids is number 112 on a top 200 list, alcohol is number 15, aspirin is number 10. See what i'm getting at?

The key is proper education instead of using the media who always blows things out of porportion. Sorry for the rant.

Time off

ts been a while since I posted due to opening a new fitness based Cafe and the holidays. I am taking off from weights the next 2 weeks thru Jan 5th. I am letting my joints rest as some nagging aches have not been getting better. So during this time period I will be getting ART, stretching a lot, and doing a few yoga classes.

I will be more relaxed on my diet meaning I will not measure anything and if I occassionaly want something I'll have it. I always enjoy the holidays and time with friends and family and don't stress about eating bad because thats just not my lifestyle and you only live once and should enjoy life. Thus isn't to say you should have a free for all and eat every cookie and pie in sight. Just control portions and throw some healthy fod in there.

After my break I will do one more 8 week gaining phase as I have 12 weeks til I start my contest/wedding prep.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    I have 12 weeks til I start my contest/wedding prep.
    Awesome, looking forward to that Allen!

Good luck with everything including the new Cafe and all business endeavors.

Starting back

After a 2 week break from training and relaxing on my diet I'm ready to start back. My goal over the next 8 weeks or so is to gain around 10-15 lbs. I lost about 4 lbs while I was off but it should come back fairly quick.

I am starting back with a traditional program and a 5 day split of the following:
    Day 1: Shoulders
    Day 2: Arms
    Day 3: Legs
    Day 4: off
    Day 5: Chest
    Day 6: Back
    Day 7: off

My diet will start around 350g protein, 300g carbs, 40g fat. I will gradually increase as i build up intensity over the next couple weeks.

Here is what I did today for Shoulders:

one arm DB snatch pyramid warm ups then 4 X's 4-6 each arm
    bent DB laterals 1 warm up then 3 X's 10-12 reps
    one arm cable side laterals 3 X's 12-15 reps
    machine shoulder press 3 X's 15
    DB front Swings 3 X's 10-12
    BB shrugs 3 X's 8-10 reps
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 01-07-2013 at 09:27 AM.