Thread: seated cable row vs hammer strength low row.

Blue veined member !

seated cable row vs hammer strength low row.

The hammer strength version seems to look better and trendier but is it ???

I know theyre practically the same excercise and both work the same muscle but the good thing I like about the good old seated row is the stretch you get on the lats on the eccentric phase...I probably sometimes lean too far over.

You`re probably all going to say to alternate between the two ? opinions please on what you all prefer ( that is if you`ve used both variations ).

Same goes for all hammer strength machines in general like plate loaded lat pulldowns, shoulder press, bench press etc.. Most of them have a better range of motion eg..lat pull comes down in an arc motion, bench press arcs and comes together at end of rep like a dumbell press etc....Do you guys think it makes much of a difference ???
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur

The Hammer "low row" at my gym is more of a bent over row type of motion. Should be good for a little more upper back development. Rhomboids, mid trap, and lat of course. Low row clearly uses those as well (compared to like a pulldown).

The plus is that you can't cheat and use your low back for some momentum.

-Fudo

Do an DB or BB row instead, leave the machines alone.

Actually I think that Hammer strength machines are some of the better machines out there. I think they work pretty good.

Simplistic
    I would personally use the machine, especially if you are doing heavy deads or squats. BB, t-bar, and cable rows put way to much stress on the lower back IMO.

Wannabebig Member
    dumbell rows-king of back

Dead lifts are the king of back exercises!

and I'd choose bent over BB rows over either the cable or the HS rows.

Blue veined member !

Re: Dead lifts are the king of back exercises!

Couldn`t agree more...some people say deadlifts dont really work your back only the erectors, traps and hams.

My god I havent been deadlifting for long but the first few times I did them, my entire back, rhomboids,erectors, teres, lats, traps..all were sore for days, when I`d trained back before without deads I`d never felt that, even when doing specific excercises for each muscle. Deadlifts are indeed theking of back excercises.
    Rememeber after every dark night, comes a bright day so no matter how hard it gets stick ya chest out, keep ya head up and handle it ! - Tupac shakur