The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Sumo Deadlifts? Hex Bar Deadlifts? Or Rack Pulls?- Which One Is Easier On the Back?

Guys, from your own personal experience which one is easier on the lower back while hitting the hamstrings & glutes hard?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    I forgot to add that I used to deadlift heavy once a week, but had to give them up 8-10 months ago due to a job change. I'm a route salesamn and am on my feet 11-14 hours a day. Conventional deads used to drain me for days! I'm getting the urge to start deadlifting again. There's nothing like picking up some heavy iron! I'm just looking for an option that's a "little" less taxing on the lower back.

You could try sumo dead lifts. It should help to take some of the pressure off your lower back.
    Last edited by Cards; 05-23-2012 at 05:30 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Rob Schilke | GFX Designer thecityalive's Avatar
    With a rack pull, you could do those sumo as well. Remember training only impartials may lead to less desired results (say if you wanted to get your actual deadlifts from the floor up)...but they will certainly be better on your back than from the floor. Hex bar depending on if you have a super hex bar (one with both a regular and high grip) may also vary based on where you place your grip. Generally, I feel the hex bar movement in my quads more and use it as a barbell hack squat alternative.
    My road to powerlifting:
    ===thecityalive is dead meat===
    Current RAW PRs:
    Bench: 255 (9/30/13)
    Dead: 515 (9/2/13)
    Squat: 435 (9/26/13)
    Total: 1205 lbs.
    twitter @thecityalive

For me, Hex DL Bar.

I miss that piece of equipment. Damn gym closing.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

I do rack pulls for now to strengthin the lower back as I hurt it a while back. I have seen good results so far but will be going back to deadlifts at some point.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    may wanna give rdls a shot too.

Hex bar all the way man.
    Rack deadlifts are garbage for anything other than assistance work. Sumo places a lot of load on the spine.

For functional strength hex bar is as good as any other deadlift. And you can use huge weight too Make sure to get one without the raised handles.
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    If you are trying to avoid strain on your Low Back then why not use movements like Leg Press, Standing Leg Curl, etc.?

For a deadlift variation I would go with a Trap Bar (Hex Bar) and potentially pull off of blocks or using higher handles to further reduce the chance of injury. I would also use low rep range and lower weights with short rest periods to increase intensity (pulling lower reps will reduce risk of injury, but the short rest periods will keep it challenging).

My advice if you have an injury is to avoid deadlifting all together until you have healed, and if you want to train your posterior chain you can use machines and perform isolation movements where your back is supported/neutral.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by patricky View Post
    Hex bar all the way man.
    Rack deadlifts are garbage for anything other than assistance work. Sumo places a lot of load on the spine.

For functional strength hex bar is as good as any other deadlift. And you can use huge weight too Make sure to get one without the raised handles.
    Got a link to where to buy one?
    And does using a hex bar really have the same benefit as a normal deadlift? And less lower back pain. That's my biggest problem.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Tom Mutaffis found a deal on regular trap bars for $85 shipped here

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-We...3416255&sr=8-5
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Quote Originally Posted by thecityalive View Post
    Tom Mutaffis found a deal on regular trap bars for $85 shipped here

http://www.amazon.com/Cap-Barbell-We...3416255&sr=8-5
    Awesome thanks man. How does doing deadlifts with them put less pressure on the spine/lower back?

Physics, really.

Think of your body as one big lever moving mass. In a straight bar deadlift, your body is placed behind the center of mass in which your hip acts as the pivot point for the motion. The center of mass is still going to be at the bar, but because you are positioned further away from this center of mass, your erectors have to work more to execute the lift.

In a hex/trap bar deadlift, your body is positioned directly center of the weight, which changes the angle you have to move. Your hips are closer in line with the center of mass (of the weight) and enables you to be more mechanically efficient. The result of this reduced angle causes less stress on the erectors and becomes more of a leg-centered movement.

Weight lifting is just a game of physics and knowing how to be the most efficient at it (imo).
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

becomes more of a leg-centered movement.
    Will it still work the muscle groups as well as a regular deadlift? Your statment above kinda confused me. And thanks for the great write up.

Yes. You are still going to see some benefit in your erectors, the hex bar just swings the ratios towards the quads a bit more.
    My road to powerlifting:
    Current RAW PRs:
    twitter @thecityalive

Yes. You are still going to see some benefit in your erectors, the hex bar just swings the ratios towards the quads a bit more.
    Awesome. Thank you.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    If you are trying to avoid strain on your Low Back then why not use movements like Leg Press, Standing Leg Curl, etc.?

For a deadlift variation I would go with a Trap Bar (Hex Bar) and potentially pull off of blocks or using higher handles to further reduce the chance of injury. I would also use low rep range and lower weights with short rest periods to increase intensity (pulling lower reps will reduce risk of injury, but the short rest periods will keep it challenging).

My advice if you have an injury is to avoid deadlifting all together until you have healed, and if you want to train your posterior chain you can use machines and perform isolation movements where your back is supported/neutral.
    I'm leaning towards buying a mega hex bar. I've heard ALOT of good things about it.