The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Sumo squats vs back/regular squats

Does one work better than the other? I'm trying to find a replacement of regular squats as I hurt my shoulder by the bar slipping forward racking the weight back up. I looked up sumo squats and it seems it works all the same muscle groups. So what do you guys say? Thanks

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wider the stance, the more emphasis is put on the hips/hams. On any movement. Deads, squats, good mornings, etc.

Do you mean replacing squats with sumo deadlifts?

Because if you use a Sumo stance to squat (wide stance), you still have to put the bar on your back and will still have to rack it, so I'm not sure how changing the stance will spare your shoulder?

If your shoulder is recovering from an injury, you could try safety squats for a while if you have access to such a bar since it is easier on the shoulder.

In the long run, I think it would benefit finding a way to squat and get the skill of keeping the bar in place when you re-rack. I'm still trying to figure out how it slipped forward when racking?

If right now you can't put the bar on your back, the Sumo Deadlift is a good exericise. Trap bar deadlifts can be a good temporary sub.

Quote Originally Posted by RFabsik View Post
    Do you mean replacing squats with sumo deadlifts?

Because if you use a Sumo stance to squat (wide stance), you still have to put the bar on your back and will still have to rack it, so I'm not sure how changing the stance will spare your shoulder?

If your shoulder is recovering from an injury, you could try safety squats for a while if you have access to such a bar since it is easier on the shoulder.

In the long run, I think it would benefit finding a way to squat and get the skill of keeping the bar in place when you re-rack. I'm still trying to figure out how it slipped forward when racking?

If right now you can't put the bar on your back, the Sumo Deadlift is a good exericise. Trap bar deadlifts can be a good temporary sub.
    When I went to rack the weight back up I slipped forward putting all the weight against my shoulder blade. Same shoulder I have had several surgeries on.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!