Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Lilly's Training Journal

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member Brandon Lilly's Avatar

Brandon Lilly's Training Journal

Ok I have haphazardly kept a log here before, and I was hit or miss, but for various reasons I will be keeping my only log online here. So it will be updated, and if you like my training you will find it informative. I will also post all videos I make in here, I welcome any and all questions along with feedback on my own training.

I am currently training Raw for the June 23, XPC meet here in Columbus as I have already qualified for October I thought now would be a fine opportunity to see what Im made of without the protective gear.
    Last edited by chris mason; 06-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.

805 Squat
    Video

760 x 2
    Video

510 Bench
    Video

Current training split:

Tuesday- I dedicate to deadlifts. I have a three week wave I have been using with great success.
    Week 1- Max effort, always done raw or in briefs and from either a 4 inch block, 2 inch block, or standing on a two in block.
    Week 2-Speed against bands, waving the weight, always done full gear from the floor.
    Week 3-Deadlift assistance, bodybuilding movements for my back, and/or high reps on pin pulls, or squats.

Wednesday-Max Bench Day. I also have a three week wave I use. (Ive varied a little bit lately due to my raw goals)
    Week 1-Floor press, waving chains, and rep ranges
    Week 2-Heavy Rev Bands, or High Boards Raw
    Week 3-Shirt work

Friday-Squats
    I do no box squats, I do no bands from the floor, and every rep has an up call by my teammates. I wave my gear, and I do work sets, and then at the end I make two jumps, one straight weight, and one overload with reverse bands.

Sunday-Garbage Day
    This day is dedicated to a bodybuilding type routine for lagging muscle groups. Lately lots of shoulders, and legs. No speed bench? Well sometimes if I feel like it, but my raw bench and shirt have been going up just fine this way, so Im gonna milk it for as long as I can.
    I train at Lexen Xtreme in Grove City, OH. My current training partners are Jimmy Harris, Ryan Messmer, and a few others that rotate in on different days.

Current best total 2530 @ 307.2 BWT, April 2012 at RPS Powerpalooza

Current best Raw w/Wraps total 2105 @ 308.2 BWT, June 2012 at RPs Summerslam

Good to see you keeping a log in here man. It'll be good to see how another one of the strong gear guys train when they go raw. What are you shooting for at the meet?

Video

My plan today was to take a heavy deadlift. I needed to get a clear idea of where my pull is heading into the meet. I didn't want to try to go "all out" but needed to feel something heavy.

Deadlifts from Floor

145 x 5

325 x 3

505 x 1

695 x 1

775 x 1

This was a 20 lbs. PR over my best pull in a geared meet. As you can see I took a pretty lofty jump but it was one of those days I wanted to push myself mentally and physically. This was the result.

Accessories were very easy and almost non-existant today due to the meet drawing near, and coaching the other lifters. Just small stuff.
    I train at Lexen Xtreme in Grove City, OH. My current training partners are Jimmy Harris, Ryan Messmer, and a few others that rotate in on different days.

It's 6:35 in the morning and while I may seem like a super productive human being about to get my day started. I haven't been to sleep for five minutes. My problem is and always has been when it gets quiet I think about things. Random things like for example why a man would ever be able to invent things like a radio and so on. I know I probably make no sense right now because I took a lot of valerian root and melatonin and I still can't sleep. Im bout to get some coffee and do something awesome so stay tuned.

Sounds fairly normal to me. Some nights are just that way.

I'm excited to see so many MP lifters showing their versatility. You're looking like you'll make a very prominent mark in the raw community very soon.
    Whoever said "Good things come to those who wait" couldn't have amounted to much. If you want it get off your lazy ass and get it!!
    Proudly Sponsored by AtLarge Nutrition

Best raw lifts:
    Squat: 733
    Bench: 512
    Deadlift: 733
    Total:1951

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Good to see ya here brother a great place to log. look forward to advice and vids!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." Proudly sponsored by reactionnutrition.com
    Current PR total 1930 @ 198
    198 Comp prs 730 squat, 650 bench, 625 dead
    220 Comp prs 700 bench,606 dead

Justin- I very much respect the raw lifts and lifters, and since I qualified for October already I thought I'd take some time to have some fun, and try the raw side. Can't wait to see how it goes!!

Josh- I can't wait to see what the future holds! I'll post everything so ask away with any questions!

6/7/2012

Video

Flat Bench Press

Warm-Ups

135 x 15

135 x 10

225 x 10

275 x 8

315 x 5

365 x 3

405 x 2

455 x 1

495 x 1

515 x 1

530 x 1

315 x 15

Tricep Pressdowns

80 x 15 x 4 sets

Lat Pulldowns

180 x 15 x 3 sets

Bicep Curls

3 sets of 10

Abs

3 sets

Right now Im toning down the accessory work to heal up a little bit, so I get a lot of my volume from my main exercise. Things are going well as I hit the 530 pretty easily for me, and then had a good time after.

Video

Hey Brandon, putting up some bad ass numbers. When did you decide to do this raw meet? and how did you train for it?
    JERSEY IRON MEMBER
    BENCH ONLY

BEST BENCHES PRE INJURY(JUNE 12)
    780@242 MP
    820@275 MP

BEST BENCHES POST INJURY
    705@275 SP

Lexen Xtreme
    Hey Brandon, I've been keeping a log here for about 3 1/2 years. Check it out

Interesting take on post workout nutrition for sure.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

6/8/2012

785 x 1

Video

710 x 2

Video

Warm-Ups

245 x 5

425 x 3

605 x 2

710 x 2

785 x 1

This will be my last heavy squat before the meet. I felt much more under control and balanced with my narrower stance. My good friend Chad Smith pointed out my elbows flaring up, on my earlier sets I was focusing on this but as the weight got heavier I stopped doing it, its a must for me. I did some very light accessories as there were a lot of people squatting tonight and this close to a meet especially raw I want to scale back a lot. Just some high volume stuff. Great night by everyone.

Tim- Honestly I decided about three weeks ago to do it, but I guess you could say I've trained for it for 8 weeks. Since the RPS meet I have trained raw just to recover and give myself a mental break from the gear. I did lots of Olympic squats, front squats, high rep dead lifts etc. Basically I trained like I wanted to be a super strong bodybuilder. I quit focusing on singles and focused on trying to increase my triples and doubles. I've seen my deadlift climb 50 lbs in about 10 weeks. My best geared meet pull is 755 and I just pulled 775 raw.

Tonight was a good night. Worked up to my opening squat tonight, I was very excited for the gym, and really as the meet draws near I am increasingly more and more excited about this mini-vacation from geared lifting into the Raw world. I don't know if I was burned out on the gear or what but the past few months have been nice.

Squats

Warmups

600 x 1 w/Wraps

730 x 1 w/Wraps

This was the best depth I've hit to date, and by far the best the weight has felt on my back. I am very excited to see what the meet holds for me. I have my openers for the meet picked but my other attempts are all over the place. I have big expectations for myself, but I am also realistic that if I feel off at all there are no real adjustments to be made to help me on the day of the meet, so for now I'm really engraining my openers into my mind, and from there it's time to go to work.

Wannabebig New Member
    You mentioned that you will not be squatting 'heavy' again until the meet. Are you doing the same for the bench? The 530 looked quite easy.

Looking strong Mr. Beard
    You too brandon

Benched today for three easy pause rep sets of 315. 315 x 3 x 3. Followed up with tricep press downs, and lat pulldowns. I handed out to the young guys and worked on their shirts getting them set properly. I felt really strong and the way I can tell if I'm prepping properly is how weights feel in my hands. Right now 315 feels like nothing so 405 feels good and 500 feels solid. Just want to make smart strong attempts at the meet.

Sick total man, you left so much on the platform.
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Congrats on a great total this weekend!
    Owner Khaos Barbell in Auburn, Ga
    SPF Ga State Chairman
    Elite total at 198, 220 and 242
    Pro total at 242

your facebook posts have been nothing short of magical as of late brandon! awesome job on the raw meet, STRONG is STRONG! you proved that
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Good job at the meet man. Next time don't sandbag on those damn squats. You looked good for 850+ at least

My 2012 RPS Summerslam Meet Recap

Video

I will start from the night before weigh ins. Thursday I had checked my weight several times and had been sitting perfectly at 310 lbs. I like to be within 2-4 lbs. the day before as this causes me no stress and I allow myself small snacks through out the day. I weighed myself one last time around 7:30 pm and I was 308 so I got a box of pasta, one lb. of hamburger, and pasta sauce and this was my dinner.

Weigh Ins

Weigh-ins were a breeze 308 on the dot, and it was time to eat. In the past I have force fed all day, and by the morning of the meet Ive many times felt awful and sluggish. I decided this time to eat just a few bites past full at every meal.

Right off the scale I took a mixture of Bounce Back (horse electrolytes you can buy at Tractor Supply) and Crystal Light. This fluid is crucial because it pulls fluid not just into the stomach but actually goes a step further and pulls nutrients into the muscle. Right off the scale I drank 16 oz. of this blend. Here is the rest of my day...

8am- 2 Bacon Egg and Cheese Bagels, 2 Biscuit and Gravy, 32 oz Coke.

930am- 32oz Carb/Electrolyte Mix, and 40 gram protein bar

12pm-7 rolls of Sushi, 3 Unagi Sashimi, 80oz of water

2pm-Protein/Carb/Electrolyte shake 32oz

4pm-Grafitti Burger w/Extra Bleu Cheese, Order of Fries, 32oz Cherry Coke

6pm-Light Workout sipped 16oz of Electrolyte Fluid

730pm-Beef Rigatoni in Vodka Sauce (2 Cups), 32oz Water

10pm-Mellow Mushroom Pepperoni Pizza, and Donnas Gourmet Cookies. Two cans of MT Dew.

12am-Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches with Milk

Sleep by 1 am.

Meet Day

I got up around 6:30 to pee and I decided to stay up from this point on. I went to Kroger to get some Caffeine pills, and grab some McDonalds. My friends were wanting IHOP, which I love deeply, but on meet day I wanted to stick with a breakfast I eat up to five days a week. Two bacon egg and cheese bagels, and two biscuit and gravy with a Large Coke.

I rolled back to the casa, picked up Jessica, and my handler and his girl. We proceeded to IHOP where we had some of the slowest service you could imagine, and I bumped into legendary George Halbert who gave me some advice, and I took this as sign the day was going to be great.

Walked into the Sports Complex on Kenny Rd. and knew it was gonna be extremely hot in there so I positioned a fan in my direction, arranged my cooler and bag so that every thing was easy access, and I sat down to stay cool. I checked the flight lists and there were gonna be two large flights instead of three small ones, I thought this may work out in our favor but I would find out it was gonna be a slug of a day. How one flight with 23 lifters can take over two hours is beyond me, but it was not due to Danny or the MC, lifters were just slow moving. So I warmed up extremely slow, for me I do weird warm ups any way so I tried to drink and eat a lot and stay cool.

Squat Warmups

225 x 10

405 x 3

495 x 1

610 x 1

At this point I was done with my warm ups so I grabbed a chair and sat two feet from the walkthrough to the platform as this place was very cool, and my walking distance to the platform was minimal.

Squats

740-Deep, fast easy squat. I knew the potential for a big squat was there, got my opener now I was just going to have fun.

800-Got super amped up (something I don't allow myself to do) and rushed the unpack, got on my toes but decided it felt so good on my back I'd just roll with it. Bad idea, I never corrected my forward position and once I reversed it I could tell it was gonna be more of a good morning than a squat so I called for them to take it.

800-Perfect unrack, took a second and got a little more air, down and up!!! Easy squat! I felt good for more but I had achieved my goal.

Bench

Warmups

135 x 12

315 x 6

405 x 2

475-This lift was extremely easy, and in my mind it felt as an opener should. It left me with a lot of confidence going forward.

510-Danny was head judge now, and he told me before I laid down to make sure I held this one on my chest a hair longer so it didn't look like a touch and go. I touched, paused, and blasted it to the top. Now decision time... I felt very strong, but having not really practiced pausing this kind of weigh I decided to stay safe.

540-Corey Hayes, one of my handlers, told me to really squeeze my back hard and flex my triceps early out of the bottom. I did everything right and got it to the top, I slowed a little towards my lockout but think had I gone 550 it might have gone as well. This shows me Ive slacked off my raw lockout work a little bit, especially when incorporating a pause, but that is why we compete, to learn and test ourselves.

Deads

By the time deads had rolled around I was feeling very tired. Not from the meet, just from the heat of the building. It was 90 outside, and you actually felt relief going outside from inside. So I drank a lot of extra water in my downtime.

Warmups

225 x 3

405 x 1

At this point water was just sloshing in my stomach and I was on the verge of vomitting for close to 30 minutes and prevented me from taking my last warm up.

715-Super fast, a little heavier in my hands than I wanted but I believe this was due to me not taking my last warm up.

765-This one felt like I wanted it to. Fast, quick off the floor, and it gave me confidence for the one pull I wanted. 800.

800-This lift was and will be a lift for me that proves myself to me. So many people told me after Westside I would get no better. I have. People told me I'd never get my deadlift going again. I have. So for me the 800 was huge. I took ammonia (I never take ammonia), I tightened my belt beyond normal, and I got really amped up (I never do this before a lift). I pulled the bar crazy fast off the floor but my ass shot up, and I damn near still stiff legged it. Son of a bitch. Because I got outside myself and did everything I never do I cost myself a chance at a lifetime goal.

2105 total. This is really just setting in to me. I hit every single goal for the day minus the 800 deadlift, but most importantly I had a blast doing so. This will definitely not be the last time I lift raw. I have much higher goals than the numbers I displayed, and that is not me being cocky, that is me being driven. I am extremely proud of my day, but I believe I can do more and I plan to do so.

I have so many people to thank. First and foremost, Jess. Being my partner in this endeavor and in life means more than you will ever know. Danny Dague, what can I say about the meets you put on and the gym you run? You stood by me when everyone else walked away, you gave me belief in myself when I had none. You are a true friend. All my Lexen teammates, Jimmy Harris, Pat, Ryan, Mike Roush, Mike Johnston, Lynn, Pete, Frank, The Underwoods, My man Grizz, Jake, Pud, Burke, Chuck, Jay and Anastasia, and Nate (I hope I didn't forget anyone) all of you guys made me better mentally and physically. My guys and girls in the SS group all of you know who you are, and Pegg, Alva, Swede you guys all texted me and kicked my ass when I needed it. Corey, and Caitlyn for coming up to help me, and be a source of constant support, and a set of ears to bounce my training off of, Lance for allowing me in your gym when Im home, Chris Mason and AtLarge for being the best supplement sponsor ever!!, Mark Bell, Chad Smith, Brian Carroll, the Lillibridges, Big Nasty Chad Walker, Mr. Smith, Frankl, and AJ Roberts, and all my Facebook friends this meet was for you all, because I was very down just a few months back and all of you guys helped me find myself again in some way shape or form. I will be better for all of you as well.
    Last edited by Brandon Lilly; 07-05-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Proud of ya brother.I know and understand all you've been through.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit." Proudly sponsored by reactionnutrition.com
    Current PR total 1930 @ 198
    198 Comp prs 730 squat, 650 bench, 625 dead
    220 Comp prs 700 bench,606 dead