The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    WannabebigAZN

do I have to be huge to be Personal trainer?

Ok,

I have been training for 1 1/2 years.
    I am asian, 5 ft 10 173 lbs. I'm relatively lean with an ectorphic build.
    I am looking to be a personal trainer.
    Some of my friends laugh and think that I need to
    be a huge meat head to be a PT?
    What do you guys think?
    What does being humungous have to do with training someone.
    The target market are middle aged white woman who can afford expensive sessions anyways.

Their comment was a blow to my confidence.
    I agree that there are many that are in great shape, but a handfull of them are straight up fat. Being an oversized fatsos with a military hair cut like many of them are does not have anything to do with training someone.

I don't plan to stay at that weight. I plan to be a trim solid 180 lbs.

You guys are helping me out on this forum.

I need words of encouragement

=)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

...fattest...fatter...fat. WannaBeStrong's Avatar
    Most PT's I've seen aren't very big. You're a respectable weight, I wouldn't worry.

You would be big compared to PTs at my gym.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    Your friends aren't very bright if that is what they think. Most PTs are around your weight and some are even smaller. My training partner is a PT and he is 5'6 155 and is very knowledgable in the field.
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

i wish i were 173lbs.

Even at your height it won't be a problem.

Besides, if your target market is older women, i'm sure they'll be looking for that lean look anyways.

Hence, they'd pick you over a PT that looks like a pitbull on roids

cheers!
    Don't eat the yellow snow

WannabebigAZN
    I've decided to not worry about it.
    I already have my certification already.
    I am going to apply around some local gyms
    and still try to keep in shape.
    I hope that I will be 180 by the end of this year.
    Ideally, I would love to get to 190 and start dieting back
    down to 175 and be as strong as I was when I was 190.
    I'll be one fit vietnamese dude.

Grasshoppa
    Walk around to any gym...not all trainers are huge. One of my friends is a PT and he's what I consider a stick.

You just have to be fit and know your stuff I guess.
    Last edited by Shao-LiN; 06-14-2002 at 04:50 PM.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Originally posted by Shao-LiN
    Walk around to any gym...not all trainers are huge. One of my friends is a PT and he's what I consider a stick.

You just have to be fit and know your stuff I guess.
    Or be full of **** and certified
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

i think actually the mainsteam would be more drawn to someone of perhaps a good sized athletic build than a complete meathead.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Soca King
    Rycherx unfortunately your friends are thinking in terms of the stereotype view of a personal trainer.Yes being in good muscular shape adds credibilty to being a personal trainer but you don't to be a 200lbs plus piece of beef.You're fine the way you are just

1)Continue to improve on your own physique by gaining more size and strength.Your improvements will empower/motivate your client to improve his/herself.

2)Research and take the appropriate classes to gain your certification.

3)After recieving your certification,research/search out personal trainer oportunities.Perhaps first start of at your local gym since it'll be good entry level experience.

As with any completion of post secondary studies,you should always search out entry level oportunities that relate to your chosen field before moving to bigger better oportunities.

Like the Nike commercials say "Just Do It"

I'd pick a nice looking girl for my trainer !

Hi Rycherx, I have a question, how do you become a personal trainer, do you have to just take a test or go to college or someting, I want to make Pt my plan B in case A doesn't work and well I'd like to have some information about it... Anyone else also feel free to answer
    anyway thanks

oh btw, how munch in general is a PT payed?
    "Everyone around here has a 6-pack and I'm the only one with a keg" Homer Simpson

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    I've seen lots of personal trainers that were total chumps. Fat, skinny, or just plain not fit. They always have their clients do wierd **** like reverse grip cable pull-crunch raises. I've NEVER seen a personal trainer put a client on the bench, T-bar rows, deadlifts, or squats. It is rediculous.

3:16
    people like powerman and lat man would be very good personal trainers, but they are not big people.

most of us listern and agree with there advice.

there are bigger people like yates who also give good advice who looks like a meat head (no offense intended).

so form this i say size is not important for being a person trianer.

plus some trianers have been big etc, but gave up. and back to being small again.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

WannabebigAZN
    To be a PT is rather easy.
    There are some prestigious certifications out there
    from Coopers Institute, ACE, NSCA..etc...

I got mine from the ISCA.

You can do a web search on it. It costed me like two hundred bucks. I'm just starting out so I'll stick with the cheap certification first. If I stick with personal training, I'll get a few others.
    I heard the NSCA is hard. Half the people fail.

MOst of these certifications has nothing to do with trying to get people big. It is more improving their agility and strength.

I know a PT is making $120 k /year. Amazing how much these people can make and how they get away with not paying all their taxes.

Great career if you can sell your services and build a solid clientelle

You would be a 6 year old compared to the pt's at my gym. the smallest PT at my gym is probably 200 at 5'8.

There are quite a few PT's at my gym, and the smallest guy probably looks the most natural and he gets the most clients. my friend scott is 6'3 at 295 and he doesnt get too many, but he does get quite a bit. people will generally get a PT that they think they would want to most look like, or looks the healthiest. So if you buffed but relatively skinny your most likely going to get women, and if you weigh 290 at 5'10 and your solid muscle your probably going to get a middle aged man who wants to put on some serious mass. but people will watch you around the gym and see how knowledgable you are, and how well you treat/help someone.

Demographics plays a large role as well. When I started I was a light weight. Now that I've gained some size I've found that people approach me more often with questions. Personally I would hire a trainer that knows alot and knows how to apply his/her knowledge. I don't really care about their physique, though I wouldn't hire someone who doesn't train at all.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

The most successful guy at my gym sure as hell isnt the biggest or in the best shape, but he is smart in what he knows and he oushes people to their max!
    WHEN LIFE ****S YOU IN THE ASS, YOU GOTTA JUST TURN IT AROUND AND **** IT RIGHT BACK!!!!!! - ME

I am a fatass thank you very much! LOL

Bodylicious Babe

My max bench is @110 x 8

depends what your knowledge will be used towards, you have to be big to train a bodybuilder, but not the average gym goer.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

WannabebigAZN
    I heard that the majority of PT over 200 lbs don't make that much.
    They were ex highschool football players who think they know their stuff.

The ones who are raking in the $$ are between 5 ft 10 to 6 ft 2 between 170 to 195 lbs. They seem to fit the model build.
    Middle aged white woman are the ones paying $10k/year for personal training. You don't want to scare them with your mass.