The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can't sleep after leg/push workout

This happened again last night, and it seems to happen most nights after I've done legs earlier that day. When I lay down to go to bed, my legs aren't jumping or cramping, but I just can't get comfortable. I'm also kinda wired, and it takes until 2:30 or 3:00 before I can fall asleep. Yesterday I did this:

weighted dips 2 sets
    squats 2 sets
    standing calf raises 2 sets
    seated calf raises 2 sets
    overhead press 2 sets
    flyes 1 set
    triceps pressdown 1 set
    leg extension 1 set
    leg curl 1 set
    crunches 2 sets

16 sets total, none of them to failure. My pull routine has a similar number of sets, but I don't have any problem sleeping after it. I worked out for one hour, starting at 8:00. I ate afterward and had a snack at midnight. I was able to fall asleep sometime after 2:30. I can workout this late on pull day without any problem. Anybody else have this problem?
    Last edited by Delphi; 06-16-2002 at 07:54 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the same thing happened to me last night, your legs feel really weird, almost painful, and you cant sleep, i think its because lack of vitamin C, no joke, i took some and went back to bed, slept like a baby, of course i had the usual nightmare, but i slept

I've wondered if there's some supp that might help, myself. Has vitamin C worked for your before? I don't think I have a problem with sodium or potassium, becuase I drink Gatorade with whey immediately after the workout. One time I took some ZMA I had left over, but it didn't help last night.

Delphi - That sounds like the onset of overtraining. I've had this problem.

When you get this, does it last more than one night?

It starts to build up after a series of harder workouts, I notice I wake up early too, even if I'm still very tired. But the duration is usually one night, but on occasion has extended longer. I have noticed this phenomenon is most noticeable on leg day as well. You are staying away from failure, so that is interesting though -- I would think that you would be okay. Do you have any other "overtraining" symptoms?

Not that I'm aware of so far. I'm reaching new bests in reps or weights on most exercises every workout. I woke up at 7:00 this morning, but I usually get up at 5:00 or 5:30. I've been eating like a hog- I've gained 8 pounds over the last 6 weeks. I am getting tired of eating so much and drinking shakes, but decreased appetite is a symptom of overtraining. I'm still looking forward to every workout. I've got nagging forearm problems that I picked up from my HST experiments in March, but it's not going away because of what I do at work. I did some sheetrock repair yesterday on a closet ceiling, and the cutting/prying/nailing overhead sure bothered my forearms today. My back soreness from two months ago is gone, so I have healed one injury during this time.

ive never really thought about taking vitamin c before. yesterday while i was getting p'd off cause i couldnt sleep i remembered i forgot to take my vitamin C. i also ate a small meal.

Well, it could be the onset as I said, but maybe it's nothing more than your body dealing with the stress of a harder workout on that particular day. I think the latter is more likely. I would say as long as you have no other problems, just chalk it up to that.

I don't know what to recommend for falling asleep easier. Maybe a glass of wine?

Same thing happens to me

Only of a legs day does this occur to me. The simple solution is not to train legs so late. A leg workout is particularly stimulating on your CNS and this is what keeps you awake and restless at night. Think about it, you've just hammered your lower body entirely, your thighs and calves and no 3-4 hours later you expect to go to sleep? As far as supplements go theres nothing id advise that you should take. If you're body can't fall asleep you shouldn't try to make it. I don't mean to insult Inferior Design but vitamin C has nothing to do with sleep. Vitamin C is a fairly usless supplement because you get far beyond your daily need in the food you eat. The fact that he's associating it with sleep is merely superstition and it's probably the failure to follow his routine that made him believe there was some connection. If you don't understand what I mean think about this. Everyday I tie my shoes before I get in my car to drive to the gym. One day I don't tie my shoes and on the way to the gym I get in a car accident. From that day on I think had I tied my shoes up I'd never have got in that accident. Sounds foolish right? The vitamin C follows the same line of reasoning.

Intense workouts definately raise your metabolism. Just like running.

I try and workout earlier now.

GABA is great for sleeping, and increases GH. That and a couple Aleve is all I need.

Fudo

I get this problem with back workouts, specifically anything that was hard on my traps-- best thing I can tell you is to either take your choice of sedative or get some carbs in you before bed. Both have worked for me.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

How do the carbs work?

Honestly, I couldn't tell you.

I think its a relaxation effect more than anything, but I always get hot and my back feels very uncomfortable-- I usually drink a big glass of milk or two along with something like Kava Kava, and it puts me right to sleep.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I'm surprised to hear how many people this happens to. I've never heard of other people talking about it. I know it would help to lift earlier. What gets me is how this has never happened to me on pull day. I'd rather keep all the leg exercises on the same day, but I guess I could also do quads on push day and hams/calves on pull day.

I've never really thought about it

It happens to a few of my friends that lift so it's never been too weird from me. I advise you stay away from sleep aids/sedatives/natural remedies for sleep because you will become dependent on them. Sleep is something that you shouldn't be worrying about unless you have prolonged periods of disturbed sleep (ie greater than 2 weeks of disturbed sleep). Adjust the workout time if possible, try bumping it up to 6pm see if that helps, also try drinking a glass or two of milk 30min-60min before you try to sleep.

working out makes me sleep better

Not only do I sleep longer hours, but i sleep deeper when i'm recovering

bah, usually takes me over an hour to get to sleep, regardless of working out Any suggestions?
    "I'm gonna die with a dumbell in my hand." - stpatrick44

Age: 18 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 80kgs (176lbs) | BF%: dunno
    --
    BB Bench 1 x 110kgs (242lbs) | Deadlift: 135kgs (300lbs) x 2 | Current Routine: Bodybuilding

There is a condition called Restless Leg Syndrome that many people suffer from including me. And yes I have it worse on leg days and cardio days. There are lots of web sites regarding this condition and very few metion any kind of treatment. I'm currently checking in to homeopathic treatments if I find anything I'll post it.
    sometimes slowly

My stats:
    Age - 43
    ht - 5' - 7"
    wt - 152 lbs
    bf% - 10.5%
    pipe dream goal 175 lbs @ 10% bf
    making the switch to power lifting