Thread: Rhabdomyolysis

Rhabdomyolysis

Has this become the big thing lately? Just curious, seen in crop up in quite a few places here and there. Wondering why Crossfit in particular seems to be raising awareness of it.

A number of my friends (including ER physicians, internal med guys) are ultra endurance types, quite aware of what causes it, and through conversations with them over the years I'm quite puzzled that this seems to be an emphasis.

None of what most folks do on this board, EXCEPT strongman, is likely to lead to rhabdo- it's FAR more common in impact sports or excessively long duration of exertion with insufficient recovery (like 8-9 hour football workouts). And the precautionary measures that need to be taken, if it's a concern, are FAR more involved than simple exercise substitution.

Just throwing it out there, curious what people's take on it was.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

The reason it is heard of so much in the crossfit circles is because someone died from it and got it from a crossfit wod. I never really worry about it but then again I don't do stupid workouts like 100 pullups, 100 pushups, 100 situps, and 100 squats for time.

Ahh, see, that would make sense then.

I guess my main concern is that it CAN be a serious issue, but the most important thing to bear in mind is proper hydration- at the end of the day, fluids are the number one treatment for rhabdo.

Evidence does seem to indicate that excessive eccentric movements (which pushups, situps, and the like do include) can increase the likelihood of developing it, but the real main issues are making sure to drink enough, and making sure you're performing well inside your performance envelope- when exercise gets sloppy, more trauma is done.

Anyway, thanks for giving me the context. Seen it a few times, wondering why it was cropping up. It's something I honestly think EVERYBODY should be aware of, but few should worry about. GHR sit ups are no more likely to cause it than any other repetitive bodyweight exercise with a large ROM. (Pull-ups, dips, lunges, pushups, squat thrusts, etc. etc. etc.)

Cheers all.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

I don't think the CrossFitter died from it and I don't think it was an actual CrossFitter at a box. If my memory serves it was a guy who's trainer use CF workouts or variations of them. The guy got it and then either sued, or tried to sue the trainer. It then got associated with CF and CF's incredible growth has likely fueled the who rhabdo chatter...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

From what I understand, it's not super common in the Crossfit world, but it's more that the Crossfit WOD components and combinations combined with the competitive nature of a Crossfit environment can be a dangerous mix for a newer athlete with a very competitive nature--and especially one who performed at a high level before but is coming off of a long layoff. They tend to go full blast and aren't conditioned for the high rep schemes, etc.

It seems like most of the chatter about Rhabdo is more about awareness for the coaches. Most responsible ones will acclimate new members gradually even if they're already in "good shape". My gym always gives any new member a scaled workout for a while, so even if they go all out, it's safe. We've had such exploding growth recently they've implemented a mandatory beginner class, and it's the only one they're allowed to attend for the first few weeks.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083