The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Resistance Training vs Weights?

Hey all,

I've bought resistance bands, which are a great workout, but I'm a little confused as to what kind of a routine I should be doing.

The two I've been told to do (by two people on each side) are as follows:

As much as you can for 4 minutes and stop.

vs.

6-12 Reps max. (with suitable weight)

My suspicions are that the first is (RESISTANCE) fat burning and the second is muscle building (WEIGHTS) - but I just want muscle building.

Can anyone share light on this? Maybe it was just poorly explained/I had something in my ear(s)
    Cheers
    Last edited by Saarik; 06-10-2012 at 07:01 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

is this on top of your current routine or is this your routine?
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member
    I've yet to start - it will be my routine

If your goal is muscle building, buy a barbell.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I'm not buying anything else, simply because I don't have the money. I bought these because I heard that you can build muscle with these better, as your muscles have to work on stabilising the tension all through the lift/fly whatever you're doing, on top of the normal rep. And the countless 5 star reviews.

ANYWAY, I wanted to know which of these do what, rather than how to build muscle.

Quote Originally Posted by Saarik View Post

vs.

My suspicions are that the first is (RESISTANCE) fat burning and the second is muscle building (WEIGHTS) - but I just want muscle building.
    Ok..simply put: The only reason why the whole 4 min resistance band thing might burn fat is because you are burning more calories. It really isn't anything special. With weights you will definitely build muscle if done right, and depending on your DIET, you might burn fat also. So yeah, just do the weights.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

I just want muscle building.
    ANYWAY, I wanted to know which of these do what, rather than how to build muscle.
    I guess I got confused when your first post said you wanted to build muscle, my mistake. Also, sorry, I didn't realize that these bands came with a 5 Star rating, they must be really good. I guess maybe you should mix the types of training so that you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time, if that's your goal (still not sure what your goals are). Good luck to you.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Whoopipally!

Haha, sorry to confuse you Off Road, but your comment didn't exactly answer my question. 'I just want muscle building' was background on my preference, but what I wanted to know was the difference between the effects of the two styles of exercise, but not equipment. I bought a Bodylastics set, a load of 5-star reviews on Amazon, I recommend them. Thanks!
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0026JOS4...SIN=B0026JOS4W

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I guess I got confused when your first post said you wanted to build muscle, my mistake. Also, sorry, I didn't realize that these bands came with a 5 Star rating, they must be really good. I guess maybe you should mix the types of training so that you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time, if that's your goal (still not sure what your goals are). Good luck to you.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Hey all,

I've bought resistance bands, which are a great workout, but I'm a little confused as to what kind of a routine I should be doing.

The two I've been told to do (by two people on each side) are as follows:

vs.

Can anyone share light on this? Maybe it was just poorly explained/I had something in my ear(s)
    Cheers
    1. Your title of "resistance training vs weights" is odd.. because using weights IS resistance training, lol.

2. In general, yea, the 6-12 or whatever would probably fit the "muscle building protocol" but I don't think it really matters. You're not going to build substantial muscle at all with simple resistance bands despite what amazon people rate them. The best you could hope for is a well laid out diet and maybe some fat loss. If thats not your goal, then youre kind of stuck.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I actually have a client getting quite strong using bands only at the moment (he's on the road, on set at a movie production a long way away from a gym). However, he's using the full set of bands over at elitefts- using the heavy bands for squats, medium/regular bands for push-ups, etc. The bands you've got up there are a little too light to really give you much, unless you can stack all of them together.

How much resistance are they capable of generating?

(ps- I'm not sure you can recommend them before even using them for a routine, let alone getting results)
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

33 levels of resistance from 3 lbs to 96 lbs. I guess it depends on someones definition of "strong".
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Ditch the bands and find a way to lift weights. Bands are a way to enhance training, but not the prime modality. It's like playing tennis with just the strings and no racquet.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.V View Post
    How much resistance are they capable of generating?

(ps- I'm not sure you can recommend them before even using them for a routine, let alone getting results)
    The started ones I bought are up to 96 lbs, but they go up to 328 lbs with other packs. I'm recommending them because I know what weights feel like, and these give the same IMMEDIATE effect. But you're right, I havn't been using em long enough for results

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    33 levels of resistance from 3 lbs to 96 lbs. I guess it depends on someones definition of "strong".
    And it seems you started off with more than 96 lbs? It's enough for me atm.

And it seems you started off with more than 96 lbs? It's enough for me atm.
    If they go up to 328 lbs, then you should be fine for a long time.

Too many people looking for different options... just lift weights dude...

Theres a reason people like Arnold, Ferrigno, Coleman use weights...

Guys, we had this same conversation with this guy just a while ago about using light dumbbells. He claimed then that he had no money to spend on a gym or a barbell. Same claim he's making here after shelling out ~$70.00 for this band system. He is either trolling us or he refuses to listen or he just wants us to agree with him (hence my last post). Either way I think we are waisting time trying to help, just agree with him and move on.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    just agree with him and move on.
    I agree with him, and I just moved on.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis