The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

Advice on Quick Muscle Building Routine

Hello,

I would like to build muscle fast. (been working on dropping over 100 pounds past year and now that it's off looking to build muscle.) After about two months I can slow down to a more gradual and then maintenance program.

I have access to a full gym with free weights and machines. I was thinking to go twice a day for an hour each time. 30 mins cardio (get blood flowing) and once through weight routine then again in the evening. One reason for this thought is often I find myself able to do a good strenous once through on the weight but on the second set not able to do nearly as good....with a little rest though I can push myself just as hard the second time through so I would do a second set mid-day or in the evening after work...desk job so I won't be worn out.

My next question is:
    Let's say I can curl 45 lbs 8 times with good smooth form.

So to go up in weight do I just jump to 47lbs and 6 reps and that's as good as it gets?

What if I jumped to 55lbs but was only able to do 2...but that two would be at 55lbs!!

So in summary if I'm wanting to build fast (BTW my diet is radically different and now able to support an intense workout program) do I go with the overload approach of fewer reps but almost unbearable weight or do I just accept that it will come in baby steps? Remember just looking for a couple months of big gain then will slow down and eventually level off.

TIA
    JB
    Last edited by ramjet; 06-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Build muscle... Do you want size or definition? Strength, or looks?

Also, a few people will recommend you choose a program and stick to it. The most popular that I see recommended are the HCT-12, or a 5/3/1 program.

Try reading up on the HCT-12 routine at the top of this page.

Welcome to the forum btw.
    Last edited by Big Dan; 06-10-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dan View Post
    Build muscle... Do you want size or definition? Strength, or looks?

Also, a few people will recommend you choose a program and stick to it. The most popular that I see recommended are the HCT-12, or a 5/3/1 program.

Try reading up on the HCT-12 routine at the top of this page.

Welcome to the forum btw.
    Mostly definition and looks. In other words I'm not trying to become a champion weightlifter. I just lost 100 pounds of fat now just looking to build some muscle and not be a skinny punk. Strong but not a he-man. I will read up on the HCT-12.

Thank you for the advice.
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by ramjet View Post
    Hello,

I would like to build muscle fast.
    Muscle growth is not a fast process. You'll need to invest into steroids if you want to speed it up as much as possible.

I have access to a full gym with free weights and machines. I was thinking to go twice a day for an hour each time. 30 mins cardio (get blood flowing) and once through weight routine then again in the evening.
    More work does not mean faster progress..and there is absolutely no reason you need to go to the gym twice a day.

My next question is:
    Let's say I can curl 45 lbs 8 times with good smooth form.

So to go up in weight do I just jump to 47lbs and 6 reps and that's as good as it gets?

What if I jumped to 55lbs but was only able to do 2...but that two would be at 55lbs!!
    It depends on how you set it up. Like, if you were doing 6-8 reps, then you'd increase the weight up to 50 lbs, and aim for 6. When you built back up to 8 reps, youd increase it again and repeat. Thats just one way to go about it.

or do I just accept that it will come in baby steps? Remember just looking for a couple months of big gain then will slow down and eventually level off.
    Everything will come in baby steps.. your gains included. I don't know what you think you can accomplish in just two months.. but in terms of composition, its not much. I think you need to have a more long term mind set rather than this quick fix crap.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    Muscle growth is not a fast process. You'll need to invest into steroids if you want to speed it up as much as possible.
    Not doing steroids and I am fine with your advice to take it as it comes. I am going to read up on the HCT-12 as mentioned earlier and I appreciate the time you took to share your knowledge witrh me.

JB
    Last edited by ramjet; 06-10-2012 at 04:07 PM.

Absolutely, 100% agree with Rich.

It's a very slow progress.

I also agree with Dan - three or four days a week on a proven routine (HCT12, 5/3/1, Starting Strength, Stronglifts) is all you need.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Ya, I can't believe steroids were even recommended to somebody on an open forum, much less an absolute beginner.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Ya, I can't believe steroids were even recommended to somebody on an open forum, much less an absolute beginner.
    He wanted fast muscle gain. I was being half sarcastic because of that fact. I guess the obvious isn't so obvious.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

In case no one said it yet, congratulations on losing 100 lbs. That's quite an accomplishment.
    "A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell." ~ C.S. Lewis