Thread: Olympic Bars

Wannabebig Member

Olympic Bars

Can anyone reccomend a good brand or website that I can purchase a good olympic bar from? All my search results keep bringing me to amazon.com and I dont trust the brands I see on there.

Thank you!

Isn't it cheaper to purchase a bar in person? Unless you're getting free shipping or something I'd recommend heading into a sporting goods store and purchasing whatever their carrying. I mean, unless your putting up 800+ pound press, as long is it conforms to the Olympic Standards, I can't imagine brand name would matter a whole lot - I'd be more concerned about the brand of the actual bench/rack.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Wannabebig Member
    You're correct that it would be cheaper, but the only reputable sports store in my area is Dicks and ive heard alot of complaints about their bars and weight sets. Alot of customers complaining on their review site that the olympic bars they are ordering that claim to be 45 pounds are actually only 35. There is also alot of complaints with the bars staying permanently bent. I plan to purchase the bar/weight combo from them but just for the weights the price alone is $180 for about 245 pounds which is a good deal, but I want to replace the bar it will come with.

Quote Originally Posted by bkoman View Post
    You're correct that it would be cheaper, but the only reputable sports store in my area is Dicks and ive heard alot of complaints about their bars and weight sets. Alot of customers complaining on their review site that the olympic bars they are ordering that claim to be 45 pounds are actually only 35. There is also alot of complaints with the bars staying permanently bent. I plan to purchase the bar/weight combo from them but just for the weights the price alone is $180 for about 245 pounds which is a good deal, but I want to replace the bar it will come with.
    That's interesting; I hadn't heard that, and I have a set I picked up a Dicks years ago that is still in great shape, albeit rusty. Have you tried Craigslist? Maybe someone else on here can help you out - I simply don't pay much attention to the brand of the bars/weights - I really only care about the benches/racks/shoes/shirts and wraps. Thanks for bringing this up though, I hadn't considered it.
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Wannabebig Member
    No problem. Thank you for replying and for your input!

What types of lifts are you using the bar for? Power lifts or Oly lifts?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Can anyone reccomend a good brand or website that I can purchase a good olympic bar from? All my search results keep bringing me to amazon.com and I dont trust the brands I see on there.

Thank you!
    Are you looking for a bar to use for olympic lifting (clean & jerk, snatch) or just for general training? There are very distinct differences in bars and if you are looking for a high quality bar it will be specific to your needs, although there are some that can work for both if you need a good 'all around' bar.

It would also be helpful to know your budget and general location (City, State) as that will factor into recommendations.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Now that I think of it i'll probably be needing more than just one bar. I'll be using them for mainly deadlifts, clean + press, front squats, rows, OH press, and hopefully one of the bars can replace the old bar for my bench.

My budget right now is right around $500, and I live in a town thats about 30 minutes north of Boston, MA.

Thanks guys

With a $500 budget, you should be able to pick up a very nice barbell. I've bought a lot from these three companies and been happy w. product and customer service.
    http://www.elitefts.net/Default.asp
    http://www.roguefitness.com/
    http://www.performbetter.com/webapp/...10151_10751_-1
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

For $350 this bar would be great for Olympic lifting but is also strong enough for powerlifting (comes with a lifetime warranty).

http://www.muscledriverusa.com/20kg-...ar-_p_795.html

I have cleaned over 300 lbs and deadlifted over 600 lbs with one of these bars and did not have any issues other than the weight being heavy (bar has good knurling and is durable).

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    To both sensei and tom, thank you for replying. I've got a few options to choose from now.

Tom, for the bar the you posted do you happen to know the overall length of it? I preferably would like a 6' or 7' bar if possible.

To both sensei and tom, thank you for replying. I've got a few options to choose from now.

Tom, for the bar the you posted do you happen to know the overall length of it? I preferably would like a 6' or 7' bar if possible.
    It is a 7' bar which is the standard for Olympic bars.

Another option if you are looking for something for a home gym would be to find a used commercial gym bar that is in good condition (straight, and not too rusted). You can typically find them on Craigslist for $50-125 depending on the brand and condition.

Also, one more bar to look at would be a Troy AOB-1500. I believe that this bar would provide you with the durability and versatility that you are looking for, and retails for around $200. Have never used this specific bar so I cannot provide a direct testimonial.

Wannabebig Member
    Just wanted to thank you guys for the help. I ended up purchasing one of the rogue bars. And if anyone is curious they had good customer service. Their email responses for my questions were fast and very informative.

Just wanted to thank you guys for the help. I ended up purchasing one of the rogue bars. And if anyone is curious they had good customer service. Their email responses for my questions were fast and very informative.
    Glad to hear that you were able to find what you were looking for.