Thread: How do you get over 300 grams of protein a day?

How do you get over 300 grams of protein a day?

I have a hard time coming close to it. Do I just have to down a lot of protein shakes? Fill me in on the secret. Eating that much is ridiculously expensive. Thanks

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

A big chicken breast and a large protein shake can amount to almost 100g itself haha. Just think efficiently. No need to overdose on one thing.
    (Raw)
    Bench: 350
    Squat: 475
    Dead: 500

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

1) you don't need 300 g of protein, 1 g per pound is more than enough.
    2) I use shakes mostly, g per g they are the cheapest.
    FOREVER
    STRONGER
    THAN
    ALL

Why do you think you need over 300?

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    Why do you think you need over 300?
    I remember hearing and I think on this site to eat 1.5 gram per lb of weight. And to eat what weight you want to be at. And I just realized I'm at that weight. I'm at ~200lb now and need to cut to 170lb. So how many grams of protein,carbs, and fat do you guy recommand? 1 gram per like the other poster said? .5 gram of fat per lb.
    Last edited by D-RAS03; 06-02-2012 at 07:44 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    1-2g per Body weight. I have always just ate what I wanted to weigh. So if your 175 and you want to weight 200. I'd eat just over 200g. But if your taking PH or AAS 2g per your current body weight is effective at packing on the Mass. Some will get fat from doing that. Just depends on your body type and how clean you eat..

Fish (fresh or Canned)
    Steak
    Cottage Cheese
    Eggs
    Protein Shakes 2-3 a day with at least 50g of Protein. Use Milk to add Calories and Protein.

frozen bags of chicken breasts from costco, one of those plus a serving or two of whole grain pasta and you are looking at 60-70g's of protein. Fairly cheap too. Shakes are definitely the easiest and most convenient way to get to a high protein total though
    6'1"
    200lbs
    Dead: 425
    Bench: 270
    Squat: 350

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-RAS03 View Post
    I have a hard time coming close to it. Do I just have to down a lot of protein shakes? Fill me in on the secret. Eating that much is ridiculously expensive. Thanks
    This could be your typical day.

Wake up 6 Am , keep a bedside shake with 45 grams of protein.
    8 Am break fast, 45 grams from eggs.
    11:30 Am meal from some place ( like chipotle 80 grams )
    3 Pm , pre workout ( Eat grilled fish , about 40 grams)
    6 pm, post workout ( 45 grams from shake )
    8 pm, dinner ( about 45 grams)
    11 pm good night shake ( about 45 grams)

If you need to be this hungry, you will need to do Am cardio and pretty heavy PM workouts.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 03mach421 View Post
    frozen bags of chicken breasts from costco, one of those plus a serving or two of whole grain pasta and you are looking at 60-70g's of protein. Fairly cheap too. Shakes are definitely the easiest and most convenient way to get to a high protein total though
    I like their rotisserie chickens that are sold for $4.99. On the day I workout legs, I just eat one whole chicken post workout throwing away the back fat parts.

I eat over a pound of meat for lunch and sometimes dinner, just work up to it and its easily done. A pound of ground beef has 100-120g of protein. Before I could smash food like that I just filled in with protein shakes.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    I eat over a pound of meat for lunch and sometimes dinner, just work up to it and its easily done. A pound of ground beef has 100-120g of protein. Before I could smash food like that I just filled in with protein shakes.
    I have no problem eating that much food. It's the time I have available to me. The cost. Just hard to hit that number. But I'm down to doing 175grams now so that's a little easier.

Wannabebig Member
    I have no problem eating that much food. It's the time I have available to me. The cost. Just hard to hit that number. But I'm down to doing 175grams now so that's a little easier.
    Cost is a bigger factor for a lot of us who are in this sport. I am not sure if you heard about carb back loading. Try to look around and see if it fits your needs. Now I worry mostly about 1 or 2 meals than thinking about carrying tupperware everywhere I go.

Quote Originally Posted by su9062 View Post
    Cost is a bigger factor for a lot of us who are in this sport. I am not sure if you heard about carb back loading. Try to look around and see if it fits your needs. Now I worry mostly about 1 or 2 meals than thinking about carrying tupperware everywhere I go.

I looked this up but really didn't find much on it. Everywhere wants you to buy a book or cd. Do you have a link of what to do? Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    I looked this up but really didn't find much on it. Everywhere wants you to buy a book or cd. Do you have a link of what to do? Thanks
    There is another thread here which Vincent started. Keep it for reference http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...loading-thread

As for the backloading itself, it is not good if you are trying to lose weight.

This is the approach.

Do not have breakfast. Do coffee with heavy cream. If cannot do without breakfast, eat only protein and fats ( egg and cheese omlet )
    Lunch is the same, no carbs. Usually a good protein salad or a protein shake. You would have got about 80-100 grams of protein by now.
    Perform early evening workouts ( 3 to 5 pm). Then go crazy on carbs starting with the post workout shake( 40 grams each of carbs and protein). Eat whatever you can set your eyes on (Ice cream, burgers etc). I usually hit about 3000 calories per day with about 250 grams of protein. Doing it for about 2 months now and combined with HCT12, it's been really good so far.

On a different forum, some guy is posting his logs since last year day by day. It is very interesting and he is following it to the word. You will probably learn a lot from it. PM me for the link ?

On a side note, does anyone know if i can post a link from other forums or sites as a reference here ?

When I first heard about the approach, I thought I might be hungry the rest of the day. But truly, the food from the night before actually carries you through the day and you will have a really good amount of energy to carry out the workouts.

I think you're making it overly complicated. I skimmed some of the posts so maybe I missed it... but what is it exactly that you are trying to accomplish (gain or lose weight)?

Don't mess with carb cycling, front, or back loading until you've positively ascertained the amount of calories that you need to achieve whichever goal above it is that you have. From there you don't need an elaborate meal plan. Just have 1-20 meals per day that that amount of calories, eat sufficient protein (your bodyweight in pounds = grams of protein should be sufficient). Fill in the rest with pretty much whatever you want. Could you fine tune it and attempt to perfect every possible variable? Yeah. But it's not going to amount to anything if you can't manipulate your weight with precision by hitting the right calories.

Seriously. I eat 1-3 meals per day. My protein is 150-200g and 90% of the time purely from shakes. The rest of my calories are pretty much from whatever I please. Last night I went to the texas roadhouse and it was a caesar salad, sirloin steak, loaded baked potato, and bud light. Yes, you read that right. I'm dieting and meals like that are typical for me. I'm also rivaling the leanest I've ever been in my life and that includes diets past where I had elaborate carb cycling and dared not missed my predetermined daily macros by 3 or 4 grams!
    Last edited by Behemoth; 06-07-2012 at 07:13 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

At first the thread was made with me gaining weight but I achived it unnoticed. Didn't step on a scale for a while. But now I'm cutting. I'm 208 and need to drop to 170. So the thread got changed in the middle so people are probely getting confused. One thing says 300grams and now it's 170ish.

Wannabebig Member
    300 is a little bit high but when I was bulking strong I used to get a half chicken meal at boston marker for 7$. It came to 128 grams of protein and a little over a thousand calories including the sides.

Interesting post, behemoth..especially when so many are so religious about macros, avoiding sugars and everything else. I wonder why everyone is so crazy about all the macros when you can have just as much success not worrying about it and just hitting the right calories. You take creatine or any other supplements besides protein while cutting?

Banned
    u can stock up on chicked breast & tuna then have 3 servings of protein with milk and it could be achieved easily if u have the apetite which is nessecary for bodybuilders,good luck

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by su9062 View Post
    There is another thread here which Vincent started. Keep it for reference http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...loading-thread

As for the backloading itself, it is not good if you are trying to lose weight.

Please explain.

This is the approach.

Do not have breakfast. Do coffee with heavy cream. If cannot do without breakfast, eat only protein and fats ( egg and cheese omlet )

This suggestion is completely dependent on when you had your last meal the day before. Also, having or not having breakfast depends on your goals.

Lunch is the same, no carbs. Usually a good protein salad or a protein shake. You would have got about 80-100 grams of protein by now.

Carb backloading is a diet where the focus is not on the amount of protein. Instead, carbs are being kept minimal (below 30 grams, excluding fiber) and one needs to make sure to match fat in grams to protein. Most backloaders get anywhere between 0.8 - 1.3 grams/lb of BW.

Perform early evening workouts ( 3 to 5 pm). Then go crazy on carbs starting with the post workout shake( 40 grams each of carbs and protein). Eat whatever you can set your eyes on (Ice cream, burgers etc). I usually hit about 3000 calories per day with about 250 grams of protein. Doing it for about 2 months now and combined with HCT12, it's been really good so far.

Ice cream and burgers sounds great, but in reality a lot of people are finding that being a little cleaner (lower fat) with carbs (white rice, kid's cereal) to give better results.

On a different forum, some guy is posting his logs since last year day by day. It is very interesting and he is following it to the word. You will probably learn a lot from it. PM me for the link ?

Im assuming this is Siouxfan on T-nation. His log is indeed very helpful in seeing how one lays out the diet.

On a side note, does anyone know if i can post a link from other forums or sites as a reference here ?

I assume its fine, otherwise a mod will remove the link.

When I first heard about the approach, I thought I might be hungry the rest of the day. But truly, the food from the night before actually carries you through the day and you will have a really good amount of energy to carry out the workouts.

Most of the satiety comes from the high amount of fat you are supposed to eat. Most non training days i am getting 200+ grams of protein and 200+ grams of fat. This hardly feels like a diet, based on how full i am most of the time.
    I have been backloading for close to a half year now and love it. It has taken some trial and error but that is what i have actually enjoyed the most. I suggest you go to www.dangerouslyhardcore.com for more information regarding backloading.

Last, i second Behemoth's post. I have only chosen to do backloading as its the least amount of hassle. I have 2 meals a day, dont really worry about protein and i get carbs 3-4 times per week on which i plan my nights where i go out for dinner. I have done the 6-8 meals per day, 2g/lb of BW for quite some time and results have been similar if not better with what i am doing now.

Wannabebig Member
    You don't "need" a lot for muscle growth, but I try to get 25% - 40% of my calories per day from protein. Why? Because if I don't get it from protein, I have to get it from fat or carb, and I only want 20-25% from fat and 40-50% from carb. So it just works out that way.

If I ran far and lifted weights on any given day, I may eat up to 3000 calories. 40% of 3000 is 1200 calories from protein, or 300 grams. It is very difficult for me to find that much protein, so on a high calorie day I probably would not get more than 25% of my calories from protein.

I sometimes eat 4-5 Fage unflavored yogurts a day. Each is 18 grams, so I can get 100 grams from 5 of them.