Thread: Shoulder injury, need to alter routine, any ideas of what to do now?

Wannabebig New Member

Shoulder injury, need to alter routine, any ideas of what to do now?

I dislocated my right shoulder about two months ago (wasn't the first time it had popped out but it was definitely the worst - had to go to the ER to have it popped back in). I am going to need surgery for the shoulder eventually to make sure it doesn't chronically pop out later in life but I'm putting it off until the fall or winter when I'll be okay with spending four months in physical therapy.

I haven't been lifting at all since then. The doctor said that I could still lift, but to stay away from certain ones (he mentioned bench, squat, and any sort of military presses are a no-go - So I assume he meant that I couldn't do anything that involved raising my arm to shoulder level or higher). Said that I could still deadlift and do rows.

I've been following the same routine for the past few years, as follows:

Monday:
    Bench 3x5
    Barbell Row 3x5
    Dumbell Bench 2x10
    Dumbell Row 2x10

Tuesday:
    Squat 5x5
    Stiffleg Deadlift 3x8
    Leg Press 2x10
    Ab stuff (Situps, crunches, planks)

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Barbell Military Press 3x5
    Pullups 5x7
    Lat pulldowns 2x10
    Sitting military press 2x10
    Lateral Raise 2x12

Friday:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Front Squat 5x5
    Good Mornings 3x8
    Ab stuff (Situps, crunches, planks)

Which, because of the injury, now seems to be reduced to this:

Monday:
    Barbell Row 3x5
    Dumbell Row 2x10

Tuesday:
    Stiffleg Deadlift 3x8
    Leg Press 2x10
    Ab stuff (Situps, crunches)

Wednesday:
    Rest

Thursday:
    Maybe Lat pulldowns 2x10 (grabbing bar from underneath instead of over)

Friday:
    Deadlift 5x5
    Front Squat 5x5
    Ab stuff (Situps, crunches)

Clearly I need to add some things in to replace what I can't do anymore and maybe repeat certain lifts throughout the week since I can't do others. Does anyone have any ideas to build it back up to a full routine given my limitations with the injury? Thanks so much in advance.

Wannabebig Member
    Hmmn unfortunate that you can't bench. Ive had to give up bench before because of a shoulder injury too. Do you think you can do dips or pec flys to stimulate your chest?

I'm curious what the concern would be if you trained your shoulders?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Have you had an MRI?

I always recommend those that can afford to hire him look into hiring Eric Cressey.

Wannabebig New Member
    I have had an MRI, that's when I was told I needed surgery (not sure exactly what for) in order to make sure my shoulder doesn't chronically pop out later in life (I'm 22). I'm waiting til the fall/winter to do the surgery.

A friend suggested decline benching to remove some of the stress from my shoulder...I've tried it with light weight and it's doable but I feel like I'm putting myself at serious risk of dislocating it again if I do that regularly. Dips and pec-flys are out as well, so I need to figure out a lift that I can stimulate my chest with. Any ideas?

If it's any help I'm able to do rows, front squats (regular squats are too painful to do with the position my arm needs to be in), upright rows, BB high rows, very light DB shoulder raises, and deadlift.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapadosio View Post
    I have had an MRI, that's when I was told I needed surgery (not sure exactly what for) in order to make sure my shoulder doesn't chronically pop out later in life (I'm 22). I'm waiting til the fall/winter to do the surgery.

A friend suggested decline benching to remove some of the stress from my shoulder...I've tried it with light weight and it's doable but I feel like I'm putting myself at serious risk of dislocating it again if I do that regularly. Dips and pec-flys are out as well, so I need to figure out a lift that I can stimulate my chest with. Any ideas?

If it's any help I'm able to do rows, front squats (regular squats are too painful to do with the position my arm needs to be in), upright rows, BB high rows, very light DB shoulder raises, and deadlift.
    If your not sure why you NEED surgery than you need to have a doctor explain it to you in laymen's terms and discuss any non-surgical options you may want to try before electing for surgery. Also, it would always be a good idea to get a second opinion. I would ask your current doctor for a physical therapy prescription and ask the therapists about the surgeons in your area and go from there. I don't have a lot of knowledge of shoulder dislocations, although my current surgeon said my MRI shows signs that I have suffered from a dislocated shoulder. I would try and make my upper back strong as shit, and work on a lot of shoulder stabilization exercises (pushups, suspended pushups, bench with hanging weights /kettlebells, GCB bench, etc.).