The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How Have You Herniated Your Intervebral Discs

It seems a lot of elite powerlifters as well as some of you top dogs here have herniated discs. Wanted to ask how it happened, from deadlifts/squats with bad form? Or does it just give out on its own from overuse? I know perfect form is a must to being injury free and I can't seem to find out why/how people herniate their discs, besides Louie mentioning he broke his back the second time from doing good mornings too often without doing any GPP work. Is a lack of GPP/prehab a possible factor of herniating a discs? Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It can happen any way-- I've seen a lifter blow out under the bar in the warmup room, I have a friend who blew out two discs putting her bra on and I've seen a coworker blow a disc reaching for a trashbag.

Usually ther are signs something may happen- ie back pain.

Personally I think genetics and tight posterior chain (hamstrings, glutes, and hip flexors) muscles play a big role.
    Finally ELITE @ SHW..

Single ply: 931 squat, 760 bench, 530 deadlift and 2180 total
    Multi ply: 960 squat, 770 bench, 550 deadlift and 2250 total.

The next stop: PRO total.

HOO's Gym: building the strongest gym in the South, one plate at a time.

You lift heavy, you get injured sometimes. Eventually you learn what may be a sign that you need to back off or stop for the day, so hopefully it happens less often. But for anyone who trains hard for many years, there is a 100% chance of having some type of injury. I don't know anyone who has not.

To answer your question about back injuries though, the only times I've ever injured my back is from the deadlift.
    Last edited by April Mathis; 01-04-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    Best competition lifts:
    650lbs. raw squat
    441lbs. raw bench
    580lbs. raw deadlift
    1650lbs. raw total

I ruptured L5 two years ago picking up an empty bar. So bad they had to pull chunks of disc out of my spinal cord. It had been hurting for months after deads but I thought I could train through it and it would go away. Big lesson learned.
    Meet PR's (raw):

Squat: 500
    Bench: 360
    Dead: 525

Ask me about Jersey Iron Training

i have 2 herniated and an impinged nerve root...none of it came from lifting, actually I have no idea why i have it, but i do....and it seems like from all the lifting I've done has made it go away for the most part...

Wannabebig Member

Reviving this thread

I have had to take a few years off of weight training, due to two ruptured discs. I had 2 surgeries, both to remove bone and shave the disc, and generally clean up the area. Luckily, I didn't have any hardware put in.

I'm not a true power lifter, but I posted this here because I like doing the big 3. I feel if I would have posted this in the BB thread many would have said to skip squats and deads. I'm wondering if any of you have had a laminectomy? If so, do you still go at it? Do I really need to skip the squats and dead lifts?

I had a laminectomy. Have put 200 pounds on my total since then, most of it on my squat and dead.
    Meet PR's (raw):

I hurt mine shoveling snow 2 years ago.

Wannabebig Member
    That sounds promising jk. I work in corrections, and hurt my back restraining an inmate. The funny thing is it wasn't much of a restraint, but my back was not happy.

[QUOTE=3fingerVic;2562557]That sounds promising jk. I work in corrections, and hurt my back restraining an inmate. The funny thing is it wasn't much of a restraint, but my back was not happy.[/QUOTE
    Sometimes it doesn't take much bro. Key for me was getting back in the gym as quick as possible, as soon as I got cleared by the PT. Then I hit the lower back and abdominals hard (light weight, high reps) to really build up the core to protect the back as per the PTs suggestion. Really worked for me. I have no problems now. Just takes me longer to warmup because of some residual hamstring and hip tightness.
    Meet PR's (raw):

Wannabebig Member
    I had a diskectomy and laminectomy on l2-l3 and l3-l4 (I have 4 herniated total just from being a dick in the Army), in both cases I was back in the gym in a month or so, squatting and deadlifting (lightly) within 2 months and back to full strength (and then some) not long after.

Seems relevant to being old as well? I have seen a teen when I went to physical therapy who had a herniated disc (but I didn't ask him why)?

Want to ask, how many of you played rugby or football for a while before getting injured or have had back injuries from rugby or football?
    Murderous's Progress To A 1000lb Raw Total

Health and Fitness Articles

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

The injuries noted are usually the result of a culmination of stress over an extended period. I would say the #1 culprit is bad form.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    The injuries noted are usually the result of a culmination of stress over an extended period. I would say the #1 culprit is bad form.
    Exactly!
    Meet PR's (raw):

My l4-l5 and l5-s1 are fucked up, happened on an easy set of squats and I actually finished the set, after about a week I lost use of he back on my left leg and took about 3 months to get it back... I know it was from imbalances and overly tight hamstrings

hey man, check out this thread over at tnation http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...96632&pageNo=0

the links focus on increasing hip mobility and activating glutes. I've been doing alot of research on this. I have a bulge at L4-L5 and annular tear at L5-S1. The surgeon said get injections or get a replacement disc. I dont have time for the surgery right now so I've just been trying to strengthen my core, increase hip mobility, and increase glute activation. The McGill stuff is supposed to be good too. Depends how much pain you are in right now, but I think being aware of your posture throughout the day helps.

From what I read the lumbar spine is not meant to flex. This puts tons of shear force on the spine increasing the risk of a herniation. I think I injured my spine doing deadlifts, probably had bad form. The doc said I had a genetic predisposition, but I don't know if I believe him. He seemed pretty clueless when I asked him if I could train with this injury.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    hey man, check out this thread over at tnation http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_onl...96632&pageNo=0

the links focus on increasing hip mobility and activating glutes. I've been doing alot of research on this. I have a bulge at L4-L5 and annular tear at L5-S1. The surgeon said get injections or get a replacement disc. I dont have time for the surgery right now so I've just been trying to strengthen my core, increase hip mobility, and increase glute activation. The McGill stuff is supposed to be good too. Depends how much pain you are in right now, but I think being aware of your posture throughout the day helps.

From what I read the lumbar spine is not meant to flex. This puts tons of shear force on the spine increasing the risk of a herniation. I think I injured my spine doing deadlifts, probably had bad form. The doc said I had a genetic predisposition, but I don't know if I believe him. He seemed pretty clueless when I asked him if I could train with this injury.
    I was also told that I had the same genetic predisposition. Really what he said was that most larger framed men have narrow canals where the nerves run through the vertebrae, making the nerve easily pinched. Thanks for the link.

Thanks for the thread yayeti.

I, being 16, haven't had any lumbar disc issues but stretching my hips and glutes has made my lower back noticeably more mobile. My hamstring flexibility is still far from being flexible enough to do conventional deadlifts, but I want to ask if buttwink (when the spine curves from tight hams when you squat) caused your injury or hurts your lower back when you are in that position. My sacroiliac joints (which I recently injured again) get aggravated when my lumbar curves from squatting deep. Does your lumbar hurt from excessive buttwink?

"The task ahead of you is never as great as the power behind you" - Ephesians 6:10

Mine doesn't hurt when this happens. I was either reading or watching a video by Stuart McGill and he explained that you should not let this happen, because when it does, your lumbar spine goes into flexion and this puts abnormal amounts of stress on this area. I know Ive seen tons of videos of guys squatting insane weights and doing the buttwink which doesnt seem to bother them, but if you have a predisposition I would guess this might be a risk.

I can't pinpoint what herniated my disc. I never felt it happen. It was the next day when I felt pain and I thought it was just a muscle strain for the longest time until I had an MRI done a few months ago.

Tried squatting tonight for the first time in a while. It felt great. I've been doing alot of reading about back problems and squatting form. The most important things I got out of it was always protecting the lumbar spine and maintaining that arch...always. You are just asking for trouble when you flex your lumbar spine under load. Squatrx was always VERY informative. Makes me realize how bad my form was before which probably contributed to my injury. The buttwink is no good. Do what you can to improve mobility and flexibility of the hips and hamstrings but never let the lumbar spine go into flexion.

Also I see how important it is to keep your entire body tense while squatting. I used to let my body relax while "in the hole," did the buttwink, and my hips went up faster than my head which turned the squat into a good morning. Haha, what a noob!

Im going to try deadlifting a try this week after 4+ months off. Gonna work on keeping that arch solid and see what happens.

I was recommended to watch mobilitywod.com videos (the account is called sanfranciscocrossfit) on youtube by DPT Kelly Starret. I was told that the muscles are tensed up when trying to stretch them so placing a band around the hips when trying to stretch the hips and hamstrings do distract the hip capsule is they way he recommends stretching. He has a lot of videos and much of this is explained in his first videos on youtube. I tried it but not sure how much my hamstrings will stretch as months of traditional stretching aren't effective anymore. My issue is that I'm not flexible enough to do conventional deadlifts (I am 6 3' with long arms,) but giving this a try to see if I do gain any flexibility out of it. Stretching my hamstrings, glutes, and hips a lot has noticeably reduced my buttwink but it is still excessive.

BTW how is your core work yayeti?

Just a tip, it is way more easier staying upright in sumo than conventional so it might benefit you.
    Last edited by Murderous; 06-26-2012 at 02:12 AM.