The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Beginning to bulk

Hi guys, first post here, go easy on me. ;o)

Just after a bit of guidance really!

I'm a skinny guy (ectomorph is it?) & I attempted weights a year ago but to avail as I wasn't getting any gains at all, more toned than anything, despite eating relatively healthy in the process.

After a holiday away I've decided to give it another bash seeing as my motivation has reappeared from nowhere - I've looked at countless number of bulking up websites & forums & have a pretty good idea how many calories I need, food etc. which will help me gain. I looked back to a year ago & to my surprise when actually thinking about what I ate I was only eating around 2,000 calories - nowhere near enough I know.

I suppose what I need some advice on is an adequate eating plan that works around my job & hobbys. I work 5days a week, 7:30-4:30 & play Football on Saturdays. How would I go about getting a constant flow of calories? I understand I need to be hitting around 5,000 a day to notice improvements.

I have a physical job & have calculated that I burn in & around 2,000 calories per day (this won't include my weight training sessions which is around 500-750?) so I need to eat A LOT.

I'm 24 5"11 145lbs. Not the biggest. Would 170lbs be an achievable & realistic goal to aim for? I need to spend a few days to plan everything including meals, when to train etc aswell as somewhere to store all my info about what I've eaten? Like a calorie counter?

Many thanks in advance.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

At 145lbs you won't need anything like 5000cals to start with in order to see gains.

Take what you eat normally to stay at your usual weight then add 500cals.

Once your gains begin to slow, add 500 more. And so on. I've not really had to eat much more than 3000cals a day to keep seeing decent gains.

As for your goal of 170lbs - easily achieveable. I started off at 150lbs less than two years ago and this morning weighed myself at 202lbs.

Also, Fitday.com is a very good website for keeping a journal of what calories you consume.

Hope all that helps.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

145 at almost 6 foot, you need to eat everything and anything that's not nailed to the floor. Then, when you're no longer hungry, you need to eat more.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

150lbs to 202lbs....that's impressive!

Don't worry so much about counting calories right now, just focus on eating often and a lot with snacks inbetween like natural peanut butter & mixed nuts

How much should you look to gain per week if you want least fat gain possible?

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    Fat gain is inevitable, but for the majority about 2 lbs a week is a good pace imo.
    Bench: 315x3
    Squat: 455x2
    Dead: 500

Currently 6 ft, 230 lb.

"All people dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous ones, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible."

Quote Originally Posted by yayeti View Post
    On average 1-3 lbs a week, depending on if the individual is really thin. Now this is a average, it doesn't mean every single week you will or should gain weight. One week you may gain 2 lbs, the next only 1, and the next zero. Be patient and consistent.

If normal muscle gain is so variable week to week, how can you judge if the amount of calories you are getting is adequate? If I am cutting with 1800, where do I go if I want to gain muscle as fast as possible with minimal fat gain, once I am done cutting. Ive seen plenty of formulas where you use a multiplier anywhere from 16 to 20+.

How do you find that magic number of total calories that allows maximal muscle gain? If you start off adding 500 calories to your diet, and you come to one of those weeks that you gained 0 lbs, you might mistake this as a problem with your diet and start adding more which would mess things up.

And one last question...would I gain muscle faster if I said fuck it and didn't care about fat gain, instead of trying to stay lean?