The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: HCT-12?

Wannabebig Member

HCT-12?

I've taken my modified clone of Starting Strength as far as I feel is reasonable. The consistent increases in weight don't seem to be sustainable anymore, and I don't feel that it is for lack of effort. So, I've decided to give HCT-12 a shot.

I'm the type that likes to map out the entire workout (or a month's worth of workouts) before I set one foot in my weight room, so this will definitely be a change.

Looking at the HCT-12 structure, I have a really dumb question...

"If I use pull-ups for my vertical pulling movement, how do I gauge that?"

I know that I can bang out 6 pull-ups, so, do I just shoot for several of sets of 6, then do 2+2+2? I'm a little unclear on this.

Thanks in advance!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Get a dipping belt and add weight.

But do it gently - my shoulder still hurts from when I overdid the weighted dips.

Other than that, enjoy HCT-12! It's a good routine.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Wannabebig Member
    Hi. I'm just finishing up my third week. This is a great program. Thanks, guys, for the free program. Anyway, I do pull-ups, as well. The first week, I did a couple warm up sets then just did BW pullups. Now that I'm adding weight on the belt, I do a couple of bodyweight sets, add 5 lbs-do a set, 10-do a set, etc... I'm up to 20 lbs(for me, this is a huge improvement). So, I do a few sets and then do the "work set" with the 20 lbs. btw, I don't have a dip belt, I just use a short bungee cord and hang it from my lifting belt (that I never use anymore for DLs). It's amazing, once you start adding weight, how quickly you can go up. I know, I know, for most of you, my weight is pansy, but it's a start. Good luck. On my next cycle, I gotta find another chest exercise besides bench. It's just not going up like everything else. Either dips or incline. Any thoughts as to which is better. Or just keep benching 'til it gets going?

EDIT: For some reason when I search "HCT-12", I get no results. I think it's a good program. Isn't anyone else doing it? I thought there would be lots of threads.
    Last edited by Rusteee; 06-27-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    I like it!

I found myself thinking, "This is heavy, but I bet I could get another 6 reps with 10 more pounds." And then, I actually got it... a couple more times.

Cool program, cool concept, and looking forward to riding this one out.

Wannabebig Member
    On the bench, for me, there has always been a sticking point. It's never been one of my good lifts. I know my lifts are nowhere near a lot of these guys' (yet), but I just keep trying to push through. For me the biggest sticking point was convincing my body that I could do it. After that hurdle, I've been able to progress.

I vote for "stick to the bench and push on".

FWIW - as my squat got heavier, the bench got somewhat easier.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusteee View Post
    ... I know, I know, for most of you, my weight is pansy, but it's a start. ...
    pull ups with bodyweight plus 20lbs is actually pretty damn good by many standards... provided they are done with full range of motion.

Actually, tons of people have used it. I don't know why the search function is coming up with nothing? We have had tons of posts about it... Odd...

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Does the search syntax return the results "HCT not/without 12"? Putting the string in quotes may change that... ???

Edit: Nope.
    Last edited by MechEng; 06-28-2012 at 05:55 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    OK, if anyone cares....I typed in HCT12 and got pages of threads. Gotta go read now...

There you go .

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    I don't want to sound like a teeny-bopper spouting off a bunch of BS, but I just can't believe how good this program is. I finished up week 3 today. I'm sore, but nothing too bad. I'm eating more than ever. Funny, after bitching about bench not going up, it pushed it 10 lbs heavier today-using good form. Everything has gone up. I've been lifting for only three years, but these are not newbie gains AND I'm fricken' 50 years old! I'm feeling good!!! I guess I should show my appreciation...as soon as my protein gets low, I'll try nitrean+.

Wannabebig Member
    Question with anyone familiar with HCT-12. Finished up my first cycle and will be de-loading next week. Don't really want to, but i'll stick to the program. Anyway, the program calls for Squats and DLs/rackpulls on the same day. Doing Squats and DLs (I would rather do deadlifts than rackpulls-need more lower body work) on the same day is brutal. I don't want to bastardize the program, but is there a problem doing squats on day "A" (I'm doing the A-B-A-B schedule) and deadlifts on day "B"? Other than that, I'm not changing anything. Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Question with anyone familiar with HCT-12. Finished up my first cycle and will be de-loading next week. Don't really want to, but i'll stick to the program. Anyway, the program calls for Squats and DLs/rackpulls on the same day. Doing Squats and DLs (I would rather do deadlifts than rackpulls-need more lower body work) on the same day is brutal. I don't want to bastardize the program, but is there a problem doing squats on day "A" (I'm doing the A-B-A-B schedule) and deadlifts on day "B"? Other than that, I'm not changing anything. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
    You may want to go with the 3-day split if you are having trouble with recovery, I followed the three day template and liked it since you are only hitting the same muscle groups 2X/week every other week rather than every week.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Tom is correct (as usual). You say you want more work for your legs, but you also say you cannot recover from the work you are already doing. Those are opposing ideas. Give the three day routine a try and don't change the upper/lower split that the routine is based on.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

Wannabebig Member
    OK. Thanks to both of you. Yea, I don't want to change the way the routine is written. I assume it's thoughtfully written with certain exercises on each day for a reason. And, if 3-days is good enough for Tom (a beast), it's good enough for me.

Wannabebig Member
    I just finished reading an interview with Daniel Roberts...Tom, I didn't realize that you were involved in HCT-12. Anyway, in a Q/A thread, Daniel suggests, for the lower body routine, doing Squats/RackPulls one day, then DL/leg press the next. Sounds interesting. I may try that or just do the 3-day routine. I'm off work for the Summer. That's why I was doing the 4-day. Maybe my 50-year old body would prefer the 3-day, though. I did make continual progress during the first cycle. All PRs last week and even more exciting for me, straps not needed for DL anymore.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I just finished reading an interview with Daniel Roberts...Tom, I didn't realize that you were involved in HCT-12. Anyway, in a Q/A thread, Daniel suggests, for the lower body routine, doing Squats/RackPulls one day, then DL/leg press the next. Sounds interesting. I may try that or just do the 3-day routine. I'm off work for the Summer. That's why I was doing the 4-day. Maybe my 50-year old body would prefer the 3-day, though. I did make continual progress during the first cycle. All PRs last week and even more exciting for me, straps not needed for DL anymore.
    I did not contribute to writing the program but tested it when it was first released and provided some mentoring to others in the test group. It worked well for me and I was able to hit PR's (rep PR's) while building muscle and improving body composition. The nice thing about the 3-day split is that if you do not feel very good one day you could always move things around a little bit without having to worry as much about having recovery issues. It also gives you a fair amount of additional time for mobility work, core training, or conditioning.

You may want to create a training log and make sure to put HCT-12 in the title, there are quite a few people on this site who have followed the program and can help you along the way while also providing encouragement.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com